The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1982 Good Game Thread

By greyghost1225
2/11/2019 10:12 am
Smirt211 wrote:
Nah, we sat on version 4.2 for a very long time; felt like year(s).

4.3 through 4.5 has churned out at lightning speed to essentially set up a maze and confuse on how to proceed.

I'm sure 4.6 is being churned in the cauldron within the confines of the Beta Cave right now.

:(

At some point history is just that. I agree with the 4.3 to 4.5 thoughts, although there was a release schedule on 4.3 . My personal opinion is to freeze work on the game engine and put some time into the General Manager functions. First, fix the trades. A team should not under any circumstances have the option to make potentially 93 trades per season. This should be capped as a set number per team, 10 for example. Second, first the power ratings functions that have never worked properly and third come up with a new trade evaluation system. The numbers set for the players are not even close to actually value.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
2/11/2019 10:14 am
I'm also going to be seeing Stars for awhile. Played NY Stars in Week 2, followed by the Baltimore Stars and my rematch with NY Stars.

By Smirt211
2/11/2019 10:17 am
Agreed, under normal conditions the competitor in me would be like pfft, let them trade into a powerhouse and 'cheat' their way to victory. They won't beat me any way.

However, the changes are narrowing the margin all over the place and putting end game scoring results within certain parameters (hovering around 20 PPG)

Someone loading up through lopsided trades is going to BEST you now, even if they don't know s**^ about strategy. LOL

...and yes, I look at the power rankings once per every month because it's so broken!

By Duval
2/11/2019 10:18 am
Yeah I agree with the trade system. Max trades per season would be good and the point value is way off. Maybe the GM's should have the ability to remove the point value for their league. I get it helps new players from being totally ripped off, but in an experienced league I think it hinders more than it helps.

edit: There should be a lot more trades each season like an average vet player for a late round pick, I think this doesn't happen due to the ask for such players in the trade points being way to high etc
Last edited at 2/11/2019 10:21 am

By greyghost1225
2/11/2019 10:26 am
Duval wrote:
Yeah I agree with the trade system. Max trades per season would be good and the point value is way off. Maybe the GM's should have the ability to remove the point value for their league. I get it helps new players from being totally ripped off, but in an experienced league I think it hinders more than it helps.

edit: There should be a lot more trades each season like an average vet player for a late round pick, I think this doesn't happen due to the ask for such players in the trade points being way to high etc

I don't think a team should be able to acquire 30 draft picks per year. There is at least one owner that does this in a couple of the other leagues that I am in. He is a great owner and operating within the rules, but there needs to be a certain NFL reality that goes along with the game in the GM format. That is what is trying to be accomplished with the constant game engine updates. It is true everyone is trying to win, but this game is much more than the final result on the field.

By tribewriter
2/11/2019 10:56 am

I think Duval nailed it with this comment. The primary shortcoming of the trade meter — overvaluing older players — really hinders teams attempting to rebuild.

I took over a rebuild in another league and was offering older guys at half of their trade meter value and still getting no bites. The trade meter wanted me to ask for a No. 1 and No. 2 in return for a ninth-year CB who was already contemplating retirement. The other coach just laughed at my offer.

If this were fixed, contenders could acquire some talent for the short term without feeling like they were giving up the farm in the long term. Teams in a competitive league like this one are hesitant to "go for it" anyway, since literally anything can happen in the postseason.

By Duval
2/11/2019 11:02 am
Agreed, I've had to do this in one league I took over due to cap situation but is general I agree. I think this happens because right now the game seems more focused on the play calling than managing the players and cap, which means GM's don't need stellar players to win, so they can afford to constantly trade off players for picks.

By trslick
2/11/2019 11:31 am
GG Hornets

By ToroTex
2/11/2019 1:06 pm
GG Gold

Total domination in all 3 phases.

By Pernbronze
2/11/2019 2:32 pm
I don't like the idea of limiting quantity of trades. If that is their style so be it. Just because it's not your style doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. I don't like the 30 draft pick thing but again that is their style and don't think it should be deleted. The trade value one makes a little sense but I can understand why they wouldn't want it lower it would be very easy if it were lower to stock up on elite vets for a championship win.