The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: PUNT BLOCK EXPLOIT BANNED

By Cjfred68
6/08/2020 7:55 pm
setherick wrote:
5 were against long passes that are typically used to exploit defenses because they send the RB under the coverage.

2 were against medium passes (1 of which should never be used by anyone).

Looking at the pressures by McKeon most of those were against long passes too.

Short story, long: don't try to exploit my team with long passes that send the RB under the coverage and expect to not get sacked.

I'm not questioning your incredible brilliance or that you are the best...its without question....any success I've had has been by luck.

My question/concern is that when this version hit....it was obvious that long passing was broken and needed to be trimmed to almost nil in the gameplan.

It's been a year or more and have we come full circle to where long passing is called once again by so many? I wasn't questioning your defensive schemes as much as why so many long passes are being called in general.

By Infinity on Trial
6/08/2020 9:03 pm
I feel like it's all cyclical. You sell out to stop the Hitch, suddenly you're getting burned by long passes. You think you have it all figured out, suddenly somebody runs for 200 yards. I love the chess match.

By Cjfred68
6/08/2020 9:14 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
I feel like it's all cyclical. You sell out to stop the Hitch, suddenly you're getting burned by long passes. You think you have it all figured out, suddenly somebody runs for 200 yards. I love the chess match.

I'm guessing your right....I've kinda lost track of the deep passing game and it seems its come back to some extent....only those 18 sacks in 2 games show its being used once again and I let my guard down against it because I thought everyone had given up on it.

By Infinity on Trial
6/08/2020 9:17 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:

I'm guessing your right....I've kinda lost track of the deep passing game and it seems its come back to some extent....only those 18 sacks in 2 games show its being used once again and I let my guard down against it because I thought everyone had given up on it.

Another example:

I've always preached against using GL defenses against GL offense. Setherick has discovered that a 95+ speed DB blitzing from MLB in Attack #3 will obliterate any GL pass. I suspect it may obliterate any pass from any set. I also suspect that the right GL run will destroy the Attack #3.

By setherick
6/08/2020 9:38 pm
The outside GL runs will definitely destroy the Attack #3 ... especially if the blitzing DB gets picked up by the OL.

By setherick
6/08/2020 9:55 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
[quote="setherick"]
It's been a year or more and have we come full circle to where long passing is called once again by so many? I wasn't questioning your defensive schemes as much as why so many long passes are being called in general.

It's because SOME of the long passes are effective against so many of the defenses used to prevent SOME of the exploit plays. The Weak I All Go destroys the FZ because the LB gets dragged deep and the RB gets iso'ed 1:1 against a safety who has to come down to cover. This is a disaster for most teams.

The Slot Out does the same thing except it iso's the RB against the MLB.

When a team runs a lot of FZ, I'll take those odds. The problem is when you are auto-piloting
an offense that over calls long passes on long downs and then don't turn off your GP adjustment and then you lose yardage on a few plays, it becomes a long game.

The 203 Deep Post (I'm not checking, it's a split backs play) is one of the most effective passes in the game against MOST of the defenses because it iso's the WR3 against the CB3 without a double team and the QB waits for the WR3 to come open in the middle of the field.
Last edited at 6/08/2020 9:57 pm

By Cjfred68
6/08/2020 10:01 pm
If you say so....I dont play zone....my GP is set to 0.....and even on 3rd and long, I'm only calling long pass 10% of the time.....Getting behind the chains via a sack is a recipe for disaster in this version.

By setherick
6/08/2020 10:41 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
If you say so....I dont play zone....my GP is set to 0.....and even on 3rd and long, I'm only calling long pass 10% of the time.....Getting behind the chains via a sack is a recipe for disaster in this version.

If you are calling long passes up to 10% of the time (overlooking the fact that the play calling matrix is not a strict percentage system), then you're calling 6-8 per game. That's a lot of opportunities to get sacked.

I set my matrix to 2-5 for most downs for long passes except against defenses where I see a weakness.

By setherick
6/08/2020 10:46 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:
Never thought I wouldve been the one being called out for exploit here...

I mean that's what those RB swing routes are designed to do in the long passes. Pull the coverage deep and then let the RB have an open field. There is a difference between exploiting a defense in that way and overcalling the Hitch.

By Cjfred68
6/08/2020 10:58 pm
setherick wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:

If you are calling long passes up to 10% of the time (overlooking the fact that the play calling matrix is not a strict percentage system), then you're calling 6-8 per game. That's a lot of opportunities to get sacked.

I set my matrix to 2-5 for most downs for long passes except against defenses where I see a weakness.

And yet I've only been sacked 1 time all season
....told you I'm lucky!

Actually its 23 in 5 games so right around 5 per game

....but it helps when your QB has 85 speed and 75 scramble
Last edited at 6/08/2020 11:07 pm