The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1985 Playoffs: Road to World Bowl XII

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/08/2019 8:39 am
New Jersey @ Birmingham

These two teams met Week 12 in Birmingham with the Generals winning 20-14 https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3804.

They also met in the 1982 Divisional Round https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/2929. New Jersey won that game 34-6.

All Time Playoff Record

Birmingham 1-6

New Jersey 16-7 (2-3 in World Bowl)

Birmingham missed the playoffs 5 of the league's first 8 seasons but have now made them 4 years in a row. Still, that 1-6 playoff record only makes Marvin Lewis jealous.

Run Rudi, run! These pics illustrate why I call him Mr. January.

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards New Jersey 20th Birmingham 7th

Defensive Yards New Jersey 8th Birmingham 10th

Injuries

New Jersey

Birmingham

Prediction

MFN says Birmingham is a 10 point favorite and the stats also favor the Stallions. The past results suggest New Jersey is primed for an upset. I said before Wildcard Weekend I'd be picking against my team this round, but that was before I looked at everything. I feel at the very least Generals cover the 10 point spread, and maybe I'm biased but sustained playoff success has to be good for something right?

New Jersey 23
Birmingham 20

By vcr5150
10/08/2019 10:30 am
mwd65 wrote:
Good game, vcr!

Your team played great! No way we were coming back from the big lead you had early.

The Express are going to be working hard in the off-season. Since the '78 World Bowl, the team hasn't performed well.

Best of luck moving forward, vcr. Your offense can stick with many teams.

Thanks, that score was lopsided - the statistics were not. Arizona was fortunate and got a favorable spin. Good luck in the off season, and maybe we'll meet in the playoffs again.

10/09/2019 1:12 am

Wow, we sucked! Birmingham said you can take all of Rudi's records and stick them in a sack. I haven't checked but I'm sure Birmingham set all kinds of records in this game. I know the 5 TD receptions are a record.

I fully expected to lose at some point before the World Bowl, but ****. Maybe you should have saved some of those points for Baltimore. Good luck btw.

By Cjfred68
10/09/2019 2:03 am

Definate shocker.....not that Birmingham won.....wolveraider is a great owner.....but how much they won by!

I had to watch the film.....I mean he had to have banged one play hard or something to put that many points up on Greg right?

Nope!....he ran a diverse gameplan with a full compliment of runs and passes.....the thing is.....everything worked to perfection....big play after big play....broken tackle after missed tackle!

Congrads Wolveraider.....glad you are on the other side of the league. I have enough problems ahead with Infinity here.

Sorry Greg....cant be easy to digest.....the bright side is you have more time to admin!

10/09/2019 2:28 am
In a way, losing like this is easier to take. I only watched 3 drives but that's all it took. Birmingham went down the field with ease and scored a TD. Generals went down the field with ease and missed a FG. Birmingham scores another TD on the very next play. Time to see how bad I lost.

Nothing to second guess, nothing to agonize about, we just got destroyed.

10/09/2019 5:23 am
Previous Record for most points in a USFL/WFL Playoff game was Tampa Bay with a 66-52 victory in the 1978 Divisional Round over Pittsburgh. https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/1662

By Infinity on Trial
10/09/2019 8:13 am
*exhales*

*checks to see who's next*

You again.

By Wolveraider
10/09/2019 8:33 am
Soooo that was unexpected.....not to downplay my own game planning and strategy....but, when a game like this happens against an opponent like rg, you know you caught a good sim....I checked the stats and it looks like even the Stallions waterboy won all his rolls and the team was perfectly hydrated.

Hats off to rg on another good season and for picking up where TW left off and doing a great job as admin.

By CrazyRazor
10/09/2019 3:48 pm
Turned my game off after the punt block return for a TD. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

By CrazyRazor
10/09/2019 4:00 pm
CrazyRazor wrote:
Turned my game off after the punt block return for a TD. That's all I'm gonna say about it.

Oh!!! And Good Luck to CJfred, Infinity on Trial, & Wolveraider. I hope one of you stops the punt block bandit.