The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1987 Offseason

By Smirt211
1/06/2020 2:06 pm
True. It's about balance. Someone can get lost in the trading (we know a GM or two) and lose sight/not focus on game planning. If you're just focusing on roster building you're going to hit a brick wall against a certain competitive level. I'm not a trading whirling dervish, therefore, I don't have layers of layers of depth it equalizes a GM coming at me in game planning because I hit situations I can't 'escape hatch' my way out of. You can be masterful at roster management and have above average skills in game planning per se and battle anyone, especially if they've taken on a hit or two to equalize it. Flip side, if you're masterful at game planning you're hone in on that so you let the reins off worrying about spaced invader lines of rostered players in your depth chart and are vulnerable to injury hits.

any ways....about this league....

Last edited at 1/06/2020 2:07 pm

By Smirt211
1/06/2020 2:08 pm
My streamlined point was FA has nothing in it. This last one didn't even have a viable play maker (not 1!) and since this league is loaded with elite GMs lets say you're someone who'll never see a Top 15 pick you're going to be hard pressed to add an elite play maker that way.

I guess there's trading...

By Cjfred68
1/06/2020 2:20 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
My streamlined point was FA has nothing in it. This last one didn't even have a viable play maker (not 1!) and since this league is loaded with elite GMs lets say you're someone who'll never see a Top 15 pick you're going to be hard pressed to add an elite play maker that way.

I guess there's trading...

Just like with injuries.....every team is in the same boat. I found a 90 speed RB in the 5th round of the draft. He can be a playmaker.....not elite by any means but he slots in the depth chart and will make some plays.

Leagues like this make talent retention a priority and every draft pick important. Trading away some depth for extra picks gives you more rolls of the dice

By Smirt211
1/06/2020 2:25 pm
I'll have to adjust my mentality for this league and be more into trading.

I still double back how does one replace a seriously injured WR #1 or retired players from the RB #1, CB #1 spot. Beyond mashing down the trading accelerator of 1st rounders and otherwise....that's all I see.

I'll re-adjust to view this league differently than others.

By Infinity on Trial
1/06/2020 2:30 pm
I'd like to see an overhaul to the cap system, starting with these three rules:

1. Set a minimum salary at 0.0025 of the total cap (for a league starting at 132M, the min salary would be 330K). No more loading half the roster with guys who cost half that (like I often do).

2. Set a minimum veteran (4+ years of experience) salary at three times that amount.

3. Only the top 53 players (including IR) and dead money count against the cap. This would allow you to sign min contracts in perpetuity during the offseason and if you get into cap trouble.

Those three steps alone would put a dent in everyone's cap space.