The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: No 2 way player rule needs discussion please

By Smirt211
8/17/2020 11:28 am
Have it so that the sim engine disrespects empty rated players vs. ones whom have filled up red bars, legit ones.

Sim engine can be a laser beam and strike down as it only sees speed, ball carry and avoid fumble lets say for a RB with the pass catching stuff nil.

It recognizes and zaps the player.

Speed stays the same for regular players (legit ones) and the ones whom have empty ratings get pulverized/docked.....or whatever....

There's a balance somewhere.

By Cjfred68
8/17/2020 11:38 am
Spend years putting together a great roster via free agency, the draft and trades with all your players fully rounded out for there position and you have great depth to back it up.

Consistently lose to a roster with empty players with speed paired with quality players.

By my weights (future)

MEMPHIS
>59......8
60-69..13
70-79..14
80-89..9
<90.....9

HOUSTON
>59......2
60-69..1
70-79..17
80-89..24
<90......10

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/17/2020 11:48 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
Spend years putting together a great roster via free agency, the draft and trades with all your players fully rounded out for there position and you have great depth to back it up.

Consistently lose to a roster with empty players with speed paired with quality players.

By my weights (future)

MEMPHIS
>59......8
60-69..13
70-79..14
80-89..9
<90.....9

HOUSTON
>59......2
60-69..1
70-79..17
80-89..24
<90......10

I never liked his roster construction but what could I do about it? In fact, I bet if I look deep in my PMs to Cjfred, pretty sure when IOT joined, I told CJ that Memphis would win a title with a bunch of crappy players. Crappy in that they have just speed, no skills.

8/17/2020 12:09 pm
Found it, from nearly a full year ago...

Look at his transactions so far. He traded 1 guy with speed and skills for 2 guys with just speed. He signed an OL that has almost no blocking skills, yet by the time 1986 is done, he'll probably have a 19-0 season with a roster full of 50-60 rated players.

By Smirt211
8/17/2020 12:13 pm
There's a way to handle this but JDB has to be fair and transparent.

Based on how some feel, you can position it like this.

If a player's card is meant for WR and offense then you better play the player that way.
If a player's card is meant for CB and defense then you better play him that way.

Basically, the WR whom is empty rated in ball hawking skills will get turnstiled on defense and/or I saw this mentioned....JDB is creating something where the player can't go into the defensive depth chart or defensive over-rides, a barrier.

Ditto CB @ RB whom lacks offensive ball skills sans the avoid fumble.

Concession: You leave the WR usage at RB alone; eliminate the cross-over sh*t.
Last edited at 8/17/2020 12:14 pm

8/17/2020 12:15 pm
I would prefer this is handled at the JDB level so we can get back to playing football without custom rules.

By Smirt211
8/17/2020 12:16 pm
Yeah, he can't go overboard though because then we'll be back to 2-blitz systems ending runners in the backfield and dealing with that sucky style play.

By Cjfred68
8/17/2020 1:42 pm
I dont think scoring points is an issue. Its all relative.

We have 6 teams averaging over 30 a game and 2 of them averaging over 40.

On the flip side, we have 5 teams averaging 10 points or less.

If more then just speed mattered, scoring would be the same.

By setherick
8/17/2020 6:04 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:

If more then just speed mattered, scoring would be the same.

There is a lot more that matters than speed, but it's really difficult to discover. Most of the success that defenses have rely on field spacing rather than speed. Some of this is easy to think of through basic observation of plays. For example, want to control the Hitch, then make sure you have a single high safety with good Zone and Punish over the WR2.

But how certain plays work against other plays is harder to discover. You certainly can't do it with any of the stats provided in game planning section, and while you could do it through watching a lot of games, it's hard to concentrate your observational data on more than one play at a time.

Speed becomes the way to equalize this work at least on defense. Your opponent is going to have fewer big plays if your bench warmers can at least chase them down. I'm not going to give away any of IoT's roster building, but the only positions he really cares about speed and nothing but speed are his bench. He has a heuristic for most other positions.
Last edited at 8/17/2020 8:41 pm

By tribewriter
8/17/2020 8:05 pm
Yes, IoT did explain a little to me about why the low overall players are on his roster. Basically, they are high in one or two skills and he only uses those players in situations where those skills will be employed.

His overrides must be very complex and very specific.