The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1980 Training Camp

By tribewriter
9/20/2018 7:52 am
RoyceR wrote:
So everything I read says once a player starts down they don't come back. I had 1 player start down and now back to even.

It is my understanding that a player's current rating may fluctuate a bit, but their potential will start in one direction and continue in one direction.

Having said that, there was a forum discussion during the last few months where JDB said he thought the potential direction could change. Everyone who answered his post said they had never seen this happen.

When AlexanDragon is referring to weight in his post, he means the actual player weight. If a player changes positions, he may gain or lose weight and his current value will rise based on his being closer to the average weight for his new position. A 260-pound LB converted to DT may rise to 285 during training camp and now is more viable at his new job.

By tribewriter
9/20/2018 7:56 am
My fourth- and fifth-round picks were both 100 VOL guys who boomed. JDB said in a post recently that we would see this happen more often in V4.3.

Last edited at 9/20/2018 7:56 am

By RoyceR
9/20/2018 8:02 am
Ok, my CB sholes max value in training camp went -1. He never changed positions and I didn't change my weights. Not sure if his personal did or not. But he is now back to even on his max. I read that forum post where he said that could happen. Just didn't know how often and if he actually has a chance on increasing.

By tribewriter
9/20/2018 8:26 am
RoyceR wrote:
Ok, my CB sholes max value in training camp went -1. He never changed positions and I didn't change my weights. Not sure if his personal did or not. But he is now back to even on his max. I read that forum post where he said that could happen. Just didn't know how often and if he actually has a chance on increasing.

That is interesting. His potential was 66.393 at creation, dropped to 66.073 by preseason game 2, then rose slightly to 66.129 by preseason game 3. His VOL is 14, so you wouldn't expect much variance. I have to admit, this is the first time I have seen potential rise, even slightly, after beginning with a downhill descent.

https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/player/4915
Last edited at 9/20/2018 8:26 am

By AlexanDragon
9/20/2018 11:49 am
RoyceR wrote:
I havent changed my weights if thats what you mean?

No. If he was lets say a wr with 207 pounds and got back to 197 (the games normal weigth for every wr) he got 1 or 2 speed+accel gained and also lost a penalty in overall rating when a player isnt the average weitgh for his position.

By RoyceR
9/20/2018 9:28 pm
Where did you find that information?

tribewriter wrote:
RoyceR wrote:

That is interesting. His potential was 66.393 at creation, dropped to 66.073 by preseason game 2, then rose slightly to 66.129 by preseason game 3. His VOL is 14, so you wouldn't expect much variance. I have to admit, this is the first time I have seen potential rise, even slightly, after beginning with a downhill descent.

https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/player/4915

By RoyceR
9/20/2018 10:27 pm
Booger926 wrote:
Another Typical Houston Gambler draft.
High picks bust double digits while bottom low picks gain

would love to see your players now. Seems like to me they may have came back a ways?

By tribewriter
9/21/2018 5:43 am
Go to the player's page and click on the Progress tab. Mouse over the lines on the graphic and you can see the real numbers at various points.

By Smirt211
9/21/2018 6:47 am
tribewriter wrote:

So my first-round pick QB busts harder than any other player in the first round (minus-19). His accuracy will never exceed 45. So, I am going to cut him and take an $8 million salary cap hit next season.

I know some of you routinely take high-vol players with early first-round picks, but I question the long-term logic of that strategy. I know this is the last time for me. This mistake is really going to set back the Georgia Force rebuilding timetable.

Maybe there's a few GMs that have broken down the science of it, however, for me....I never take an high volume player in Rounds 1 or 2. I go the most talent rich/lowest volume I can with the premium gold picks. I'm pretty sure if I dove in I could figure out what makes the high volume guy go up drastically or sink worse than the Titanic. I thought I saw the weight being a factor in it. (how close they are to the proper positional weight)

...the other thing is that more and more high volume is being thrown into the upper tier of the drafts so I totally get why you'd take the chance....!

Also, some like to gamble and roll the dice; it's risky though.

By tribewriter
9/21/2018 7:25 am
RoyceR wrote:
Booger926 wrote:
Another Typical Houston Gambler draft.
High picks bust double digits while bottom low picks gain

would love to see your players now. Seems like to me they may have came back a ways?

Here is the latest progress update on Houston's players:
Sorry, I removed that image because I was using my attribute weights instead of Booger's, so the comparison was invalid. That may be why you are seeing his numbers go up from the image he posted, because you are using your attribute weights and not his.
Last edited at 9/21/2018 7:29 am