The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1986 Free Agency/Draft Chatter

By vcr5150
10/23/2019 3:57 pm
I am also good with the new direction. After all, everyone plays with the same pool of players, so its the same for everyone. I'm curious to see how things go down the road as everyone's roster ages (holding on to the higher rated players) and is forced to replace them.

In different leagues, I'm finding it tough to replenish specific positions. One league I am in, I have DE's in the 60's that play a lot - while in another league there are FA's in the mid70's available at the same positions. (edit to add:) The 2 leagues are similar in age.
Last edited at 10/23/2019 4:00 pm

By Infinity on Trial
10/23/2019 4:00 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
JDB addressed this somewhere

punisher, help us out

By Cjfred68
10/23/2019 4:15 pm
I dont know what the desired intent was to diminish the talent pool in the draft but its opened the gap between the haves and the have nots.

A team devoid of talent that goes 1-15 is lucky to get a starter or 2 in the draft which means nothing hits free agency and it's hard to close the gap.

I just feel if more talent was available in the draft....it opens up the game to trades and not signing 9 year vets to 6 year deals and a team that's bad can turn a team around in 2 to 3 seasons with good drafts.

Basically, it's like hey there use to be plenty of high 80s to 90s players before but not anymore so good luck if you dont have any already. This just means is 5 seasons 70s players will be the new 80s and everyone will have 60s players starting.

By Smirt211
10/23/2019 6:41 pm
My quick point of contention tailored to this league would be....

if you have once former elite players retire and/or you're trying to ascend your talent base to contend - how do you do it?

FA was 10 year and up players and if I recall NOT 1 play maker whom could be inserted in to do damage. Sprinkle in the draft and where are you going?

It's never going to happen but this specific league probably needs a reset button dispersal draft.

Update: I'll edit for an example. My WR #1 will be 30 at the season flip (speed dives) and I never tank. High chance I'll pick 15 or later. Lets say I fight hard and pick 20 plus. I'm not going to be able to fix that hole and others will open up alongside it. FA will provide no support. It goes on and on. :(
Last edited at 10/23/2019 6:48 pm

By Cjfred68
10/23/2019 6:52 pm
2 ways

The Rams way......

Trade away all future picks for proven talent and shove all your cards into the middle of the table

The Browns, Raiders and most recently the Dolphins way.....

Trade away anyone with talent and stockpile picks in the hopes of rebuilding a young talented team that will compete in future seasons.

By Infinity on Trial
10/23/2019 6:55 pm
Counterpoint: How many truly elite WRs are there in the NFL? If I were to apply MFN ratings, you would have an awful lot of roster spots going to guys in the 60s and 70s overall, with a handful of 80s and maybe 5 90s.

The real problem I have with the draft pools is the speed distribution. If every WR in the league had a min speed of 80, it would change your perspective. The truly elite players would really matter. How you effectively use the abundance of average players would matter more.

By Cjfred68
10/23/2019 7:03 pm
Totally agree about speed.

Sub 70 speed WRs and DBs wouldnt even be at the combine out of embarrassment

I would assume 75-80 should be average for both positions meaning the other ratings would hold more weight. Sure +90 is elite speed but who is drafting and playing a 40 speed WR or DB that gets outrun by his LT

By Infinity on Trial
10/23/2019 7:20 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:

I would assume 75-80 should be average for both positions meaning the other ratings would hold more weight. Sure +90 is elite speed but who is drafting and playing a 40 speed WR or DB that gets outrun by his LT

I put this in a spreadsheet once, mapping actual 40 times where 5.6 equals 29 and 4.2 equals 99. Those figures are debatable, but it puts into perspective how warped the MFN speeds are.

I may off a few points, but the average WR and CB speed should be in the low 80s, with peaks into the 90s and nothing below 75. OL and DTs should be in the 50s.

Instead, it's about as easy to find an 80 speed DL as it is a CB.

By Cjfred68
10/23/2019 7:33 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:

I put this in a spreadsheet once, mapping actual 40 times where 5.6 equals 29 and 4.2 equals 99. Those figures are debatable, but it puts into perspective how warped the MFN speeds are.

I may off a few points, but the average WR and CB speed should be in the low 80s, with peaks into the 90s and nothing below 75. OL and DTs should be in the 50s.

Instead, it's about as easy to find an 80 speed DL as it is a CB.

I know right.......having a 80 overall WR with a 40 speed is ridiculous. The crazy thing is the draft is full of them...40 50 even 60 speed WR, RB, CB even linebackers should be minimum 60 speed.

That's why I look for +70 speed DTs in the draft and check their potential cover skills. If they have a +70 potential m2m...I will convert them to CB and watch em shed weight while gaining speed.

I just drafted a 55 speed 300 lb. DT in another league with 100 potential m2m and bnr....he was a 23/51 potential cornerback. He boomed in camp and is now a 70 potential CB with +60 speed with plenty of weight left to lose. He could become my 3rd CB by the time he is done.

NEVER would happen in NFL

By Infinity on Trial
10/23/2019 7:37 pm
Isn't there a cap on the amount of weight a player can lose here?