The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: The Official McKeon Rule

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
7/03/2020 12:36 pm
Starting with the 1990 season, all DL must be actual DL and weigh at least 265 lbs. To cover this, it is recommended each team roster twice as many DL as you start. A 3-4 base defense team should have at least 6 DL, a 4-3 base team needs 8.

* Injury Exception (3-4 base defense) If a team with a 3-4 base defense falls below 6 probable/healthy players (questionable or worse...gotta play the probables before a LB) then they may plug a LB in at DL.

* Injury Exception (4-3 base defense) If a team with a 4-3 base defense falls below 8 probable/healthy DL then they may plug in a LB for depth.

* The Injury Exception is a temporary fix, and not meant as a way to circumvent the rule. If you're short on defensive line personnel, you'll need to either make a reasonable effort to sign one off the street or convert that depth LB to a DE
__________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for Injury Exception

The LB must be at the end of the DL depth chart and not start unless the serious injuries are really bad that he has to start.

Probable injuries do not count for this rule, only questionable or worse.

Rosters are not required to carry 2 times the DL they start, though it is highly recommended you do so

Violations will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Last edited at 7/04/2020 5:46 am

7/03/2020 12:37 pm
A good example of this new rule is my team right now. If this were the 1990 playoffs, I would be allowed to put a LB in my DL depth chart because I play the 3-4 and have just 5 healthy DL.

By setherick
7/03/2020 12:40 pm
You need to clarify the weight. Otherwise, someone (i.e. me) is just going to take 6 DBs and make them DEs. They'll be 240-250# and be nearly as fast as McKeon.

7/03/2020 12:42 pm
setherick wrote:
You need to clarify the weight. Otherwise, someone (i.e. me) is just going to take 6 DBs and make them DEs. They'll be 240-250# and be nearly as fast as McKeon.

Thanks, done. Must weigh 265 lbs has been added.

7/03/2020 12:47 pm
I also reserve the right to adjust, tweak, or completely change this rule AT ANY TIME, even during the season if situations warrant it.

In other words, if someone tries something sneaky as a workaround that I haven't covered yet, I can and will adjust the rule as needed, even if it's Week 8 or whatever.

7/03/2020 12:50 pm
Also, before anyone brings up FL Hitch again, if an offensive player is making a mockery of our all time season stats like McKeon this year, I'll address that as well. Jake Peralta started off on that kind of pace, but most of our top 20 receiving seasons were in the 1970's when we were playing version 4.3.

By Infinity on Trial
7/03/2020 5:01 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Rosters are not required to carry 2 times the DL they start

This would seem to allow that someone could carry 4 DTs and use LBs at the DE spots.

I've long advocated for league commissioners to use their power to make the game better, but I am not a fan of poorly written rules that are more complicated than they need to be.

By Infinity on Trial
7/03/2020 5:03 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Also, before anyone brings up FL Hitch again, if an offensive player is making a mockery of our all time season stats like McKeon this year, I'll address that as well. Jake Peralta started off on that kind of pace, but most of our top 20 receiving seasons were in the 1970's when we were playing version 4.3.

I agree the comparison is a distraction, but I don't mind pointing out that routine 2K receiving seasons are not a concern — stopping them is.

This is the same league that voted to install OL in the HOF while snubbing an all-time great DB, which says a lot about how offensive the average owner is.

By Infinity on Trial
7/03/2020 5:06 pm
Can we expect a rule banning offensive players from playing defense? The use of a WR to rack up interceptions is far more unethical/problematic to me than using an extraordinarily rare LB to blitz.

I am trying to make serious points, but I guess I should stop here. It seems inevitable that this thread also will be locked in a fit of childish sensitivity.

7/04/2020 4:30 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
raidergreg69 wrote:
Rosters are not required to carry 2 times the DL they start

This would seem to allow that someone could carry 4 DTs and use LBs at the DE spots.

All that means is a 3-4 team doesn't have to carry 6 DL, or a 4-3 team has to roster 8. DL encompasses both DE and DT, so I fail to see how someone can start a LB as a DE, unless that LB weighs 265 lbs.

That being said, if it seems anyone is purposely shorting their defensive lineman in the hopes of sliding a speedy LB in there due to injury, I guess I need to expand the injury exceptions to include limits. This is why I included the rider that I can change things whenever, because I'm not a lawyer, and I don't always have the time to think of every way someone will try and circumvent the rules.