The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1987 Offseason

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/05/2020 2:32 pm
I guess a slide bar wouldn't work, we'd need a button like the cut, contract, and view buttons to reverse injuries.

1/05/2020 2:36 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
We'll flash back to my first run here with the Arizona Wranglers. Curtis Scott got blasted with a serious injury and I lost season(s) with him plus had to change him to WR to try and shake the sim into letting him be relevant again. I'm not going to deeply research but also alongside this Corey Robinzine either aged out or retired early or both ....I think it was both. I fight hard so my 1st rounder wasn't anywhere to nail down a separator play maker of import and of course, FA is trash. No recourse to replace or aid injury/retirement scenarios.

I could become a Trader Jack and trade every 1st rounder I possess in sight (I guess!) to secure talent....I guess I should max and mash that idea to oblivion.

I'm not the type to lay down, take Ls and get 3 seasons of Top 5 Picks. It's not in me.

I was thinking more like the other way, trade off aging vets and accumulate picks. I'm not much of a trader mainly because I don't have the time/patience to create many offers. I put a few vets on the block this offseason but didn't get many bites.

By Smirt211
1/05/2020 2:42 pm
I was thinking more like the other way, trade off aging vets and accumulate picks.

I have such a strong distaste for that from regular MFN leagues and days of yore where retire rate players would be foisted upon clueless GMs whom would say 'hey, here's the keys to my kingdom' to elite GMs in this game. I'm cool with legit veteran trade offs for draft picks and a quick scan of this league I only see maybe a couple GMs who could be duped.

I like my 'speed freeze' idea. Age 30 only...and it depends how far you want to take it. All positions lock in at age 30 so age 31 becomes the new cliff descent.

It allows 1 more year of fun with your play maker and 1 more year to draft or FA some talent in. I wouldn't do this in any other league. Only ones where FA is worse than the despot wasteland in Mad Max Beyond MFN. :)

Last edited at 1/05/2020 2:42 pm

By Cjfred68
1/06/2020 12:40 pm
I would be opposed to any gimmicks for aging vets retaining speed. I love that this is a game balanced between a roster management sim and a gameplanning simulator week to week.

Some owners are great at one aspect while others are great at the other. This allows owners to have success a variety of ways.

Smirt is probably the best game planner in the game and without my roster management skills, I would never be able to compete in the long run against him.

What makes leagues like this great is talent is hard to come by as owners retain their talent. It creates a balance where even 5th 6th and 7th round picks can mean something. The competitive balance also increases the importance of trades.

I realized my team was aging and needed to get an influx of young talent so I traded an elite level 5th year RB for 4 high picks which turned into 4 starters for my team. I knew a long time ago that I would never become an elite game planner on Smirt and others level so I try to gain my advantage through roster management. I try to create deep/versatile rosters so I can handle injuries throughout a season and hopefully it gives me a chance to compete against the master game planners.

1/06/2020 12:49 pm
Well I wouldn't worry about any of this too much. First, the bells and whistles have to become available and I don't see JDB doing that any time soon. Then once available, I'd have to create a poll or polls to see what, if anything we'd change. Then the votes would have to be lopsided enough to adapt the changes, I won't change a league rule on a slim majority.

By Smirt211
1/06/2020 12:50 pm
Lets not under-sell my roster management. 1000s and 1000s of seasons of having the #1 rushing offense or at worse the 2nd best for the season is through mastery of position changes and product placements. I probably should trade out my vets more for younger players but I don't want to be a d*ck searching out GMs to get one over on in order to achieve the goals of dump offs. It'd be easy to go down the rabbit hole of any time my eyes feasted upon a retirement rate go scanning the league for an opportunity to flip it/find guys I could get over on in roster turnover-ing it to younger players.

I like to work in my own zone.

By Cjfred68
1/06/2020 1:00 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
Lets not under-sell my roster management. 1000s and 1000s of seasons of having the #1 rushing offense or at worse the 2nd best for the season is through mastery of position changes and product placements. I probably should trade out my vets more for younger players but I don't want to be a d*ck searching out GMs to get one over on in order to achieve the goals of dump offs. It'd be easy to go down the rabbit hole of any time my eyes feasted upon a retirement rate go scanning the league for an opportunity to flip it/find guys I could get over on in roster turnover-ing it to younger players.

I like to work in my own zone.

Predatory trading isnt what I'm talking about. I never attempt to get over on another owner but mutually beneficial trades can be achieved.....and I wasnt underselling your roster management skills......I called you a master game planner for Christ sake.......you have to be good at both to win.

Like I stated.....you are the best game planner I know......but I believe I have my edge in roster management simply by your own admission....you dont trade.....its not a knock because I dont do all the stuff you do gameplanning and know you are better at it

By Smirt211
1/06/2020 1:07 pm
We've played one another in a million title games/important games across the platform. I know you've watched me and picked things up. Going back you closed a pretty good gap and since then I cribbed some offensive plays off you and/or we've been countering each others moves now. Biggest rival on here and I view us as 50/50 skill wise/GM wise. Equal.

By Smirt211
1/06/2020 1:34 pm
I just got around to looking. I staved off a complete speed loss but my main guy went down some. I don't think it's cool that someone inside knows the mechanics and has flippantly mentioned banging in on it (to avoid speed loss and retirements) but since I'm not in the know I didn't know how to play it. OL was safest for no loss but I felt the sim might target and destroy my WR #1's non-speed vitals or majorly shift his speed with weight gain.

By Cjfred68
1/06/2020 1:55 pm
Dude,

I think you are missing my point.....you say we are equal.

My point is not everybody approaches this game the same way.

3+3+4 =10
2+7+1 =10

The end result is the same but the equation is different. We dont do it the same way.

I can guarantee our player weights are not the same. You use overrides and I dont. Our rules are different. I trade often...you dont.

It's not about who is better but this game allows everyone playing to arrive at the final destination in a different way.