The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: New Blog Post, Jan. 19: 1982 Offseason Roundup

By Pernbronze
1/19/2019 9:57 pm
Another thing that likely heavily factored in was playing for me the previous season and being happy with me. I have no idea how much that factors in but I know it does.

Re: New Blog Post, Jan. 19: 1982 Offseason Roundup

By Mcarovil
1/19/2019 10:01 pm
Yes. True. It’s not a FA Strategy in whole but older players ready to retire, it’s great.

Pernbronze wrote:
Mcarovil wrote:
How you figure? If the game no longer favors guaranteed money, then you can offer max contracts with minimal bonus and be safe if a player retires or you want to cut them. It’s a no risk signing.

Pernbronze wrote:
This actually rarely works and requires being cap savvy. While yes it let's them be cut it can also require you to cut them from how much you have to pay them without much bonus. It's a salary cap double edged sword that requires a great deal of foresight. How often do we end up with 90m in cap space?

It still heavily favors guaranteed money. You have to give a lot more money in order for them to pick your less guaranteed contract than more which puts a lot of strain on your salary cap and may force you to choose to cut them or not be able to sign other free agents you need. It has pros and cons.