The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Ideas to beat a limited playbook?

By Smirt211
8/22/2020 11:04 am
If you isolated it and told me that 4343 would not deviate I could sit down and destroy him. But with this being so out in the open and with drama it's clouded. I couldn't see him standing firm.

I think it was when you mentioned 4343's Title Game appearances ...it was a Seth game vs. him I pulled up and said ah ok....I seen how Seth ran on it and through other games I've seen what passes to implement. We'll see what happens.

If he gets dented up, he'll shift off it some. If it dominates, he'll stick with it and I'll need to hone in 100% and destroy it to put an end to it.

By Cjfred68
8/22/2020 11:22 am
100% Transparency.....4343 has been using this defense and the 46 heavy going on 3 seasons now. Seth didn't start using the 46 heavy until week 4,5 of last season when he changed coaches.

By Smirt211
8/22/2020 11:24 am
Yeah, when you made your title game appearances comment I flashed on a title game in Champions the other day and saw it streaming then.

It's still basic vs. what Setherick got out of it.

By setherick
8/22/2020 2:46 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
100% Transparency.....4343 has been using this defense and the 46 heavy going on 3 seasons now. Seth didn't start using the 46 heavy until week 4,5 of last season when he changed coaches.

I was using it in Champions and Paydirt before that as a rotational play. That's why I made the switch. I thought McKeon would be a 25 sack guy in that system. Boy was I wrong.

I moved to it because I was struggling with finding a good hitch defense in the playbook I was using. I'm probably moving off of this playbook at the end of the season to an alternate one that has more of the 4-3 blitzes.
Last edited at 8/22/2020 2:51 pm

By Cjfred68
8/22/2020 3:12 pm
My point is.....its beatable and has been beaten....instituting a rule about it isn't something we need to do.

I like the rules for punt blocking and defensive lineman because it makes the physical size of the player at certain positions more relevant.

I like the rule for choosing a player to play on offense or defense. You wanna CB playing RB....or WR playing CB.....move them to that position and let em play.

But when start tinkering with how to make a gameplan, how many pkays need to be called and what rules we can use....its a slippery slope.

You can very well select 25 offensive plays but only use 13 in a game and select 15 defensive plays and only use 6 in a game. Defense even more so then offense since rules can funnel to a few plays based on the offense the opponent is using.

I like making rules to address extremes in the game.

41 punt blocks in a season

70 sacks in a season

WR leading the league in INTs.

Not because someone is hard to beat!

4343 has lose 8 games over the last 2 1/2 seasons.

I've lost 7, Infinity has lost 8, Smirt has lose 10 and Setherick has lose 10 over the same time frame.

Should our gameplans be banned because they are successful? Have fun banning mine since I pick plays at random and cross my fingers. Should Seth be banned from his Squirrel?

Rules that are clear and transparent can work...anyone can see if they are violated easily.

Establishing rules on gameplanning is pretty much impossible to police and then the question becomes where is the line....

YOU MUST CALL 10 DEFENSIVE PLAYS

OK. I select 20 to be safe but a couple of my rules funnell to a few plays because I go up big in the 1st quarter and I'm playing prevent the rest of the game.....turns out I only used 7 plays total....NOW WHAT?

By setherick
8/22/2020 3:14 pm
Can we not bring up the 8-8 quarantine season? I had bigger things to worry about during that time.

By Cjfred68
8/22/2020 3:37 pm
setherick wrote:
Can we not bring up the 8-8 quarantine season? I had bigger things to worry about during that time.

There you go, Seth lost 2 games the last 1 1/2 seasons....should his gameplans be banned?

I dont know 2% of what Seth knows but I've manged a nice level of success in this game....yeah its a game. I dont watch film all that much, don't pay attention to spacing or even my opponent much of the time.

I set up my gameplan to do what my team does best and roll the dice, its worked for me in the past.

I didn't join MFN to become a master gameplanner, I just wanted to be a GM and put my team together and give em a chance to win.

I just dont think a rule here is needed
Last edited at 8/22/2020 3:37 pm

By Smirt211
8/22/2020 4:04 pm
I'll just break it down to a quick couple sentences: I don't think 4343 is anywhere on Seth, Infinity, yours and my level.

I think he's short-cutting to wins without a clue beyond keeping his defensive plays as taut as possible; which masks putting together a deep concept on both sides of the ball.

By Cjfred68
8/22/2020 5:09 pm
Yeah, I agree he is using short cuts to win and not playing this game in the spirit it was intended.

The problem is....he isnt the only owner using short cuts to gain an advantage by playing this game not in the spirit of its original design.

By CrazyRazor
8/22/2020 5:22 pm
You guys can't see the forest coz of the **** trees.

This is NOT about one play. This is about the ratios between how many plays are used by one GM as opposed to another. If a guy gameplans 5 plays all game, and there are 45 plays by the opposing offense; What are the chances of him hitting his play?
If a guy gameplans 15 plays all game, and he runs 45 plays; What are the chances of him hitting his play? There's a HUGE difference.

It's about the chances of a mismatch. It's about being in the wrong coverage. You can't be in the wrong coverage, if you only gameplans 5 plays! You can he in the wrong coverage, if you gameplan 15 plays, though!