The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1985 Playoffs: Road to World Bowl XII

By Wolveraider
10/13/2019 8:39 am
Thanks cj....I know we're going to have to play our best game to pull off a win against your squad....Good luck to you and hopefully it's a good competitive game.

Lets get it on!

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/13/2019 1:56 pm
World Bowl XII

Birmingham Stallions (14-4) vs. Houston Gamblers (16-2)

World Bowl XII is a rematch from Week 16 https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3863, a 38-13 Houston victory.

The Birmingham Stallions finished the 1985 regular season 12-4, Southeast Division Champions, and the #2 seed in the National Conference. This is the 7th season the Stallions have made the playoffs where they were 1-6 in previous seasons. In the 1985 Playoffs, Birmingham annihilated New Jersey 79-19 and squeaked by Baltimore 22-20. World Bowl XII represents Birmingham's first league championship game.

The Houston Gamblers finished the 1985 regular season 14-2, Southwest Division Champions and the #1 seed in the American Conference. The Gamblers have made the playoffs only 3 previous times but they've won 2 World Bowls over the New Jersey Generals, World Bowls IX and XI. To get here, Houston defeated Arizona 24-15 and Memphis 29-17.

All Time Playoff Record

Birmingham 3-6

Houston 10-1 (2-0 in World Bowl)

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards Birmingham 7th Houston 1st

Defensive Yards Birmingham 10th Houston 3rd

Injuries

Birmingham

Houston

Prediction

My last 2 playoff losses with New Jersey have come to Birmingham and Houston, so I've seen both up close and personal. Houston gets most of the attention as defending champs but nobody should be sleeping on the Stallions. In addition to their record shattering destruction of my Generals, they beat the American Conference #1 seed Baltimore Stars not once, but twice.

Both teams have top 10 offenses and defenses, with a slight edge to Houston. The injury situation heavily favors Houston but in a game of this magnitude, the Stallions aches and pains are just the price of admission.

Houston never made the playoffs under original ownership, but the franchise is a staple there now thanks to Setherick and Cjfred. Houston may have been very fortunate with the Week 16 results that moved them from a #5 seed to #1, but they just take care of business in the playoffs.

Once the pigskin flies, if Birmingham plays as sloppy as they did in the Conference Championship, Houston is going to beat them by 3 TD's. The Stallions left some points and plays on the field against Baltimore, but the Stars couldn't capitalize. Houston will.

I do expect Birmingham to play better and I see a tight game going into the 4th qtr. From that point, I expect the healthier team to wear down the Stallions and pull away with a late score or two.

Houston 27
Birmingham 20

By mwd65
10/14/2019 8:31 am
Great game guys!

Congrats Cjfred!

By Cjfred68
10/14/2019 8:46 am
Wow.....just Wow!

What a great game.....2 teams going at it back and forth.....a half dozen times I was like "that's it I lost" especially in OT when you line up for a game winning 30 yard fieldgoal.

That bam! Wide left and before I can process the fact you missed....my QB hits the long pass which puts me right in fieldgoal range and a play later.....I'm stunned.

Wolveraider, I feel for you because that's a horrible way to lose this game. You had it....deserved it....and your kicker pulled a Scott Norwood and a Ray Finkle all rolled into one.

I have to tip my cap to you Wolveraider...you gave me everything I could handle and more.....and it all came down to luck in the end!

By trslick
10/14/2019 9:25 am
Congrats Cj, great game guys!

By pdoug20
10/14/2019 11:33 am
I usually don't watch the playoffs, but something said to watch this one. Talk about exciting!! Tough way to go down, but if we were looking for an exciting finish, we sure got one!!

By Wolveraider
10/14/2019 12:51 pm
Congratulations on the Championship and a great season cj!

A great competitive game that went to OT no less...no shame in losing to a great GM and team like cj and Houston....but this loss is going to stay with me for awhile.

Great game cj and much respect to you for being able to repeat in one of the most difficult leagues in MFN.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/14/2019 12:55 pm
Just finished watching the game to write the blog https://mfnusflwfl.blogspot.com/2019/10/gamblers-stun-stallions-in-ot-thriller.html. WOW! Awesome battle.

Birmingham played like a Champion but unfortunately for them, a missed chip shot leaves a bad taste in their mouth. As someone who has lost a nail biter LC game I feel your pain.

Congratulations to Cjfred, back to back. Quite the accomplishment, and it's now 3 in 4 years for your franchise including the one current Portland owner Setherick won after taking over for Jackass926.

By Cjfred68
10/14/2019 1:03 pm
Wolveraider wrote:
Congratulations on the Championship and a great season cj!

A great competitive game that went to OT no less...no shame in losing to a great GM and team like cj and Houston....but this loss is going to stay with me for awhile.

Great game cj and much respect to you for being able to repeat in one of the most difficult leagues in MFN.

Thanks Wolve....I feel for you bud....its a tough way to lose.....you deserved to win.

The question is.....can you bring that kicker back after that.....In real life, this would destroy a kicker and fans wouldnt let him forget.

I'm a Ravens fan in real life and I've been blessed with 1st Matt Stover (1996-2008)and now Justin Tucker (2012-now)....2 great kickers for the majority of the francise history.

But in the 2011 season we had Billy Cundiff and in the AFC Championship game in New England....he shanked a chip shot fieldgoal which would have tied the game and sent it to overtime. The phrase "pulled a cundiff" or "we were cundiffed" are common on Baltimore radio sports.
Last edited at 10/14/2019 1:03 pm

By CrazyRazor
10/14/2019 3:31 pm
Congratulations on a fantastic game & season, guys!