The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1987 Offseason

By Smirt211
1/05/2020 9:53 am
Curious. Where as we, in a league structure such as this one (play makers impossible to come by in FAs or when drafting later in the 1st round), in terms of asset protection? (Age 30: WR whom is about to go Tom Petty'ing (Free Fallin') out into nothing - speed wise)

Ethically I don't think it's right and also I'm hesitant because I feel like there has to be an impediment put in place to damage the player by now and/or once I flip back/forth between offensive line per se....he'll be taken for a ride any way speed wise during Preseason Mid-week 1, Preseason Game 1.....etc etc knocking his speed down any way. However, really, I don't get the mechanics of how this would work.

By Smirt211
1/05/2020 12:41 pm
I ruminated on it and this league is the rarest of gems (maybe 1 other out there....maybe) which leaves no recourse due to the unfairness of FA. (nothing ever available play maker wise) I'm going to asset protect on this premise.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/05/2020 1:05 pm
Idk if it's unfairness in FA as all 32 teams are shopping the same bare shelves. Playing the league structure is important though as I believe you can't run every team the same way in every league.

In full leagues with 32 good owners there isn't going to be much, if any good young talent available. It's too easy to retain your good players, especially when nobody is spending big in FA. I've been looking for niche players here, guys that might help me 2-3 years, or depth pieces.

On the flipside, this makes draft picks more valuable in leagues like this, as that's the best way to build your team, albeit slowly.

If anyone has any solutions that we could implement without help from JDB, I'm all ears.

By Smirt211
1/05/2020 1:30 pm
Actually I think I found the best landing spot for him. Almost made a mistake with OL....something tells me the sim would lock into his offensive ratings outside of speed and tear 'em asunder. Ray flippantly discussed these tactics as if eh I do it all the time but I don't know the game mechanics like he does.

Let me debate out your post now.

By Smirt211
1/05/2020 1:36 pm
We'll flash back to my first run here with the Arizona Wranglers. Curtis Scott got blasted with a serious injury and I lost season(s) with him plus had to change him to WR to try and shake the sim into letting him be relevant again. I'm not going to deeply research but also alongside this Corey Robinzine either aged out or retired early or both ....I think it was both. I fight hard so my 1st rounder wasn't anywhere to nail down a separator play maker of import and of course, FA is trash. No recourse to replace or aid injury/retirement scenarios.

I could become a Trader Jack and trade every 1st rounder I possess in sight (I guess!) to secure talent....I guess I should max and mash that idea to oblivion.

I'm not the type to lay down, take Ls and get 3 seasons of Top 5 Picks. It's not in me.

By Smirt211
1/05/2020 1:46 pm
My suggestion:

1 serious injury reversal (even if the player has to be injured the entire time) per season ...what this means is the player WILL NOT suffer an injury where it effects his ratings going forward. Supposedly, a serious injury can make the player never be the same again.

and/or

Freeze Mode. 1 time per season usage.

Age 30 Play maker has their speed frozen, as is, for the training camp

Something, anything please. Just for this league..

Last edited at 1/05/2020 1:48 pm

1/05/2020 2:12 pm
Smirt211 wrote:
My suggestion:

1 serious injury reversal (even if the player has to be injured the entire time) per season ...what this means is the player WILL NOT suffer an injury where it effects his ratings going forward. Supposedly, a serious injury can make the player never be the same again.

and/or

Freeze Mode. 1 time per season usage.

Age 30 Play maker has their speed frozen, as is, for the training camp

Something, anything please. Just for this league..

Maybe one day we can have a slide bar for your suggestions like we have with the injury meter.

If I was going to suggest something to JDB, it would be a flexible salary cap. I would probably lower the cap so teams get squeezed and can't re-sign everyone so there are actual good FA available.

By Smirt211
1/05/2020 2:14 pm
Was the slide bar comment sarcasm?

1/05/2020 2:28 pm
No.

1/05/2020 2:30 pm
No sarcasm, I'm all for different options for stuff. I don't think we'll ever see anything like that but it might be worth a post in the suggestion box. I would have loved to reverse one of Rudi Johnson's serious injuries.