The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Should Our League Fire Underperforming GMs?

See text from other post.

YES. The USFL/WFL should allow for the removal of underperforming GMs
NO. The USFL/WFL should NOT allow for the removal of underperforming GMs.

Re: Should Our League Fire Underperforming GMs?

By awest827
1/28/2018 1:24 pm
I think there should be a rule K) which would be the common sense rule. If the owner is active and noticeably trying, then some consideration should be taken to try and keep that owner. As Mcarovil said, lining up new owners isn't the easiest of tasks.

No worries about lining up new owners due to these rules. A big reason why I like the rule is because of the real life aspect, you don't preform you get fired. If you do get fired for nonperformance you can always get back on the waiting list and get a new team.

a) If nobody is on the waiting list nobody gets fired that year.
b) If nobody is on the waiting list and more than one GM gets fired they would just switch teams if they so choose.

I) If no one is on the waiting list each GM will retain their tenure with exception of rule G.
J) Once a GM is fired from their team they may not be hired by that same team for 3 seasons. They may be hired by another team at any time, determined by the waiting list.

By Booger926
1/28/2018 1:42 pm
mwd65 wrote:
There are some really good reasons on both sides of this discussion.

I like the idea of having a "performance" rule put in place. However, I think there should be a rule K) which would be the common sense rule. If the owner is active and noticeably trying, then some consideration should be taken to try and keep that owner. As Mcarovil said, lining up new owners isn't the easiest of tasks.

I cannot like this comment enough

By Booger926
1/28/2018 2:16 pm
awest827 wrote:
I think there should be a rule K) which would be the common sense rule. If the owner is active and noticeably trying, then some consideration should be taken to try and keep that owner. As Mcarovil said, lining up new owners isn't the easiest of tasks.

No worries about lining up new owners due to these rules. A big reason why I like the rule is because of the real life aspect, you don't preform you get fired. If you do get fired for nonperformance you can always get back on the waiting list and get a new team.

b) If nobody is on the waiting list and more than one GM gets fired they would just switch teams if they so choose.

I) If no one is on the waiting list each GM will retain their tenure with exception of rule G.
J) Once a GM is fired from their team they may not be hired by that same team for 3 seasons. They may be hired by another team at any time, determined by the waiting list.

If there were not any worries about lining up new owners, then I would not be marking the community forum League Matchmaking as "READ" every hour. ****, even the league where the idea came from, the Die-Hard League, posted just today that they need 3 new owners.

Let's face it. There really isn't a whole slew of new GM's knocking down the doors demanding to join the league(s). Keeping and retaining the core players that make the league fun and interesting, no matter their record, should be the main priority. Forcing players out only builds resentment, hard feelings and kills the desire to improve. And as active as I am in this league, even with my lousy record, I would not return if asked to even if promised to win the next three Sim-Bowls and 32 first round picks if I was kicked out.

And another point is that many Gm's play this game as relaxation and fun. Sure, having bragging rights as Champion(s) can boost one's ego, but in reality, who is going to be impressed that you have Xteen Championships in a SIMULATED computer game. By bragging about being the best of a video game only emphasizes how big of a loser you REALLY are.

By awest827
1/28/2018 2:45 pm
So what about the GMs on the waiting list who are knocking at the door trying to get in this league, but they can't get in this fun and active league because a spot never opens up. If there is nobody on the waiting list nobody gets fired, or if multiple people get fired they can switch teams if they want or stay with their team. Firing an owner would be in place in large part so new owners have a chance to get in. Also if it is that big of a deal if you get fired it will make you want to compete more so you will try harder, increasing the competition in the league. I highly doubt it will kill any desire to improve because you will be trying harder to improve since you don't want to get fired. As for bragging about championships I can't speak about that since I have never won a championship in any league lol.

By Booger926
1/28/2018 3:11 pm
awest827 wrote:
So what about the GMs on the waiting list who are knocking at the door trying to get in this league, but they can't get in this fun and active league because a spot never opens up. If there is nobody on the waiting list nobody gets fired, or if multiple people get fired they can switch teams if they want or stay with their team. Firing an owner would be in place in large part so new owners have a chance to get in. Also if it is that big of a deal if you get fired it will make you want to compete more so you will try harder, increasing the competition in the league. I highly doubt it will kill any desire to improve because you will be trying harder to improve since you don't want to get fired. As for bragging about championships I can't speak about that since I have never won a championship in any league lol.

Point/Counterpoint
There will be openings. Birmingham's owner hasn't logged on since the 7th of January, so unless he set it in advance, I doubt he will be back next season. Memphis went thru, what, three to four owners just this season alone. A highly touted and highly praised owner bolted after 4 games. My point is that a team opening should because of the owner's choice and not because of others making the choice for them.

By mwd65
1/28/2018 5:31 pm
Booger926 wrote:
awest827 wrote:

If there were not any worries about lining up new owners, then I would not be marking the community forum League Matchmaking as "READ" every hour. ****, even the league where the idea came from, the Die-Hard League, posted just today that they need 3 new owners.

Let's face it. There really isn't a whole slew of new GM's knocking down the doors demanding to join the league(s). Keeping and retaining the core players that make the league fun and interesting, no matter their record, should be the main priority. Forcing players out only builds resentment, hard feelings and kills the desire to improve. And as active as I am in this league, even with my lousy record, I would not return if asked to even if promised to win the next three Sim-Bowls and 32 first round picks if I was kicked out.

And another point is that many Gm's play this game as relaxation and fun. Sure, having bragging rights as Champion(s) can boost one's ego, but in reality, who is going to be impressed that you have Xteen Championships in a SIMULATED computer game. By bragging about being the best of a video game only emphasizes how big of a loser you REALLY are.

The bold statement above really hits home, Booger. Whenever I win a Championship, the first thing I do is go brag to my wife. Her response, and I quote, "You're such a loser!"

By Mcarovil
1/29/2018 11:44 am
My friends and family are impressed. At least that’s what they tell me.

By trslick
1/29/2018 11:57 am
Booger is so right, I have won championships and thats fine! I'm here because I'm disabled and
unable to do what I would like. Meds and machines keep me going and it is no fun not being
able to work or enjoy life as I once did! I found MFN and now have something to do until its time
to move on!

By tribewriter
1/29/2018 1:41 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:
With wolveraider, smirt & pern in my division i can only say goodbye in advance then

Don't worry. This is a preliminary discussion, not a referendum.

By AlexanDragon
1/29/2018 2:54 pm
tribewriter wrote:
AlexanDragon wrote:
With wolveraider, smirt & pern in my division i can only say goodbye in advance then

Don't worry. This is a preliminary discussion, not a referendum.

I know i know. i wasnt serious anyway. And those 3 guys wont stand a chance soon!