The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: The Official McKeon Rule

By setherick
7/04/2020 7:37 pm
To be fair, I don't see why the rule isn't all DL must be at least 276#, which is the ideal weight for DEs. Let's make things easy on ourselves.

By Infinity on Trial
7/04/2020 7:45 pm
setherick wrote:
To be fair, I don't see why the rule isn't all DL must be at least 276#, which is the ideal weight for DEs. Let's make things easy on ourselves.

For practical purposes, the 265 rule is a 276 rule, unless you find the rare DB/LB you can move to DL without gaining all the weight. And if you're willing to go through that headache, congratulations on finding a loophole.

But the exceptions for injuries and poor roster planning are a minefield for interpretation and violating the rule in spirit while not technically violating the rule.

By setherick
7/04/2020 8:02 pm
They aren't that rare. There is at least one player like Dawes in every draft. At 220#, he's going to max weight at 265-270#. He'll be 82/55 SP/AC or thereabouts.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you camp Dawes at DB and he busts because of his 86 VOL, his Pass Rush won't bust. I say pretty sure because it's not something I've tracked closely. I just know that not _all_ attributes bust when a player busts.
Last edited at 7/04/2020 8:05 pm

By Infinity on Trial
7/04/2020 8:07 pm
Yeah, but you have to identify and draft the guy, want to use him to generate pressure from the 46 as opposed to coverage at his natural position, and then hope like **** that he gains 45 pounds before the season starts, and even then, he's not a particularly elite player. I'm OK with people defeating the rule by going through all that.

I'm not OK with somebody who has 5 (or any number minus injured) DL on the roster resorting to speedy LBs. If we're going to ban the McKeon "****," as our most holiest of holy commissioners likes to call it, then do it and stop ******* around.
Last edited at 7/04/2020 8:08 pm

By setherick
7/04/2020 8:08 pm
Oh, he's not going to gain enough weight until week 8. I'm pretty sure I outlined the math in the Mad Seth's guide.

By Cjfred68
7/04/2020 9:22 pm
I just wish everyone would trust Greg and follow the rule....The punt block rule was a huge success IMO and while a few occurred during the season.....it wasnt overpowered.

Greg's rule has people poking holes at it and looking for ways to circumvent the rules intention. Let it play out and he will make the necessary adjustments.

Clearly this game isnt perfect so let's give it a shot and stop shooting holes at it based on your own assumptions.

I'm trying a different rule in my leagues and hopefully we can find the right rule to give some balance to the game.

If you don't want rules, there are dozens of leagues without them so quit this league and join one of those.

Better yet, for those with much better ideas for what proper rules should be made for including the FL Hitch.....become an admin of an existing league or start a new league.

"Heavy is the head that wears the crown"

Everyone thinks they can do a better job but nobody really wants the job
Last edited at 7/04/2020 9:22 pm

By setherick
7/04/2020 10:51 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
I just wish everyone would trust Greg and follow the rule....The punt block rule was a huge success IMO and while a few occurred during the season.....it wasnt overpowered.

I trust Greg and will follow the rule. There is a big difference between trusting and following than understanding. But I've also studied the mathematics of the far more than any one person should.

Basically, my concern with 265#, and bigger concern for your 255#, weight limits is that AC and weight have a direct relationship. The lighter a player is the faster they accelerate in the same way that the lighter the player is the faster the player moves period. I'm not just talking that their AC score is higher here either. They engage their AC faster which is why a WR with low AC speeds away from an LB with higher AC even if they have the same SP. (This by the way was the whole reason for trying McKeon at DE in the first place -- not just his SP -- I knew he would get to top SP faster than any OL could ever get off the line, and I've replicated the success in leagues with LBs that have much lower AC scores. I haven't found an 84 AC DE to experiment with yet, and 276# 80+ SP DEs are dogs off the snap.)

What both rules do is leave open the possibility for someone (like me) who has enough knowledge of the game to find the right players in FA or the draft, and park them until they hit the appropriate weight and have an advantage over everyone else that is position switching players to DE.

By setting the weight limit at 276# minimum, the only possible position switch that can be made to make weight is LB > DE because few, if any, DBs are generated with 226#, and I don't think even those players are going to hit a 50# gain.
Last edited at 7/04/2020 10:56 pm

By Mcarovil
7/04/2020 11:28 pm
This thread is comical. We all know what we should do. Needing a rule written perfectly detailing weights and such is redundant to the issue. Just do the right thing and stop bitching. Simple.

By Cjfred68
7/04/2020 11:34 pm
Edit to add: This is addressed to Setherick and not Mcarovil. While Mcarovil is smarter then me, he isnt on Seths level. Sorry Mc

We all know you are the smartest person in the room.....so I will say again....start your own league....establish your own rules.

I will follow Gregs rule and not constantly try to poke holes in it. If you can beat the new rules....bravo and congrads!

Then I'm sure he will adjust as needed.

You would think someone so intelligent would win title after title but that's not the case. But of course that's not why you play the game right? If you really wanted to win titles...you would....but you have your own reasons for playing the game.

You make declarations that you feel should be taken as 100% fact because of your superiority to everyone.....maybe if you had the hardware to back it up....more people would listen.

Whats the saying....those that can't do....teach!

I'm just an idiot that plays the game but I have 3 times the titles that you have without databases or insider information. I just play the game and enjoy.

What you do seems more like work then fun...I have a fulltime job and I play this game for enjoyment and an escape....not to be constantly reminded how stupid I am by someone who can't back it up.
Last edited at 7/05/2020 12:15 am

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
7/05/2020 3:51 am
Mcarovil wrote:
This thread is comical. We all know what we should do. Needing a rule written perfectly detailing weights and such is redundant to the issue. Just do the right thing and stop bitching. Simple.

Well said.