The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Should Our League Fire Underperforming GMs?

See text from other post.

YES. The USFL/WFL should allow for the removal of underperforming GMs
NO. The USFL/WFL should NOT allow for the removal of underperforming GMs.

Re: Should Our League Fire Underperforming GMs?

By Booger926
1/26/2018 4:22 am
Just look how hard it was for you to win in your division going against PDoug and the Commish 2x each
Just saying

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/26/2018 6:12 am
Booger926 wrote:
Just look how hard it was for you to win in your division going against PDoug and the Commish 2x each
Just saying

I know about tough divisions, the toughest one I've seen is the NFC South in this league https://mfn48.myfootballnow.com/.

Four straight years we have sent 3 teams to the playoffs and we pretty much only lose to each other, right Pernbronze?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/26/2018 6:15 am
There are 10 non divisional games each year, so even if someone gets beat down in a division of death, all they gotta do is be 5-5 or 6-4 once in 3 years to not get fired.

By Mcarovil
1/26/2018 8:23 am
You need new GMs in the queue first of all. Not sure given the number of private leagues how much of a GM pool there is to recruit from. If a current GM is trying, IE gameplanning, signing players and hopefully interacting in the forums I dont care what their record is.

By tribewriter
1/26/2018 8:40 am
Mcarovil wrote:
You need new GMs in the queue first of all. Not sure given the number of private leagues how much of a GM pool there is to recruit from. If a current GM is trying, IE gameplanning, signing players and hopefully interacting in the forums I dont care what their record is.

Yes, and it's up to the commissioner to check teams and see if someone is ignoring their team and has quit trying. I attempt to be diligent about that. I notice a lot of user-created leagues where the "commissioner's" attitude is set-it-and-forget-it.

By awest827
1/26/2018 10:06 am
A big reason why we did this in paydirt was to make it more like real life. If you don't preform in RL you get fired. I think it in unanimous in MFN that we want to try to make it as much like RL as possible, this adds the aspect of the pressure in RL to do well or get fired.

a) If nobody is on the waiting list nobody gets fired that year.
b) If nobody is on the waiting list and more than one GM gets fired they would just switch teams if they so choose.
c) Once fired, you can't be hired back by your same team for 3 seasons after being fired.
d) Then if everything falls into place like the team being open and nobody is on the waiting list.

It's all in good fun to make it feel a lil more real to GM a team. It's not as harsh as the Title sounds. Nobody is gonna hate ya if ya get fired. Except maybe the dot fan base. lol

These are also rules that went along with this in Paydirt, our hiring and firing system went hand in hand with the waiting list if we do decide to do this system we might want to consider starting a waiting list as well.

By tribewriter
1/26/2018 11:21 am
We actually have had a waiting list, but I just don't post it publicly. I have a vetting process for potential new owners, and I don't want to embarrass those who don't qualify for one reason or another. I should note, that list is rarely more than one or two deep.
Last edited at 1/26/2018 11:21 am

By punisher
1/26/2018 11:37 am
tribewriter wrote:
The only owners I have removed during the USFL/WFL's three seasons have been those who totally ignored their team. Another user-owned league, Paydirt, has a system for removing owners/GMs for under-performance. Their guidelines are below. I have not previously considered doing this. But, in the quest for competitive balance, it may be something we want to consider.

Hiring and Firing of GM's
A) If they have a winless season.
B) If they have 3 consecutive seasons with less than 5 wins
C) If they have 4 consecutive seasons with less than 7 wins
D) If they have 5 consecutive seasons under .500
E) If they have 6 consecutive seasons not making the playoffs
F) If a GM takes over a playoff team and miss the playoffs for 3 consecutive seasons.
G) 3 league conduct violations.
H) No GM can be fired in their first 3 seasons with exception of rule 4.
I) If no one is on the waiting list each GM will retain their tenure with exception of rule G.
J) Once a GM is fired from their team they may not be hired by that same team for 3 seasons. They may be hired by another team at any time, determined by the waiting list.

here is that thread from paydirt = https://paydirt.myfootballnow.com/forums/4/156?page=1#1136

By AlexanDragon
1/27/2018 1:09 pm
With wolveraider, smirt & pern in my division i can only say goodbye in advance then

By mwd65
1/28/2018 9:29 am
There are some really good reasons on both sides of this discussion.

I like the idea of having a "performance" rule put in place. However, I think there should be a rule K) which would be the common sense rule. If the owner is active and noticeably trying, then some consideration should be taken to try and keep that owner. As Mcarovil said, lining up new owners isn't the easiest of tasks.