The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1985 Playoffs: Road to World Bowl XII

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/05/2019 7:45 am
I'll put some Wildcard previews/predictions here, but in the meantime here is some music to get us in the mood. This video is NSFW because of violence, "Hordes of Chaos" by Kreator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEK-2GbgUAo.

The chorus is "CHAOS...everyone against everyone...CHAOS".

Re: 1985 Playoffs: Road to World Bowl XII

10/05/2019 8:43 am
I'll do my game first since it's late for me, and I know my team.

Tampa Bay @ New Jersey

https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/1328 These teams have combined for 33 playoff games and the link is to the only time they've met in the playoffs. That was 1977, and Tampa Bay crushed the Generals that day 47-0. The Bandits would go on to World Bowl IV, where they lost to the Detroit Wheels 29-22.

All Time Playoff Record

Tampa Bay 6-5 (0-2 in World Bowl)

New Jersey 15-7 (2-3 in World Bowl)

This is Tampa Bay's first playoff appearance since 1980, while New Jersey has been every year except 1974 and 1976.

These two teams opened the 1985 season against each other https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3631 with New Jersey winning 26-14. Tampa has lost 6 of their last 7 games, while New Jersey has lost 4 of their last 5.

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards Tampa Bay 15th New Jersey 20th

Defensive Yards Tampa Bay 26th New Jersey 8th

Injuries

Tampa Bay

New Jersey

Prediction

Neither team is playing particularly well at the moment, but someone has to win. New Jersey's players have the edge in playoff experience and they play in front of the home folks so Tampa Bay will need to avoid an early double digit deficit.

I think the Bandits will avoid that deficit, and I expect a tight game entering the 4th qtr. Whichever team makes the big mistake in crunch time will be going home, and I have to believe the Generals vast playoff experience will help them create that mistake by the Bandits.

New Jersey 19
Tampa Bay 17
Last edited at 10/05/2019 8:44 am

10/05/2019 3:53 pm
Arizona @ Los Angeles

These teams have met once before in the post season in the 1977 Divisional Round, https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/1327 with Los Angeles winning 16-13.

They also faced each other in Week 10 of this year with Arizona winning 38-23 https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3767

All Time Playoff Record

Los Angeles 7-4 (1-0 in World Bowl)

Arizona 1-2

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards Los Angeles 6th Arizona 10th

Defensive Yards Los Angeles 31st Arizona 30th

Injuries

Los Angeles

Arizona

Prediction

Los Angeles has lost 3 of their last 5 and 4 of their last 7 so they aren't exactly on a roll while Arizona has won 8 of their last 10. Neither team is very stout on defense so I expect plenty of yards and points. I have to side with the hot team in this game.

Arizona 37
Los Angeles 34

10/05/2019 4:15 pm
Memphis @ Chicago

These teams did not play in the regular season and they have never met in the playoffs.

All Time Playoff Record

Memphis 9-3 (2-0 in World Bowl)

Chicago 4-4 (0-1 in World Bowl)

Memphis spent 1985 battling Houston for Southwest Division supremacy and the tiebreakers sent Memphis to Chicago. The Showboats had won 12 in a row before the Week 16 loss to Denver.

Chicago started 7-1-1 and looked to be in play for a BYE but losing 5 of 7 down the stretch had them at risk of being out completely.

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards Memphis 3rd Chicago 29th

Defensive Yards Memphis 4th Chicago 16th

Injuries

Memphis

Chicago

Prediction

Memphis has been one of the best teams all season and they're in a bad mood not having the BYE that was in their grasp. Chicago is at home, but that's their only advantage as they are not playing well lately. Put it all together and I see Memphis boat racing the Blitz.

Memphis 51
Chicago 10
Last edited at 10/05/2019 4:17 pm

10/05/2019 4:39 pm
Washington @ Jacksonville

Washington comes in #1 in the commish rankings yet they are on the road as a wildcard facing a hot Jacksonville Bulls squad. Florida was so hot for awhile that Jacksonville's own hot streak flew under the radar. The Bulls started 1-5 but went 8-2 in their final 10, including a current 4 game win streak.

These teams did not play each other in 1985 and they have never met in the playoffs.

All Time Playoff Record

Washington 1-4
Jacksonville 4-6

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards Washington 4th Jacksonville 16th

Defensive Yards Washington 2nd Jacksonville 15th

Injuries

Washington

Jacksonville

Prediction

I was surprised to see Jacksonville with a better overall playoff record than Washington. I guess all these years of the playoff grind had blinded me to what else was going on with other teams.

Washington has been at or near the top of the commish rankings all season because their stats are great. This game isn't played on paper however, but with actual players. Washington is thin on defensive backs with Minor and Brazier questionable with ankle injuries.

Jacksonville has been hotter than a match and I see that continuing here, though it won't be easy.

Jacksonville 21
Washington 20

10/05/2019 4:46 pm
There was nothing personal about my predictions, except for maybe my game but should I win, I'll be picking the other team next round. I realize we're doubtful to get back to the World Bowl, we're just not as good as we used to be.

Feel free to comment here, that's what this thread is for. Agree with me? Disagree? Just want to give your $.02?

BTW my pick for World Bowl XII is Houston vs Baltimore.

By Infinity on Trial
10/05/2019 7:39 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
There was nothing personal about my predictions, except for maybe my game but should I win, I'll be picking the other team next round. I realize we're doubtful to get back to the World Bowl, we're just not as good as we used to be.

Feel free to comment here, that's what this thread is for. Agree with me? Disagree? Just want to give your $.02?

BTW my pick for World Bowl XII is Houston vs Baltimore.

I just think it's cool that you're doing this.

As far as Memphis goes, I'm worried about losing our top offensive weapon. Don't be surprised by an upset.

By hectorg93
10/06/2019 12:01 am
Greg you have only been the league admin for a while, and you just keep making this league fun with your own flavor. Kudos to you man!

By Cjfred68
10/06/2019 10:34 am
**** Greg.

I see other admins put together stuff in the forums and get jealous. Outstanding presentation of the playoff games.

Thanks for making mine inadequate and forcing me to step my game up.

I honestly thought you would make a great admin but you have far exceeded my expectations.

10/06/2019 5:17 pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I enjoyed doing this as it gave me a chance to step away from my team and reflect on our league's history. Like I said above, I was surprised to see Jacksonville has been in so many playoff games. I often get so wrapped up in my teams that I often neglect to pay much attention to what else is going on. I can't be like that now that I run things.

CJ, your leagues are great and that's one of the reasons I'm trying so hard, you made me elevate my game. That, and trying to live up to tribewriter's legacy. It's real easy to do the extra stuff only running one league, I couldn't imagine running as many as you do and trying to add all of this to every one of them.