The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Ideas to beat a limited playbook?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/21/2020 12:41 pm
We still need to get votes from half the league https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/1/1726?page=1 on whether we will force a minimum number of plays.

In the discussion, it's looking like this will be an unenforceable rule so we need to find ways to beat a 2 trick defensive pony. If we truly want to get rid of this, I think this might be the best way to do it...list ways to beat it so everyone has the blueprint, and once those 2 trick teams start losing games, things will change.

Unfortunately, I don't have any sure fire ways, just theories.

Re: Ideas to beat a limited playbook?

By Smirt211
8/21/2020 3:11 pm
Well, I might face him in the playoffs (and I've started to research what plays to use) but if I depict them he'll be apt to move off the 2 plays or vary based on what I enlist.

I can kick out the one idea I'd implement for the regular season now back 2 games ago with the viewpoint I have now...

If I was a current team to face him I'd sacrifice a game to destroy his defensive line. The entire game I'd run into his line every single play to rack up injuries and dent him moving forward. I'm only detailing it because now I won't do it in the playoffs (I don't think)

I'd run right at where that blitz comes on that dope-y play for the entire game with several plays, 2 I can think of in particular. Bang, bang, bang, bang.

By Cjfred68
8/21/2020 5:44 pm
I'm wrong
Last edited at 8/21/2020 9:08 pm

By Cjfred68
8/21/2020 6:08 pm
Ask Seth
Last edited at 8/21/2020 9:09 pm

By setherick
8/21/2020 7:40 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
But the key is balance...don't pass out of the 212 with 7 different short & medium passes and only have 1 or 2 runs out of that set. Make it 7 &7 or 5&5.

This is definitely wrong. The 212 set has a lot of passing plays in it that beat cover 2 defenses regardless of defensive formation. I'm going to let all you game planners out there figure them out.

The actual beauty in simplicity of 4343's game plan is the mix of FZ and 46. The FZ beats many plays that the 46 fails against, and the 46 beats many plays at the FZ fails against.

I wish I could take credit for designing it, but I didn't.

UPDATE: Also, don't look at my game plans against him in this league or Champions because they were largely garbage. I think if I played an all 46 team now, I could probably put up 300-400 yards passing against it.
Last edited at 8/21/2020 7:42 pm

By Cjfred68
8/21/2020 8:28 pm
Me only win cause me lucky
Last edited at 8/21/2020 9:11 pm

By setherick
8/22/2020 9:24 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
Me only win cause me lucky

The point I'm making above is that y'all need to step back a minute and consider the two different and competing arguments about the 46 Heavy from the past two seasons.

Last season, the argument was "this play is just a gimmicky exploit play because you put a fast LB at DE and the OL can't keep up." And this was, and is, mostly true. An 89/89 LB embarrasses the pants off of my OL, which leads to a lot of sacks.

So the McKeon rule came about and everyone said, "this will end this silly gimmicky play that only works because the LB embarrasses the pants off the OL." Except it didn't.

This season the argument is that no one should overuse the play because I can't win.

The reason that the 46 Heavy defense destroys most teams is because it destroys most of the common offensive plays that people like to use. The reason that it does this this is because of defensive spacing because it's NOT actually a COVER 2 play:

1) The SS runs a shallow zone. That means a SS with good Zone and decent SP can cover the right hash, 10 yards in. This negates or contains the following types of plays: 212 backside slant, 203 backside slants, and 113 inside slants. (That is the majority of some people's offenses: FL Hitch, Hard Slants, Skinny Posts, PA Fullback Flat, HB Flare.)

2) The FS plays as a single high safety 15 yards back. This means a fast FS contains the entire field. So your opponent cannot break off big plays down the field. You know what else having a single high safety on the left does? It completely contains the backside wheel routes for RBs. (That's the rest of the common playbook: FL Post, Slot Out, HB Flare, the 212 split back plays.)

3) The defensive front and two down LBs mean that it's really difficult to run against except for a few places where it is weak. (You can figure these out.)

So if you want to know how to beat a play, any play, look at the spacing and try to figure out where the gap is. The more I think about it, the more I'm shocked how effective the 46 Heavy continues to be for me and others with the DE rule in place. I would have thought that more people would be beating it by now.
Last edited at 8/22/2020 9:32 am

By Cjfred68
8/22/2020 10:26 am
So you scout the opponents defensive plays used and use offensive plays that work against those defensive plays?

Go figure!

By Smirt211
8/22/2020 10:48 am
I went through an entire era in v4.3 up through learning v4.5 when things were difficult to pick out a defensive play or two and I'd map my offensive attack vs. it. v4.5 has stabilized and we know how to get around it. @ 6-0 and in the middle of the season and not proved to me yet what was going to happen - I wasn't doing time spent to disrupt my offense. Now it's a shell game. He and the strategy has my attention but he knows it has my attention so do I vary, how much do I vary and what will I vary into and how much will he vary. All sorts of chess moves now.

In a vacuum, though, yeah. You pull up the defensive play and look for the holes/areas to exploit against it. I've seen what works but what will I do. Stay tuned....

Last edited at 8/22/2020 10:48 am

By Cjfred68
8/22/2020 10:57 am
Well Seth plays 4343 in the next round of the Champions League playoffs and 4343 uses the exact same defense in that league as well.

Let's see if Seth shows us the blueprint!