The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: No 2 way player rule needs discussion please

By Infinity on Trial
8/18/2020 9:00 am
tribewriter wrote:
Yes, IoT did explain a little to me about why the low overall players are on his roster. Basically, they are high in one or two skills and he only uses those players in situations where those skills will be employed.

His overrides must be very complex and very specific.

I'd prefer to let people think it's all about speed, though. It makes them easier to beat with an inferior roster.

By Infinity on Trial
8/18/2020 9:08 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
WR Numbers Zielinski
Default rating 50/51

93 speed
27 ball carry
6 break tackle
78 avoid fumble

7 rushes for 64 yards (9.1 average)

Just going to highlight one example here. Zielinski isn't on the roster because that one carry per game is going to make a difference. He's on the roster because of 91 run blocking ability.

Of his seven runs, 24 yards came on the final play of a 44-3 blowout.

By Cjfred68
8/18/2020 10:49 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:
WR Numbers Zielinski
Default rating 50/51

93 speed
27 ball carry
6 break tackle
78 avoid fumble

7 rushes for 64 yards (9.1 average)

Just going to highlight one example here. Zielinski isn't on the roster because that one carry per game is going to make a difference. He's on the roster because of 91 run blocking ability.

Of his seven runs, 24 yards came on the final play of a 44-3 blowout.

LDE William Downing
Default rating 46/50

77 speed
79 acceleration
27 tackle
10 strip ball
28 pass rush
26 run defense

Leads the team with 4 sacks and has played 356 plays.

And Downing is here because of his?

WLB Tommy Seymour
Default rating 21/37

74 speed
83 acceleration
9 tackle
10 strip ball
8 pass rush
5 run defense

171 plays and has 4 tackles 2 sacks and 3 hurries.

Seymour is here because of his ?

CB Paul Gordon, Edward Morrison, Marshall Brewer
Default ratings 43/43 50/53 28/47

Speed 96,91,91
M2M 28,41,46
B&R 48,29,56
Tackle 45,40,58

Combined for 21 tackles, 1 INT

CB Stephen Ramsey
Default rating 28/52

Speed 88
Acceleration 70
Tackle 15
M2M 41
B&R 14

6 starts at SS with 30 tackles, 7 knockdowns 2 INT and one a pick 6.

These 4 corners are all here because of ?

Cant be speed because Im wrong so it must be something else....hmmmmm

By Cjfred68
8/18/2020 11:40 am
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I joined MFN to play a roster management sim where I take over a francise....draft, sign free agents and manage the salary cap. I wanted something that closely mimicked the NFL and MFN is the closest sim I've found that accomplishes that.

When roster only came out, I thought great, just put together the roster and let the A.I. run the games but unfortunately the A.I. can't game manage so rules are necessary and I like the idea of controlling the play matrix.

The problem is too many owners are too smart and have figured out loopholes and shortcuts which screw with roster construction and the actual importance of complete players....yes speed is overpowered!

Everyone can blow all the smoke they want about how speed isn't the single most important attribute in the game and believe them if you want but a 96 speed CB playing RB proves it matters.

Infinity is a great gameplanner and I'm sure he does all types of brilliant gameplanning and rule making but the facts are his team has 15 players over 90 speed, another 14 over 80 and 12 more over 70...thats 41 of his 53 with good to great speed.

I personally would like other attributes to matter more. A 96 speed CB playing RB at 190 pounds should be prone to injury....his lack of any ball carry and break tackle should put limits on his success.

276 pound LDEs with 75 speed should exist but if their tackle, pass rush and run defense are in the teens...they should fail more often then not.

I love the rules in this league and the future rule....it makes this game more realistic....I like building my roster and competing but I dont want to build and compete based on taking advantage of the code....I want to build and compete based on real football.

By tribewriter
8/18/2020 12:04 pm
I haven't even started on the overrides for Memphis yet. In fact, there's a whole lot that I haven't done yet with this team. To attain a level of detail that even approaches what IoT was doing is going to require a significant amount of study and time commitement on my part. I just emailed my boss at work about early retirement options.

By Infinity on Trial
8/18/2020 12:41 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:

CB Stephen Ramsey
Default rating 28/52

Speed 88
Acceleration 70
Tackle 15
M2M 41
B&R 14

6 starts at SS with 30 tackles, 7 knockdowns 2 INT and one a pick 6.

These 4 corners are all here because of ?

Cant be speed because Im wrong so it must be something else....hmmmmm

Not going to go player by player with you, but I want to call attention to intentionally misleading information. Ramsey's potential m2m is 87. He's at SS because the 22 b&r would be a liability at CB. His poor zone coverage (which you don't even register?) means he should be subbed on sets where the SS plays a deep zone.

Don't forget that I traded for 60 speed Gordon Wong to make him my CB1.

We all joined because we like the idea of a sim that places emphasis on roster management.

By Cjfred68
8/18/2020 3:27 pm
Yes...Im intentionally showing his current ratings as it relates to his success.

You take all this like a personal attack, you are a great gameplanning, maybe the best but it doesn't change the problems this game has with speed being WAY more important then actual football skill.

Yes, your starting SS has a future 87 M2M along with 22 zone and 40 tackle. Shouldn't tackling be pretty important for every defensive player?

Speed makes up for it, same for CBs, LDE, DT, RDE, SLB, WLB, MLB, FS and SS....The faster your players are at every position...the better.

Of course everyone wants players with real football attributes along with the 90 speed but you can't find enough of those so filling out the roster and creating depth is hard.

But....you can maneuver around that and save money on the process by filling out the depth chart with speedy players with little to no actual football skill. That's great, you and others have figured it out.....genius awards to all of you. I'm jealous of you all and wish I could compete......BUT.....it doesnt make it right or a better game when borderline cut players rack up ridiculous stats based off a broken code when it comes to speed.

Stop taking it personal.....unless you created the gane code.....hats off to you for figuring out how to game the sim but I want the game to be better.

Thats the reason for rules, to actually make the weight of players relevant. At this rate, more rules will come until JDB starts addressing the problems.

I'm done.

If you wanna argue speed isn the single most important attribute....have fun.

If you wanna argue the game is perfect as is....have fun.

If you wanna argue you arent taken advantage of a broken code with said speed....have fun.

Last edited at 8/18/2020 3:28 pm

By Mcarovil
8/18/2020 5:33 pm
Is today Infinity on Trial appreciation day? Or was that yesterday. Let me know if it’s tomorrow too. Kudos to him for getting all this attention!!!

By Cjfred68
8/18/2020 5:38 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
Is today Infinity on Trial appreciation day? Or was that yesterday. Let me know if it’s tomorrow too. Kudos to him for getting all this attention!!!

Its more of a going away present as he quit!

By Mcarovil
8/18/2020 5:56 pm
Quit? Again? Man, we were having fun in a few leagues he just joined. He has been a staple of MFN even before I joined.
Cjfred68 wrote:
Mcarovil wrote:

Its more of a going away present as he quit!