The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Move To Game Engine V 0.4.4 Immediately?

JDB has given user-created leagues the option of moving to game engine version 0.4.4 immediately rather than waiting for the completion of the current season. Please vote as to whether we should retain 4.3 for this season or move immediately to 4.4.

Yes, begin 4.4 immediately
No, wait until next season for 4.4

Re: Move To Game Engine V 0.4.4 Immediately?

By tribewriter
12/03/2018 4:44 pm
Guys, we are all frustrated. Please don't let it become personal. We have a really good culture in this league and I'd like that to remain in place.

We can certainly discuss the game planning issues, but attempting to place blame isn't going to solve those issues.

I am hoping our league's coaches can demonstrate a spirit of collaboration so we can all experience success — if not here, then in our other leagues.

By greyghost1225
12/03/2018 4:51 pm
tribewriter wrote:
Guys, we are all frustrated. Please don't let it become personal. We have a really good culture in this league and I'd like that to remain in place.

We can certainly discuss the game planning issues, but attempting to place blame isn't going to solve those issues.

I am hoping our league's coaches can demonstrate a spirit of collaboration so we can all experience success — if not here, then in our other leagues.

If it has come across as me placing blame, I apologize. I don't know who personally does the coding or the beta testing, If there are people that get their feathers ruffled over my opinion, that is not my issue. I think 0.4.4 sucks and this will be my final statement on the matter.

By Smirt211
12/03/2018 5:25 pm
I don't mind Setherick's style integrating to what's already pre-existing so that it becomes another offensive option. (slow, methodical with hooks and curls now operational) Allows for more flexibility. My initial comment was that being in lieu of long passing going extinct, which I know is not Setherick's intent but I was speaking from a frustrated just witnessed the results standpoint. I appreciate his stat pouring and game film review as he's looking to improve coverage and also from the WR side working on stutter steps to blow up opposing CBs. That's fair!

What I don't like is influences coming in from other avenues where it's more agenda based in terms of halting the success of those who are running offenses that put up points and yardage. Such as coming into it with the sole purpose of: Long Passing must be marginalized and be vigilante on it.

By Hellbringer
12/03/2018 6:02 pm
15-80-5-0-0. My new slider settings for all down :) Come sack me now lol

By CrazyRazor
12/03/2018 6:20 pm
greyghost1225 wrote:
The funny thing is I never made this personal, you did. I never said I didn't care, actually I have said I appreciate the work and understood the creative process and gave some examples of other simulations that have done the same thing.

I did say I didn't care about the coding. If i wanted to be a programmer I would have went to trade school for it, so in regards to the beta forum, that is the people that run MFN to worry about not me. I have given as much capital as I intend to, especially after your post.

In regards to me leaving multiple leagues, I said it expedited(quickened) the departures although two of the leagues I really didn't want to, but am glad I did after this discussion. If everyone that is responsible for 0.4.4 has a similar attitude as you, I might be done, haven't decided yet. As you have said you don't care what I think and now you have shown the true colors of the people behind the scenes of MFN. The bottom line is I want to play a realistic game compared to the real thing of today, not the 1970's.

If you think this is personal, you are sadly mistaken. I was exactly where you are now with the last update. Rather than continue to complain, I became proactive. I joined the Beta League in hopes that I could help.

What I mean to say is "I don't care if you like that this is the product we have, because this
    IS
the product we have and we have to deal with. If we can't fix it quickly, then JDB might give the option to revert back. (I hope not)
But the constant complaints don't help. When has criticizing ever helped? (I am including myself in this as a complainer).
Everyone clearly realizes the code has changed things and a few aspects weren't changed for the good. (Sounds a lot like the last update.)

Smirt211 is right about this: There were basically 2-3 voices in JDB's ear in Beta. (No, I wasn't one of them). I wanted to see how things transpired there in my first season.
What you guys don't realize is that there are 32 teams in Beta and most don't put their $0.02 into the air. Consider how many members are in MFN and compare it to 32. You are not going to get every offensive/defensive style tested. Plus we are limited in the number of games we play compared to the rest of the community.

Yes, I am frustrated. Yes, you are frustrated. Yes, We are all frustrated. As I said before my outburst, "Give us time to work this out." We are in Pre-season and the only way this is getting worked on at the moment is in JDB's personal test atmosphere that does not include any of us members.

By Wolveraider
12/03/2018 6:41 pm
tribewriter wrote:
I read that completion percentages might go up. But, even against Georgia's crummy secondary, 23-for-27 is a bit much for Birmingham's QB, who is a 63 overall by my weights. Not complaining, just observing.
https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/box/2372

I was fortunate enough to have one game in "Rivals" with 4.4 under my belt coming into this game....I immediately jumped to this league and changed my gameplan...my QB weights are probably going to change as well.

I think 4.4 probably more accurately reflects what a lot of NFL offenses are doing right now....4.3 is like watching any game with Oklahoma.

I think if they can bring a little more balance to the long passing game via the changes Sertherick has pointed out, we'll be in a good place.

By greyghost1225
12/03/2018 6:44 pm
CrazyRazor wrote:
greyghost1225 wrote:
The funny thing is I never made this personal, you did. I never said I didn't care, actually I have said I appreciate the work and understood the creative process and gave some examples of other simulations that have done the same thing.

I did say I didn't care about the coding. If i wanted to be a programmer I would have went to trade school for it, so in regards to the beta forum, that is the people that run MFN to worry about not me. I have given as much capital as I intend to, especially after your post.

In regards to me leaving multiple leagues, I said it expedited(quickened) the departures although two of the leagues I really didn't want to, but am glad I did after this discussion. If everyone that is responsible for 0.4.4 has a similar attitude as you, I might be done, haven't decided yet. As you have said you don't care what I think and now you have shown the true colors of the people behind the scenes of MFN. The bottom line is I want to play a realistic game compared to the real thing of today, not the 1970's.

If you think this is personal, you are sadly mistaken. I was exactly where you are now with the last update. Rather than continue to complain, I became proactive. I joined the Beta League in hopes that I could help.

What I mean to say is "I don't care if you like that this is the product we have, because this
    IS
the product we have and we have to deal with. If we can't fix it quickly, then JDB might give the option to revert back. (I hope not)
But the constant complaints don't help. When has criticizing ever helped? (I am including myself in this as a complainer).
Everyone clearly realizes the code has changed things and a few aspects weren't changed for the good. (Sounds a lot like the last update.)

Smirt211 is right about this: There were basically 2-3 voices in JDB's ear in Beta. (No, I wasn't one of them). I wanted to see how things transpired there in my first season.
What you guys don't realize is that there are 32 teams in Beta and most don't put their $0.02 into the air. Consider how many members are in MFN and compare it to 32. You are not going to get every offensive/defensive style tested. Plus we are limited in the number of games we play compared to the rest of the community.

Yes, I am frustrated. Yes, you are frustrated. Yes, We are all frustrated. As I said before my outburst, "Give us time to work this out." We are in Pre-season and the only way this is getting worked on at the moment is in JDB's personal test atmosphere that does not include any of us members.

Once again I appreciate the work that everyone does. This is not my first version change and it won't be my last. I as a person that plays the game, don't care what the coding issues are. I would rather see a stable version put out rather than use all leagues as a guinea pig. Then when that version starts working update to a different unstable version. It is like an NFL coach thinking a team needs a total rebuild season after season. I understand the desire for perfection, but that doesn't exist in this context. I realize you didn't roll it out. I get it. I have never complained before and honestly after this will never say another word in regards to the game play. If I get tired of it I will just leave.

By Smirt211
12/03/2018 6:56 pm
What's unfortunate is 4.2 is by far and away the best version of the 3 but now we're so far down the line with changes and 4.5 is supposed to address the run game.

I believe v4.2 with Setherick's insertion of stutter steps for WRs on one end of the spectrum and the improved coverage on the other side with Bump and Run capabilities would have made for the perfect product. But we're so far down that road now.

4.2 with barriers in place on both sides for slinging the rock using more vitals such as route running (stutter steps) and B & R rolls to prevent slower CBs from being a human turnstile was the way to go.

But we got the check downs in 4.3 and all that mis-firing and now the No Fly Zone on passes 15 yards or longer.

By greyghost1225
12/03/2018 7:03 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
What's unfortunate is 4.2 is by far and away the best version of the 3 but now we're so far down the line with changes and 4.5 is supposed to address the run game.

I believe v4.2 with Setherick's insertion of stutter steps for WRs on one end of the spectrum and the improved coverage on the other side with Bump and Run capabilities would have made for the perfect product. But we're so far down that road now.

4.2 with barriers in place on both sides for slinging the rock using more vitals such as route running (stutter steps) and B & R rolls to prevent slower CBs from being a human turnstile was the way to go.

But we got the check downs in 4.3 and all that mis-firing and now the No Fly Zone on passes 15 yards or longer.

One of the issues Seth mentioned in one of my posts was they were using the original beta version from the beginning of time with established players, so those results don't truly transfer to the new existing leagues today, due to the players time. I said there was an easy fix, start a new beta league.

By Smirt211
12/03/2018 7:07 pm
Oh, yes, I saw that!

...and I do remember when he had Beta-87 and that was working concurrent with MFN-1.

What irked me the most was when I saw this current code and then it was being pushed on us as immediate and it can be adopted by any league, at any time whether you're heading into the playoffs or a title game. It was like 'slow your roll!'

I'd probably have been calmer if it was just the natural when season ends so it wasn't a bombardment and there was an adjustment period.