The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Out of Position Players

Should players be allowed to play out of position?

Yes, always
No
Only for injury replacement

Re: Out of Position Players

By Hellbringer
6/22/2020 1:23 pm
No. Speed is too rare in my opinion to limit that player.

By RoyceR
6/22/2020 1:59 pm
I'm going to wait for more conversation to vote.

Personally I like playing players at their position. But that's my preference so I will wait for now.

By Mcarovil
6/22/2020 3:08 pm
I agree with Infinity with the one level position change. I don’t think its a killer. CB on the DL has shown to be impactful. WR at CB the same. Not that I like the WR at RB, but you can compete with that by GP. The others are not so easily reigned in by GP. Speed kills in MFN. Stop trying to compare it to RL football. It’s not even close for these discussions.

Infinity on Trial wrote:
I'm abstaining from vote because I feel like the right balance is something that can't be easily reviewed and enforced. I would guess that most of us our fine, for example, with a one-level position change (DB at LB or LB at DE), interchanging RB/WR or S/CB or C/G/T, moving DL to LB, converting a TE to OL, and using a CB at RB.

However, using a WR on defense purely because of a loophole in code that produces interceptions is Grade A bullshit, and I oppose using a DB on the DL.

EDIT: Removing my point about weight because seth beat me to it.

By Cjfred68
6/22/2020 4:15 pm
It is what it is....I can't make an informed decision until I face Seth

By setherick
6/22/2020 4:22 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:

If you're running the same game plan as champions, then my game plan will be lighter on the 46 than against other teams.

Your team necessitates a lot of Dime Double WR1 against the 113 set because you love HB Flare (at least in Champions where you were throwing a lot more). In this league, you'll definitely see more 46 against the 212 since I don't have the FZ in my playbook.

By Cjfred68
6/22/2020 4:33 pm
setherick wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:

If you're running the same game plan as champions, then my game plan will be lighter on the 46 than against other teams.

Your team necessitates a lot of Dime Double WR1 against the 113 set because you love HB Flare (at least in Champions where you were throwing a lot more). In this league, you'll definitely see more 46 against the 212 since I don't have the FZ in my playbook.

I told you before I dont actively gameplan in Champions but until I play you here....I can't have an informed opinion. I'm not gonna do anything different against you....I dont care what team I'm playing or what defense they run....I just call my offense....takes about 1 minute

By AlexanDragon
6/22/2020 6:36 pm
Wr-Rb-Fb-Te no trouble to me
Te-OL no trouble
DL-LB no trouble
LB-DB no trouble

Wr->Db huge trouble to me
DB->DL huge trouble to me
Exploits huge trouble to me

By setherick
6/22/2020 6:53 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:

Exploits huge trouble to me

Absolutely this. This is why I spent so much time figuring out exactly how to get the 46 Heavy to work. I knew for months that it put pressure on the QB in the key plays that offensive game planners love to use - TE Middle, Waggle, Max Protect, HB Flare, etc. - that put the RB in space against (usually) a slower defender and pull the rest of the coverage downfield. On a guess, and because I normally rotate LBs to the DE in pass situations, I rotated McKeon into position and, boom!, the debate over the 46 began.

I want to note that IoT has been using the 46 effectively with DEs for all of his LCs in this league. It was looking at his data and film that finally sparked the idea for me about McKeon in the DE spot.

The bigger advantage to the defense is that the 46 does so well against the ultimate broken offensive play: the FL Hitch. It gives up some yardage, but it largely holds teams in check that use it - and I recorded the 2nd sack in my database against the Hitch using the 46. Seriously, the play is so broken that only two defenses really slow it down that I've found, and none routinely put pressure on it.

So I went into this experiment trying to shut down exploits (in the traditional sense of pull the coverage and the MFN sense of this play is broken), and stumbled into a debate over another one. I didn't really expect to have 50+ sacks with a player, but here we are. I know the 46 can be beaten. I've given you all the plays to do it.

By Mcarovil
6/22/2020 6:58 pm
So you think it’s so much the 46 and the LB at DE or your opponents running terrible long pass plays?

We played earlier this season and you beat us by 7 or 10 but no sacks given up. Did you implement this after we played? Curiosity killed the cat.

By setherick
6/22/2020 7:01 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
So you think it’s so much the 46 and the LB at DE or your opponents running terrible long pass plays?

We played earlier this season and you beat us by 7 or 10 but no sacks given up. Did you implement this after we played? Curiosity killed the cat.

I implemented it because of our game, and my other first two games. Seriously, I switched coaches for game 4 because I knew my defense was in trouble without a viable Hitch defense. (Not saying you used the Hitch a lot, saying that I was looking at my defense giving up points and wondering how I stop the Freds and IoTs of this league.)

What was shocking was how many sacks it produced in the first game against AD with no PK or really efficient game planning.

---

1989 1989 Midweek 4
Albert Santo
Signed contract with Storm ($176,097,450, 6 yrs)

1989 1989 Midweek 4
Edmond Saenz
Fired by Storm
Last edited at 6/22/2020 7:03 pm