The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: PUNT BLOCK EXPLOIT BANNED

By CrazyRazor
4/15/2020 8:55 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
I didn't check every play but I did check 1 punt return formation on film from every team. I found a second team technically in violation but I didn't send them a PM yet. The team I did contact is using a SS with 89 speed, the team I didn't is using a SS with 77 speed.

I'm all for banning punt blocks, but where do I draw the line? Do I send the team with the 77 speed SS a PM asking him to remove him? What if the team I did PM doesn't take the 89 speed SS out? Do I boot him on the spot after Week 12 or do I wait for that guy to actually block a punt?

I need you guys to tell me where to draw the line because if I'm going to boot people, they need to know where the point of no return is.

Personal Opinion:

Since this was implemented immediately, I'd give the GM's a minimum of 48 hrs to respond to your PM. If they're logging in everyday, that should be adequate time to respond. Remind them of the repercussions, of course.

As for the DB's with varying speed - It depends on your expectations. I've made it clear in ANARCHY, if there's a DB on the front four they'll be contacted by me. If there's a punt block while that DB is on the front four, they'll be removed. It doesn't take a lot of effort to follow this.
Last edited at 4/15/2020 8:55 am

By Dash
4/15/2020 2:28 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
I didn't check every play but I did check 1 punt return formation on film from every team. I found a second team technically in violation but I didn't send them a PM yet. The team I did contact is using a SS with 89 speed, the team I didn't is using a SS with 77 speed.

I'm all for banning punt blocks, but where do I draw the line? Do I send the team with the 77 speed SS a PM asking him to remove him? What if the team I did PM doesn't take the 89 speed SS out? Do I boot him on the spot after Week 12 or do I wait for that guy to actually block a punt?

I need you guys to tell me where to draw the line because if I'm going to boot people, they need to know where the point of no return is.

I think if it's clear they are trying to Attempt to block them they're in Violation. "Intent" is the word i'm looking for.
Last edited at 4/15/2020 9:23 pm

By hollyhh2000
4/17/2020 3:38 am
We should also prepare for some speedy guys moved to LBs, which are solely used for Punt Blocking, no offense to that guy, it was a legal tactics, we had one manager who used a 95+ Speed CB with a sub 55 CB Rating who could nothing but run fast, and he blocked tons of punts (I had 7 blocked in one Conference Championship game (with a mediocre Punter and OLs trying to block speed guys, so I really could have done better preparing for it)

however, this guy moved to WLB will still be around 90 Speed and able to block lots of punts

By Cjfred68
4/17/2020 5:36 am
The only ST RUSHER #1 - #4 on the punt return team are the front four and they should be LB or defensive lineman with a weight restriction of at least 230 lbs.

The rest of the players on punt return (including the wings) come from GUNNERS.

Any speedy CB (+90 speed) transitioned to LB should gain weight which slows them down. So if someone blocks a punt with a linebacker with 90 speed....somethings up because neither linebackers nor defensive lineman ever reach 90 speed. I believe LBs cap at 89 and they are the best of the best while defensive linemen rarely exceed 80-81.

To avoid any mistakes or whoops situation...all ST RUSHERS in the depth chart should be either LBs or defensive linemen so if due to injury or fatigue...ST RUSHER #10 who happens to be a CB doesnt line up and block a punt.

So the short answer is

ST RUSHER
LB or DE or DT with a minimum of 230 lbs.

GUNNERS
CB, SS, FS or any other fast player you want. The goal wasnt to completely remove the punt block...just stop the blatant use of speed on the front four to break the code.

Let's be honest here....if during an NFL game....4 speedy sub 200 pound guys lined up on the defensive line opposite 5 300 pound offensive linemen....most coaches wouldnt hesitate to call a direct snap inside run right up the gut....as long as it was 4th and 5 or 6 or less.

Anyway...that's my guidelines I'm using in my leagues

By Mcarovil
4/17/2020 9:43 am
Honesty, you will never be able to police 100%. If tactics like this are used, then that owner is purposefully trying to skirt the rule and is a ****. I mean, its a fricking SIM football game meant to be fun. To go out of your way to be a **** is a bit much and I don’t want to be in leagues with a **** like that. So much time and effort going into preventing the punt block exploit where it should be as simple as, hey don’t do it, and move on.

hollyhh2000 wrote:
We should also prepare for some speedy guys moved to LBs, which are solely used for Punt Blocking, no offense to that guy, it was a legal tactics, we had one manager who used a 95+ Speed CB with a sub 55 CB Rating who could nothing but run fast, and he blocked tons of punts (I had 7 blocked in one Conference Championship game (with a mediocre Punter and OLs trying to block speed guys, so I really could have done better preparing for it)

however, this guy moved to WLB will still be around 90 Speed and able to block lots of punts
Last edited at 4/17/2020 9:44 am

By Smirt211
4/17/2020 10:49 am
I transformed the Punt Return Screen back to what it was for me before: pure pass blocking to maximize the punt return.

At this point (with the out-pouring on wanting it to be stopped and the power behind it) you really have to be a **** to go all-in on figuring out ways to still make it happen.

At some point you have to just leave it alone.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/19/2020 11:00 pm
Greyghost refused to comply with the new rule and left Memphis. He used #33 on punt block front 4 in Weeks 11 and 12 and did not like me PMing him tonight asking him AGAIN to remove #33. I told him to remove that player or leave the league and he made his choice.

By Mcarovil
4/19/2020 11:34 pm
Lol. Buh Bye. Unreal.
raidergreg69 wrote:
Greyghost refused to comply with the new rule and left Memphis. He used #33 on punt block front 4 in Weeks 11 and 12 and did not like me PMing him tonight asking him AGAIN to remove #33. I told him to remove that player or leave the league and he made his choice.

By Cjfred68
4/19/2020 11:42 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:

Its unfortunate but rules are rules for everyone. There is a reason the USFL is constantly full....its a great league and run by an active admin.

I'm sure you wont have a problem filling the opening.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/20/2020 2:19 pm
The good news is the ban is working. Memphis was the only team to not follow the rules and that has been dealt with. I checked all 32 teams for Week 13 and every single team was in compliance. THANK YOU!

* I only checked the first punt I saw for each team. Injuries may result in an illegal substitution, so please check your ST Rusher depth chart and remove all guys < 237 lbs to be safe*

I won't be checking every week so I'm going to rely on you guys to let me know if someone switches back. I ALWAYS read my PMs, so you can report it that way if you wish to remain anonymous.