The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1990 season

By trslick
9/04/2020 9:54 am
GG Hornets

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
9/04/2020 11:20 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
No offense to the Bulls and the Maulers but "game of the week"? Really?

When the Storm play the Showboats!

Come on MFN!

Game of the week is always the closest point spread game. If we had a USFL Network, people would be sick of hearing about Portland and Memphis, because they'd be all over it.

9/04/2020 11:23 am
Good game Dogboy, Philadelphia is improving, as is Boston and if New York gets back to form, next year will be a dogfight in the East.

By Cjfred68
9/04/2020 1:16 pm
The Houston Chronicle

December 4th, 1990

With two weeks remaining in the season, the Houston Gamblers are facing the prospect of winning out, finishing 15-1 and still being the #5 seed. While the team will be on the field trying to take car of business, they will have one eye on the Portland Storm as they play the Memphis Showboats. A Portland win over Memphis would open the door for a winner take all week 16 matchup with Memphis for both the division and a bye.

Tony "MVP" Dean has received criticism this season for slowing down and not putting up the big numbers that helped him win 2 MVPs and 3 World Bowls in the past. A closer look at his numbers actually show he may be quietly having his best season.

The first indicator that this may be his best season is his QB rating. It currently sits at 130.81 and his previous best was 110.50 last season. To put that in prospective, if he finished the season with that QB rating, it would be the 2nd best ever by a quarterback in USFL history for a QB making at least 300 passes and the best for any quarterback making 400 passes. You have to go back to 1974 when Daniel McKee had a 137.60 rating for Chicago.

Other statistics that show just how good a season he is having are his completion percentage of 70.1% which is ranked 4th and his yards per attempt of 9.85 which is ranked 1st. While he is only 6th in yardage, he is 2nd in TD passes while also being tied for 1st with only 4 interceptions. The final stat is sacks where he is tied for 4th being sacked 4 times.

The bottom line is Tony Dean is running an effecient balanced offense where the team ranks 4th in rushing yards per game and 6th in passing yards per game. When we asked Tony Dean about all these stats and if he feels like this is his best season at quarterback, he had this to say:

"My best season ever? You do know that I have won 3 World Bowls right...ask me after the season is over...thats a ridiculous question! Stats and numbers mean nothing if you end up having nothing to show for it!"

By Dogboyuk75
9/04/2020 5:35 pm
gg greg was happy to finally get a win versus the generals and tonight was one of my better performances,hopefully ill continue to close the gap on you.good lyuck for rest of season buddy

By Mcarovil
9/04/2020 6:19 pm
Our games seem to be a defensive battle. I thought we had you when you started getting the overuse on offense.....then we started to get the overuse on offense.......15 games in and this is the first overuse.

My takeaway of the game is to add the Power I to the rule book. That is a horrible matchup in GL attack. You crushed us on that in the 4th Q.

Smirt211 wrote:
Tough league.

That was the hardest game I've had getting yards and points while the flow was pushing as hard as it was....to get them.

Good game, Mac.

By Smirt211
9/04/2020 6:34 pm
It gets harder and harder to find ways to navigate moving the ball in chunks and scoring points.

Ultimately, you hope to get GMs not as wired in or lapses to stat collect. If every game was an Infinity ran defense the fun factor would be shrunk thin.

But that game was something else. I marveled at it. Great defense by you...!

By pdoug20
9/04/2020 7:23 pm
GG Blazers... our run game was practically nonexistent, but the defense stepped up when it counted. Best of the luck the rest of the way!!

9/06/2020 1:06 pm
Working on the Commish Rankings, and I became curious as to our team records for points in a season. I've added this to the team news record keeping section https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/3/1745?page=1.

What brought it up for me was the big gap in scoring between Memphis and everyone else, also the very low amount of points allowed by Portland. What I found was...

In 1974, our first season, the Charlotte Hornets were terrible, scoring 131 points and allowing 612. The 612 stood as the worst until 1979, when Boston gave up 744 points, which still stands today. The 131 was the low water mark until 1981, when Boston again erased them from the record books by scoring only 84 points.

That low point total is being threatened this year by Birmingham. The Stallions need to score 17 points the last 2 games to avoid replacing Boston.

I forget who led the league in scoring in 1974, didn't write it down because it was not higher than the 604 Memphis has scored this season. The Showboats need 109 points the last 2 weeks to break the record of 712, held by the 1977 Tampa Bay Bandits. That broke the old mark by 76 points, as the 1975 Oakland Invaders scored 636.

The last one is low scoring defense. In 1974, the Florida Blazers only gave up 168 points, which stood as the league record until the 1982 New Jersey Generals gave up 154. That stood as the record until last year, when the Memphis Showboats only allowed 133 points.

That record is in jeopardy, as the current Portland Storm have allowed just 76 points, meaning they could give up 56 points to Memphis and New York and still have the record.

By Cjfred68
9/06/2020 7:49 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Working on the Commish Rankings, and I became curious as to our team records for points in a season. I've added this to the team news record keeping section https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/3/1745?page=1.

What brought it up for me was the big gap in scoring between Memphis and everyone else, also the very low amount of points allowed by Portland. What I found was...

In 1974, our first season, the Charlotte Hornets were terrible, scoring 131 points and allowing 612. The 612 stood as the worst until 1979, when Boston gave up 744 points, which still stands today. The 131 was the low water mark until 1981, when Boston again erased them from the record books by scoring only 84 points.

That low point total is being threatened this year by Birmingham. The Stallions need to score 17 points the last 2 games to avoid replacing Boston.

I forget who led the league in scoring in 1974, didn't write it down because it was not higher than the 604 Memphis has scored this season. The Showboats need 109 points the last 2 weeks to break the record of 712, held by the 1977 Tampa Bay Bandits. That broke the old mark by 76 points, as the 1975 Oakland Invaders scored 636.

The last one is low scoring defense. In 1974, the Florida Blazers only gave up 168 points, which stood as the league record until the 1982 New Jersey Generals gave up 154. That stood as the record until last year, when the Memphis Showboats only allowed 133 points.

That record is in jeopardy, as the current Portland Storm have allowed just 76 points, meaning they could give up 56 points to Memphis and New York and still have the record.

I remember the 2000 Ravens allowed 165 points which is the record for a 16 game season and they are considered one of the top 5 defenses alltime. So Portland is on an historic pace.