The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1984 Playoffs

By greyghost1225
8/05/2019 1:09 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
This definately falls under...."Be careful what you wish for". My first season in the league taking over a very good team built by Setherick and maintained well by OffensiveTaco. My main contribution has been retooling the secondary by drafting a cornerback, strong safety and free safety. I added some additional depth at RB and Oline.

I wanted a shot at Raidergreg and his Generals who are making their 5th trip to the League Championship game. Well I got it and must face off minus my best playmaker. Good luck Greg, I will give you my best.

Its sorta ironic that I'm in the title game with the team Booger started and ran for 6 seasons. He never finished above .500 or made the playoffs but now Houston has made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons under 3 different owners.

Yeah, we don't mention the B------- word in this league. :)

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/05/2019 1:24 pm
Good game Baltimore, your defense did a pretty good job bottling up the run except for a couple long runs and your offense moved the ball well. If it wasn't for turnovers, I'd be wishing you luck against Houston.

Speaking of turnovers, the Generals have a knack for winning games they're outplayed. This 1984 version of the Generals might be my favorite as they've overcome a lot just to get here. Everyone knows about our RB issues during the regular season but Rudi Johnson delivers in big games. He is by far the leading post season rusher in USFL history.

We also had to play the wildcard round, so I hope my old team can **** it up for 1 more game.

8/05/2019 1:34 pm
greyghost1225 wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:
This definately falls under...."Be careful what you wish for". My first season in the league taking over a very good team built by Setherick and maintained well by OffensiveTaco. My main contribution has been retooling the secondary by drafting a cornerback, strong safety and free safety. I added some additional depth at RB and Oline.

I wanted a shot at Raidergreg and his Generals who are making their 5th trip to the League Championship game. Well I got it and must face off minus my best playmaker. Good luck Greg, I will give you my best.

Its sorta ironic that I'm in the title game with the team Booger started and ran for 6 seasons. He never finished above .500 or made the playoffs but now Houston has made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons under 3 different owners.

Yeah, we don't mention the B------- word in this league. :)

What about Duval? I hope he sees that I beat his old team but if he was still here, would I have even played him?

I didn't say anything before the CC games because last time we discussed meeting in the finals (CUST 79), we both lost our playoff games. Now that it's over, I'm glad I'm facing you.

Not that I had a preference, hadn't thought much about possible opponents. Too worried about trying to get back to the World Bowl against anyone.

The Generals have some bad blood with the Houston franchise under previous ownership, and not just Booger. When we lost the World Bowl to Setherick's version of the Gamblers, his players didn't even shake our hands after the game. In the media (forums) he didn't even acknowledge his win, or offer me a simple GG Generals.

We realize the Gamblers are under new ownership, but when we hit the field, the sight of those jerseys are going to fire up the old Generals who were around then.

It should be a good, competitive game and I'm looking forward to it. None of my MFN teams have ever won back to back titles, nor have I won more than 2 in any league so I have a couple of dangling carrots for me.

Good luck CJ!

By greyghost1225
8/05/2019 2:16 pm
now CJ, just because you are going to the Championship that doesn't mean you get to make your own rules. This league went through a difficult when B-------- was in the league when he cut his entire roster. It was miserable. We don't like that name in these parts.

By Mcarovil
8/06/2019 6:53 am
Very excited to see how this game plays out. Gamblers explosive offense against the Generals dominate Defensive. Classic matchup. I’ve actually taken the time to go and review both teams games this year. Can Terry Dean crack this Generals Defense. That is the question!!Good luck guys!
Last edited at 8/06/2019 6:54 am

8/06/2019 11:47 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
Very excited to see how this game plays out. Gamblers explosive offense against the Generals dominate Defensive. Classic matchup. I’ve actually taken the time to go and review both teams games this year. Can Terry Dean crack this Generals Defense. That is the question!!Good luck guys!

You're more excited than I am right now, I'm ticked off. No excuses as I will be doing my normal game planning but I won't be watching the game. I've mostly just been clicking results the last couple months anyway but these injuries and turnovers have got me ready to go Smirt on MFN.

I'm at the point where I literally cringe anytime I check any of my teams after a game, afraid of seeing several questionables with some doubtful and out sprinkled in. It already takes a lot of time to game plan for all my teams, now I have to spend the midweek sims scouring the free agents looking for some piece of **** to fill out my roster with.

It's not just this particular team, it's pretty much ALL of them. Some have OL cluster injuries, some DL, etc.

If it's not injuries, it's losing games even though you double or triple your opponents yardage because of silly turnovers and missed FG's.

Yeah, yeah I know this stuff happens, but it's supposed to be an outlier not the norm.

I'm not going to call out any names but the Realism Police can kiss my you know what. They have sucked all the joy out of this game with this realism.

What's next in MFN, players getting randomly suspended for failing a drug test?

Gotta love angry game planning. I don't even know if I'll get around to XFL, why bother.

8/06/2019 11:52 pm
Good luck to CJfred. If Houston wins, it's because they played better. I got my thoughts off my mind so now I can do my normal planning. I really want to win this game, but I'm not in a celebrating mood.

8/07/2019 12:23 am
Done game planning, back to the ranting. My biggest issue is time because it's almost impossible to do anything MFN related while working because my only down time is behind the wheel of my car.

Thought I was going to have a "light" MFN day before work tomorrow but I now have extra work to do because of all the injuries.

People complain there are not many new MFN players, so we need obsessive types that are willing to run 12 teams to keep the existing leagues going. If these injuries keep up at their current pace, I'll have to drop some teams to compensate for that extra time. It won't be this team, can't get rid of me that easily.

I'm just frustrated by some of the same things Smirt and others are annoyed by and needed to get it off my chest.

By Cjfred68
8/07/2019 12:47 am
It's hard to find the right balance. I enjoy the game but have cut down on my teams. I maxed out at 28ish and I'm down to 16 with plans to get it to 10 to 12.

Enjoyment can be diminished if you feel overwhelmed and let's face it, this game is an everyday commitment.

Good luck tonight Greg. I too want to win but win or lose it's been fun. Love the league and plan on sticking around.

8/07/2019 12:48 am
Fantasy football is coming too and I need time to research that, as I need to get back in the $$$ in my work league.