The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1989 Good Game Thread

By Smirt211
6/19/2020 3:08 pm
I think what he's saying is there's a strategy in place where on 1st and 10 - he's applying pressure to drop 'em back to 2nd and 12. I haven't looked nor will I - deeply.

I read between the lines, though. Push back and get into long situations right off the bat.

By setherick
6/19/2020 3:09 pm
This. And GP adjustment logic messes up A LOT of players.
Last edited at 6/19/2020 3:09 pm

By Cjfred68
6/19/2020 3:45 pm
setherick wrote:
You absolutely can if the GM you are playing has a bad game plan or a game plan that overcalls Long Passes on certain down and distances.

I hear you but these owners aren't being forced in long passing.....1st quarter....0-0.....1st and 10.....bombs away.....over and over again!
Last edited at 6/19/2020 3:45 pm

By Dogboyuk75
6/19/2020 3:49 pm
this is nature of the game im afraid,if coaches wanna build roster to attack short passing game or bring in strong arm quarterback fast receivers and be a deep ball team,game would be **** if we all played the same style

By Cjfred68
6/19/2020 3:57 pm
Dogboyuk75 wrote:
this is nature of the game im afraid,if coaches wanna build roster to attack short passing game or bring in strong arm quarterback fast receivers and be a deep ball team,game would be **** if we all played the same style

You act that their is a choice.....you think I dont wanna throw long passes because I prefer a short passing game?

I threw for over 9000 yards in the last stable version (4.3)....JBD destroyed long passing intentionally.....it doesn't work and to keep trying to throw long passes all game will win you nothing.

Anyone who has had success under 4.5 has had to adopt to the short passing game to win.....thats the way it is. The choice is do I adapt and win or not and lose.

The trick is You can still have long plays under the short passing game. I'm right around 5000 yards and 45 TDs a season

By Cjfred68
6/19/2020 4:02 pm
setherick wrote:
This. And GP adjustment logic messes up A LOT of players.

Pro Tip

Set GP TO ZERO

By Cjfred68
6/19/2020 4:16 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
I think what he's saying is there's a strategy in place where on 1st and 10 - he's applying pressure to drop 'em back to 2nd and 12. I haven't looked nor will I - deeply.

I read between the lines, though. Push back and get into long situations right off the bat.

Apply pressure how??? Why would I pass more on 2nd and 12??? If you get behind the chains, you are screwed most likely anyway so why not run on 3rd and 15 from your 20 yard line.

Does anyone honestly think long passing on 3rd and 15 is the play??? That's exactly what the defense expects.

Keep your GP set to 0....so 2nd and 10 is always 2nd and 10....3rd and 8 is always 3rd and 8.

Keep you play calling balanced regardless of down and distance. You are more likely to run for 15 yards or complete a short pass for 15 yards then complete long pass on 3rd and 15 when the defense with be in 100% pass key

By setherick
6/19/2020 4:28 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
Smirt211 wrote:

Apply pressure how??? Why would I pass more on 2nd and 12??? If you get behind the chains, you are screwed most likely anyway so why not run on 3rd and 15 from your 20 yard line.

While I agree with you in principle, this isn't how I read your team when I scouted you in Champions, and largely that's not what happened in our game.

Once you were behind in the count and the score, your team switched to passing a lot more on 3 Med/Long. Earlier in the first quarter of that game, you ran a lot more frequently on 3rd down: https://champions.myfootballnow.com/box/1905

For that game, I actually went with a pass prevent defensive scheme that deemphasized putting pressure on the QB in the 113 and 203 formations.

By Cjfred68
6/19/2020 4:28 pm
The Storms 15 sacks in last game

3rd and 9
Long pass

1st and 10
Long pass

3rd and 17
Long pass

3rd and 7
Long pass

3rd and 10
Medium pass

1st and 10
Long pass

1st and 10
Medium Pass

2nd and 18
Long pass

3rd and 28
Long pass

3rd and 4
Medium pass

1st and 10
Long pass

1st and 10
Medium pass

3rd and 16
Long pass

3rd and 8
Medium pass

3rd and 7
Medium pass

13/17 short 1 int
0/0 medium 6 sacks
0/4 long 9 sacks

By Cjfred68
6/19/2020 4:34 pm
setherick wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:
Smirt211 wrote:

While I agree with you in principle, this isn't how I read your team when I scouted you in Champions, and largely that's not what happened in our game.

Once you were behind in the count and the score, your team switched to passing a lot more on 3 Med/Long. Earlier in the first quarter of that game, you ran a lot more frequently on 3rd down: https://champions.myfootballnow.com/box/1905

For that game, I actually went with a pass prevent defensive scheme that deemphasized putting pressure on the QB in the 113 and 203 formations.

My team in Champions isn't a good example....I havent won with them in 3 seasons and spend very little time gameplanning with them. They are a roster being reconstructed so with them whatever happens happens. I own teams in 5 other leagues and win consistently with them, spend time gameplanning and compete for the title every season. I did win a title in Champions 5 seasons ago but traded away some talent and only building the roster is my concern in that league.