The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1985 Playoffs: Road to World Bowl XII

By Cjfred68
10/06/2019 5:52 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I enjoyed doing this as it gave me a chance to step away from my team and reflect on our league's history. Like I said above, I was surprised to see Jacksonville has been in so many playoff games. I often get so wrapped up in my teams that I often neglect to pay much attention to what else is going on. I can't be like that now that I run things.

CJ, your leagues are great and that's one of the reasons I'm trying so hard, you made me elevate my game. That, and trying to live up to tribewriter's legacy. It's real easy to do the extra stuff only running one league, I couldn't imagine running as many as you do and trying to add all of this to every one of them.

I do more for some like the XFL will always be my top league and gets the most attention.....The World League is all about the power rankings.....the Champions league writes itself.....the Quick and the Dead was a selfish pick up due to my teams success and not wanting the league to fold....The Monster of the Midway is just a fun distraction where I can be silly with writeups and gifs.

.....but yeah it can be a bit much at times

By Mcarovil
10/06/2019 9:10 pm
The Bandits are offended.....or is that offensive? We have no business being here and if anything is right in the world we will be a quick exit against the Generals.

By Mcarovil
10/07/2019 5:46 am
Congrats NJ. Another *** whooping no reflective of the final. We close the season just like we opened it. Out matched.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/07/2019 9:15 am
Mcarovil wrote:
Congrats NJ. Another *** whooping no reflective of the final. We close the season just like we opened it. Out matched.

What your Bandits did the last qtr and a half is what I was worried about happening throughout the game, so I'm glad your team waited until we were up 34-0. It's the playoffs so it was time for Mr. January, Rudi Johnson to shine.

By CrazyRazor
10/07/2019 3:23 pm
GG hectorg93/Jacksonville. 7 freaking FG's are not what I had in mind, but a win is a win. Now for the rematch that really counts........

By mwd65
10/07/2019 4:37 pm
Good game, vcr!

Your team played great! No way we were coming back from the big lead you had early.

The Express are going to be working hard in the off-season. Since the '78 World Bowl, the team hasn't performed well.

Best of luck moving forward, vcr. Your offense can stick with many teams.

By hectorg93
10/07/2019 6:58 pm
GG Crazy I didn't think that this team would make the playoffs after our start, much less win a game against a top GM. Good luck the rest of the post season.

10/08/2019 6:46 am
Arizona @ Houston

The Wranglers have already lost in Houston once this year https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3823 37-9 but this will be the first playoff game between the two.

All Time Playoff Record

Arizona 2-2

Houston 8-1 (2-0 in World Bowl)

Arizona's win over Los Angeles last weekend evened their playoff record at 2-2.

Houston was without a playoff appearance during the first 8 years of the league, and the Gamblers were led by Booger the first 6. Booger ended his controversial tenure (think Marge Schott or Dan Snyder) with a 27-69 record and was replaced by Setherick. He managed to get the team at or near .500 his first 2 seasons before breaking through in a big way. In 1982, Seth led Houston to a 15-1 record, culminating in a World Bowl IX victory over New Jersey.

Seth rode off into the sunset after the victory and the Gamblers were taken by Offensive Taco. OT led Houston to a 13-3 record and their only playoff loss ever. That was OT's lone season in Houston as he left to rebuild Southern California.

In steps Cjfred to run Houston and he's led them to back to back playoff appearances. In 1984, Houston had to win 4 playoff games to hoist the championship trophy after defeating New Jersey in World Bowl XI.

What's Houston going to do if they make the World Bowl again and they don't have the Generals to kick around?

Team Ranks

Offensive Ranks Arizona 10th Houston 1st

Defensive Ranks Arizona 30th Houston 3rd

Injuries

Arizona

Houston

Prediction

Arizona remained hot Wildcard Weekend in beating Los Angeles but defending champion Houston is a much bigger challenge. Statistics favor Houston. Injuries favor Houston. Previous result favors Houston. The game is in Houston.

Houston 41
Arizona 20

Last edited at 10/08/2019 6:48 am

10/08/2019 7:27 am
Memphis @ Denver

These two teams just played in Denver Week 16, with the Gold victory sending Memphis on the road for the playoffs. https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3857. The Showboats would love nothing more than to return the favor in a much more meaningful game. This is the first post season game between Memphis and Denver.

All Time Playoff Record

Memphis 10-3 (2-0 in World Bowl)

Denver 4-5 (0-1 in World Bowl)

Memphis improved to 10-3 with last weekends win in Chicago.

Denver made the playoffs in the league's inaugural season then didn't get back until 1981. This marks the 5th straight year of post season football for the Gold.

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards Memphis 3rd Denver 9th

Defensive Yards Memphis 4th Denver 7th

Injuries

Memphis

Denver

Prediction

The stats say this should be a game that goes down to the wire and a strong case can be made for either side to win. Most of America wants to see Memphis/Houston 3 but Denver is the betting favorite. Will the Showboats get their revenge for the Week 16 loss or will that extra game take it's toll late?

Denver 21
Memphis 20

10/08/2019 7:55 am
Washington @ Baltimore

These Atlantic Division rivals face off for the third time this season. The schedule makers bookended their seasons with their shortest road trips, with the Baltimore Stars winning in Week 1 https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3630 and Week 16 https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3865. Which teams season will end tonight?

These teams met in the Wildcard Round last year with the Stars winning 42-6 https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/3559. This will be their second playoff game vs each other.

All Time Playoff Record

Washington 2-4

Baltimore 3-3

Like Denver, Baltimore made the playoffs in 1974 and didn't return until 1981. Their only other playoffs were last season, making it all the way to the National Conference Championship Game where they lost at New Jersey.

Team Ranks

Offensive Yards Washington 4th Baltimore 5th

Defensive Yards Washington 2nd Baltimore 1st

Injuries

Washington

Baltimore

Prediction

The stats again say this game should be tight to the final gun. Both teams have Top 5 offenses and defenses so something has to give. In the NFL, it's difficult to beat a team 3 times in a season. In MFN it's easier depending on who is doing the game planning. Baltimore has defeated Washington 5 times in a row, with the last loss in 1983. I also picked Baltimore to make World Bowl XII.

Baltimore 17
Washington 13