The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Should Our League Fire Underperforming GMs?

See text from other post.

YES. The USFL/WFL should allow for the removal of underperforming GMs
NO. The USFL/WFL should NOT allow for the removal of underperforming GMs.

Re: Should Our League Fire Underperforming GMs?

By tribewriter
1/25/2018 4:49 pm
The only owners I have removed during the USFL/WFL's three seasons have been those who totally ignored their team. Another user-owned league, Paydirt, has a system for removing owners/GMs for under-performance. Their guidelines are below. I have not previously considered doing this. But, in the quest for competitive balance, it may be something we want to consider.

Hiring and Firing of GM's
A) If they have a winless season.
B) If they have 3 consecutive seasons with less than 5 wins
C) If they have 4 consecutive seasons with less than 7 wins
D) If they have 5 consecutive seasons under .500
E) If they have 6 consecutive seasons not making the playoffs
F) If a GM takes over a playoff team and miss the playoffs for 3 consecutive seasons.
G) 3 league conduct violations.
H) No GM can be fired in their first 3 seasons with exception of rule 4.
I) If no one is on the waiting list each GM will retain their tenure with exception of rule G.
J) Once a GM is fired from their team they may not be hired by that same team for 3 seasons. They may be hired by another team at any time, determined by the waiting list.

By tribewriter
1/25/2018 4:52 pm
I see advantages and disadvantages.
The primary advantage is in maintaining competitive balance, so that a struggling franchise isn't handicapped forever by an inept GM. And it discourages tanking.
The disadvantages I see are that we have always been "noob-friendly," which means we give time for new GMs to learn the game. And, I have to hunt a replacement GM, which requires time, effort, and advertisement.
Don't read too much into this. I believe every current GM in this league is attempting to improve their team. Nobody is tanking. I just saw this on Paydirt and wondered if there is some long-term wisdom to it.
Last edited at 1/25/2018 4:53 pm

By Pernbronze
1/25/2018 6:37 pm
Accepting noobs is fine as long as they put in the effort.

By awest827
1/25/2018 9:15 pm
I will say I love this system in Paydirt it has become my favorite league in part because of this. This rule adds an extra motivation to do well. I was the first owner to really be on the hot seat and I turned my team around from one of the worst to one of the best in one season in part because I didn't want to get fired, so I put a lot of effort into it.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/25/2018 10:25 pm
H) No GM can be fired in their first 3 seasons with exception of rule 4.

What is rule 4?

By Booger926
1/25/2018 10:50 pm
I think inactivity, not logging on for some time, should have more merit than win-loss record.

By awest827
1/26/2018 12:27 am
GM Hot Seat
1) GM's could get fired for under-performing , a winless season or for league conduct violations.
2) Once fired they would go to the back of the waiting list.
3) No more than 3 GM's can be fired in a given season. And at least one if there is someone on the waiting list.
4) New GM's can't be fired in their first 3 seasons unless they have 2 winless seasons in that time frame or have 3 league conduct violations.

2, and 3 don't really apply unless we had a waiting list, but there is rule 4.

1/26/2018 3:37 am
awest827 wrote:
GM Hot Seat
1) GM's could get fired for under-performing , a winless season or for league conduct violations.
2) Once fired they would go to the back of the waiting list.
3) No more than 3 GM's can be fired in a given season. And at least one if there is someone on the waiting list.
4) New GM's can't be fired in their first 3 seasons unless they have 2 winless seasons in that time frame or have 3 league conduct violations.

2, and 3 don't really apply unless we had a waiting list, but there is rule 4.

Thanks

1/26/2018 3:39 am
I voted yes after seeing rule 4. If newbies can't avoid getting fired despite all the free advice available in this league, then they need to be replaced imo.

By Booger926
1/26/2018 4:14 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
I voted yes after seeing rule 4. If newbies can't avoid getting fired despite all the free advice available in this league, then they need to be replaced imo.

But your forgetting who they are going against. Take the NCSW for example. Mac, Seth, and Kev. All extremely great GM's that at best one can hope for is 3-3 against them. By the time one learns how to beat them to have a decent record, we would be kicking them out. IMO
Last edited at 1/26/2018 4:18 am