The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Out of Position Players

Should players be allowed to play out of position?

Yes, always
No
Only for injury replacement

Re: Out of Position Players

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
6/22/2020 11:58 am
It's time to see what the league thinks. If change wins the vote, it takes effect next season. Right now we have a LB playing DE that can't be blocked and a WR among the league leaders in INT. We have WR playing RB all across the league, and who knows what else.

Honestly, I feel this is a JDB issue, but since it's unlikely he will help, what do you guys think?

One thing to think about is depth. If we make a new rule that you have to play your position, depth could be a problem. I use LB as DE depth when injuries hit, and DB's as LB depth, but a new rule could prevent that.

Another thing to think about is, if we make a new rule, we also must agree on what to do if someone violates the rule.

By setherick
6/22/2020 12:21 pm
To be clear, I don't know how much of a difference a 84/84 SP/AC DE (if I drop McKeon down to DE) is going to make over a 89/89 SP/AC LB. But if we're going to make this rule, I'd rather make the adjustment now so he's at weight by the start of next year.

Also, "out of position" doesn't matter as much as "at average weight" since too much of the game is SP vs SP.

6/22/2020 12:23 pm
It's not all about McKeon, but he is the poster boy. I mainly want to see what the league thinks in general about doing this.

By Infinity on Trial
6/22/2020 12:26 pm
I'm abstaining from vote because I feel like the right balance is something that can't be easily reviewed and enforced. I would guess that most of us our fine, for example, with a one-level position change (DB at LB or LB at DE), interchanging RB/WR or S/CB or C/G/T, moving DL to LB, converting a TE to OL, and using a CB at RB.

However, using a WR on defense purely because of a loophole in code that produces interceptions is Grade A bullshit, and I oppose using a DB on the DL.

EDIT: Removing my point about weight because seth beat me to it.
Last edited at 6/22/2020 12:27 pm

By Dogboyuk75
6/22/2020 12:30 pm
I’ve voted no this is no slant on the guys that use these as they are legal at the moment but I’m firm believer in playing people in correct positions.
Let’s face facts after McKeon and Socrates success more guys will follow the blueprint for success if allowed which will devalue players at actual position.
If we had a minimum roster requirement for each position then behind that out of position players can slide in for depth.i think if we all had to fill our rosters with 35/40 players at certain position Then behind that we have flexibility to fill out depth how we wanted.

6/22/2020 12:32 pm
What about the many WR that actually are RB? There are far more WR doing that than playing DB. That goes away too, if everyone votes no.

By Infinity on Trial
6/22/2020 12:36 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
What about the many WR that actually are RB? There are far more WR doing that than playing DB. That goes away too, if everyone votes no.

Hence my comment above — WR/RB, S/CB and C/G/T are obvious ones. I failed to include TE/FB (and using a RB at TE/FB).

These are the better questions to ask:

Should there be a weight limit on DL? If so, what should that weight be.

Should offensive players be banned from playing defense (or switching positions to defense)?

By Dogboyuk75
6/22/2020 12:49 pm
Following on from Infinity’s post and I don’t wanna just cloud this conversation but agree with interchangeable positions like flipping eg safeties interchangeable ,SLB snd WLB ,oline .but when we talk about Lbs playing as DE or S as a LB I think we should consider weight criteria eg LB wants to play De then he’s gotta weigh 260 or safety wanna play LB he’s gotta weigh 220 but realise this might just cloud the can they play oop discussion

By Dogboyuk75
6/22/2020 12:52 pm
If guys wanna use there WR at RB then position change them imo

By hollyhh2000
6/22/2020 1:21 pm
Switching players imo is all gameplanning and should be allowed.
as we have seen in the Punt Rush discussion, I am wary and would allow just one position group (i.e a DB can play at any LB position, but not on the line)

Speed rushers play DE in the NFL on obvious passing downs.
WRs are often used as rushers or receivers out of the backfield.

getting your WR run a wheel route out of the backfield to put pressure on the opposing LBs is good gameplanning and not an exploit.
Dialing up an allout blitz with a 90+ speed db coming from the MLB spot is great defensive gameplanning to counter that.