The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: The Official McKeon Rule

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
7/04/2020 4:33 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
[

I've long advocated for league commissioners to use their power to make the game better, but I am not a fan of poorly written rules that are more complicated than they need to be.

Perhaps you would like to take over? If not you, someone else then?

7/04/2020 4:39 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
but I don't mind pointing out that routine 2K receiving seasons are not a concern — stopping them is.

What routine 2K receiving seasons? In 16 regular seasons, we've had 19 total 2,000 yard receiving seasons, the last one by your guy in 1984. I write stupid rules but my math tells me that's about 1.2 such stat seasons per year.

7/04/2020 4:43 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Can we expect a rule banning offensive players from playing defense? The use of a WR to rack up interceptions is far more unethical/problematic to me than using an extraordinarily rare LB to blitz.

We can address offensive players playing defense after we're done with this mess. That extraordinarily rare LB doesn't even play LB, that's the whole problem.

7/04/2020 4:58 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:

I am trying to make serious points, but I guess I should stop here. It seems inevitable that this thread also will be locked in a fit of childish sensitivity.

Potato po-tat-o. I shut both threads down because they were not helping anything, and as a matter of fact, I shut one down after I read a comment from Seth asking me to do just that.

What you call childish sensitivity, I call not wanting to deal with bullshit. I made a rule, and instead of going with the flow, you come at me from multiple angles while also throwing Smirt under the bus for using a WR as a DB. You may not have mentioned him by name, but it's pretty obvious to me whom you're referring to.

Personally, I don't see much difference between using Socrates Rogers as a DB and your team having all those speed demon CBs with mediocre skill sets, other than the position designation.

By Smirt211
7/04/2020 5:31 am
Institute the rule for next season. It'd require me to remove Rogers from that situation and it's the only player I'm using in that capacity. I'll simply enter the new season knowing that move is now off the table and go on from there.

but I am not a fan of poorly written rules that are more complicated than they need to be.

This was just nasty. Greg didn't do anything to get ugly behavior tossed at him. He's about as fair minded as there is on this website.

7/04/2020 5:52 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:
raidergreg69 wrote:
Rosters are not required to carry 2 times the DL they start

This would seem to allow that someone could carry 4 DTs and use LBs at the DE spots.

All that means is a 3-4 team doesn't have to carry 6 DL, or a 4-3 team has to roster 8. DL encompasses both DE and DT, so I fail to see how someone can start a LB as a DE, unless that LB weighs 265 lbs.

That being said, if it seems anyone is purposely shorting their defensive lineman in the hopes of sliding a speedy LB in there due to injury, I guess I need to expand the injury exceptions to include limits. This is why I included the rider that I can change things whenever, because I'm not a lawyer, and I don't always have the time to think of every way someone will try and circumvent the rules.

I added a line to the injury exception in the original post. Before anyone asks, a "reasonable effort" is basically a contract offer to a defensive lineman. I won't hold it against someone if the contract is rejected, unless they purposefully offer more than their salary cap allows.

By Infinity on Trial
7/04/2020 9:07 am
Smirt211 wrote:
Institute the rule for next season. It'd require me to remove Rogers from that situation and it's the only player I'm using in that capacity. I'll simply enter the new season knowing that move is now off the table and go on from there.

but I am not a fan of poorly written rules that are more complicated than they need to be.

This was just nasty. Greg didn't do anything to get ugly behavior tossed at him. He's about as fair minded as there is on this website.

I believe good people can make bad rules. This would be a lot less complicated by simply saying DL must be above X weight or below X speed

By setherick
7/04/2020 9:28 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
[quote="Infinity on Trial"]
Personally, I don't see much difference between using Socrates Rogers as a DB and your team having all those speed demon CBs with mediocre skill sets, other than the position designation.

I don't particularly care about the WR at DB argument because INTs are so few anyway. But there are a few things that I think should be cleared up about this.

Playing a WR at DB is exploiting the code, but not in a way that most people thing about.

1) Catching determines a DB's ability to make an INT. This is the obvious one that people think about. But, if I remember correctly, it (or maybe Route Running) also determines the player's reaction when the ball is in the air. Like when your WR sometimes comes flying back to a long pass that is underthrown (it happens rarely) instead of just running down the field oblivious. This means coverage skills don't matter because the WR-turned-DB is going to react better when the ball is in the air.

2) WRs are generated with better cover skills on average than DBs are generated with Pass Catching and Courage Skills. Take for example this draft:

Pos avg_m2m max_m2m med_m2m avg_catch max_catch med_catch
CB 57.18 94 58.5 13.46 24 14
FS 47.57 77 52 14.29 23 16
SS 54.33 79 53 11.67 15 13
WR 15.19 33 14 57.8 100 55

(Wow the formatting of that is bad. I'll fix it later maybe. Maybe not.)

Note that the average Max M2M is 1-3.5 points higher for WRs than max catch for DBs. The WR with the 33 M2M is actually a perfectly playable WR for most situations for reason #3.

3) DB cover skills are only used in specific situations. This continues to **** me off: Knockdowns are not controlled by any DB skill. They are determined by the DBs proximity to the WR when the ball is approaching. Punish? It is used to determine whether the DB can knock away the ball _after_ the WR is actively catching it. M2M Cover? It determines if a DB can stay with the WR when the WR uses Route - so slant routes and RB wheel routes. The rest of "coverage" is still largely SP vs SP. [The caveat here being B&R vs B&R Avoid, which I see as part of the SP vs SP equation.] Zone? JDB says that it determines how quickly a player reacts to an offensive player entering his zone, but I think it does exactly nothing.

What this means is there is no penalty in most situations for playing a WR at DB, and you get the added benefit of how the DB is going to react and intercept the ball. So it does exploit the code that way.

But 10-12 INTs over the course of a season isn't going to change the game in the way that 10-11 sacks in a game changes it, which is why I don't care about WRs at DBs. And why I first opened up the discussion thread of whether McKeon was an exploit worth dealing with.

7/04/2020 2:57 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Smirt211 wrote:

I believe good people can make bad rules. This would be a lot less complicated by simply saying DL must be above X weight or below X speed

I did, once Mac pointed out I didn't include it. All DL must weigh 265 lbs.

By Infinity on Trial
7/04/2020 7:33 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Smirt211 wrote:

I did, once Mac pointed out I didn't include it. All DL must weigh 265 lbs.

No, you said DL must weight 265 pounds UNLESS [insert indecipherable gibberish about needing X amount of DL except when you don't in which case it's totally fine to use an LB except when it isn't]