The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: No 2 way player rule needs discussion please

By Infinity on Trial
8/18/2020 6:13 pm
I have no plans to quit MFN (pandemic pending).

I have attempted in this thread to respond to personal attacks without retaliation. My focus instead is on explaining some things in a way that a few people might find helpful, and correcting inaccurate information.

By Cjfred68
8/18/2020 6:19 pm
One more thing....one of my players this time....

LDE William Coppedge
275 pounds
Default rating 26/26

His General Attributes

Speed 82
Acceleration 75
Strength 54
Intelligence 41
Disciple 60

Football skill attributes

His highest skill attribute is 8....yes I said eight and they are in Scramble and Pass reception courage. His defensive skills relevant to LDE are:

Tackle 3
Strip Ball 3
Pass Rush 4
Run defense 3

To a lesser extent but to prove a point:

Punish receiver 7
Zone coverage 1
M2M 2
B&R 7

He seriously has no redeeming quality but speed and acceleration at 275 pounds.

I play him at LDE as depth and he has played 86 total plays all season and has 2 tackles and 2 sacks with 1 missed tackle. He was thrown at 1 time and didn't allow a catch.

Look him up yourself, he is horrible but still produces in a limited roll BECAUSE OF SPEED!

By Cjfred68
8/18/2020 6:30 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
I have no plans to quit MFN (pandemic pending).

I have attempted in this thread to respond to personal attacks without retaliation. My focus instead is on explaining some things in a way that a few people might find helpful, and correcting inaccurate information.

You shouldn't take comments about the issues with this game as personal insults. I've said repeatedly you are one of the best gameplanners in the game.

Taking the fact that speed is disproportionately important in this game to other attributes as a personal attack is insane.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong or cheating or something....you are simply exploiting weaknesses that the game has in it.

By Infinity on Trial
8/18/2020 6:57 pm
I'm not asking for a compliment, and I'm not offended. My biggest complaint with the forums in this league is how highly sensitive a couple of people are.

We all know setherick and smirt are the best at gameplanning. I lose frequently to the top talent. Mac just beat me in DH playoffs, where I have CR's former team. Smirt and lellow beat me pretty good in Champions, where I also lost a game because of poor ST coverage. If memory serves, tribewriter beat me in a startup league earlier this year where I had a team I built from scratch.

You wrote this:

"Spend years putting together a great roster via free agency, the draft and trades with all your players fully rounded out for there position and you have great depth to back it up. Consistently lose to a roster with empty players with speed paired with quality players."

1) You also inherited a lot of good players, including the greatest WR corps I've ever had to compete against.
2) Your idea of a great roster is not the same as mine. I don't get excited by passing stats.
3) I also worked hard to put together a competitive roster, with attention to all 53 roster spots.
4) A great roster doesn't mean anything if you can't defend the run.

By Infinity on Trial
8/18/2020 7:07 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
One more thing....one of my players this time....

LDE William Coppedge
275 pounds
Default rating 26/26

His General Attributes

Speed 82
Acceleration 75
Strength 54
Intelligence 41
Disciple 60

Look him up yourself, he is horrible but still produces in a limited roll BECAUSE OF SPEED!

I agree, this is a big problem with this game. But take note: Speed alone won't get there. Acceleration is critical to getting the first step.

Also note: You can get to the QB by having an advantage in speed vs speed, acceleration vs acceleration, or pass rush vs pass block in any DL/OL matchup. QB play is maligned because, on defense, you only need one of those three dice rolls to go your way. If you are rushing five, the offense has to go 15/15 on dice rolls, or risk sack/incompletion/interception.

I was totally trolling with Downing and Seymour, after last year's meltdown over sacks. Both are converted offensive players ... who have a good combo of speed and acceleration. Even so, while trying to maximize the exploit, I could barely get any production out of them.

My conclusion is that guys like Coppedge aren't worth it: Six sacks max on the season, offset by being constant liabilities and not able to contribute in any other facet of the game. Perhaps you could stash one guy like that to sub in Dime packages, though.