The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1984 Playoffs

By Wolveraider
8/02/2019 6:13 pm
Good game Stars/4343.....that was rough....after my QB threw his 3rd int. late in the third quarter, I had pretty much resigned to the fact that we were probably going to lose the game, it was disappointing, but I was okay...I mean hard to beat a good, well coached team and throw three picks.

And then we go on this gut wrenching 15 play, 84 yard drive to get the go ahead score and only leave 15 seconds on the clock and then (unbelievable, didn't think the offense could pull it off against your defense. Hope!) and then.........Poof! Gone with one pass play as time runs out....just made the loss soooo much worse.

But props to you, your team is playing tough,good game plan, you're on a roll....Good luck the rest of the way!

By Wolveraider
8/02/2019 6:20 pm
tribewriter wrote:
Divisional Round
Birmingham was in a normal 4-3 blitzing defense instead of a prevent or dime, plus they were penalized for defensive overuse. Stars WR Jonathan Coffey sprinted behind the secondary for an 89-yard touchdown as time expired (Baltimore added a 2-point conversion after time had expired, just to rub it in).

I have to take a serious look at my rules, we definitely shouldn't have been in that defense at this point in the game....I'm sure I have a rule that should have me in the dime or prevent, but I have added rules here and there for specific situations, so I don't know if I have one that took precedence over another....but I looked through the game log and saw a few calls that had me scratching my head....might explain why we were near the bottom of the league in pass defense as well.
Last edited at 8/02/2019 6:24 pm

By tribewriter
8/02/2019 7:47 pm
I use a lot of rules. My unfortunate experience has been that I don't realize that they are conflicting until after something catastrophic has already occurred.
Last edited at 8/02/2019 7:47 pm

By Cjfred68
8/03/2019 1:33 pm
trslick wrote:
GG Cj, we played very bad!

Thanks Slick...trust me I've been there in big games and watched my team play a bad game....its frustrating

By Cjfred68
8/04/2019 2:11 am
Well I took over a great team and was able to add to it via free agency and the draft. So knowing I walked into a great setup, I made my intentions known that I was shooting for a League Championship matchup against Raidergreg and his great team.

With both of us in the Conference Championship game, that possibility may yet become a reality but I believe both of us have a great test ahead of us to reach that matchup. At least on my end, facing eyeball and the Wheels will be a difficult game.

Good luck to all in the Conference Championship games, may the best teams win. Regardless of the outcomes, this is a fun and highly competitive league.

By eyeballll
8/04/2019 3:00 pm
Good Game, Dragon! I feel lucky to have held on to the win, you guys gave us everything we could handle! No easy games at this point...

By tribewriter
8/05/2019 6:14 am
The New Jersey Generals are lined up for their third World Bowl championship in four years, but the road to that title goes through the only team to beat them in the title game over the last three seasons.

The Houston Gamblers snapped Detroit's 15-game win streak, 36-17, to earn a spot opposite New Jersey in World Bowl XI. The teams also squared off in World Bowl IX, with Houston winning, 37-20. New Jersey earned its spot in the title game by edging the Baltimore Stars, 19-17.

A 26-yard field goal by New Jersey K Lucio Grant early in the fourth quarter accounted for all of the second-half scoring in the game against Baltimore. The Stars were getting set to kick the potential game-winning field goal late in the game, with a first down and the ball at the New Jersey 29 and 3:30 to play, but Bruce Dickinson intercepted a Jon Snow pass. When the Stars finally got the ball back, they were pinned down at their own 2-yard line and that final possession was soon snuffed out.

Houston's defense forced 10 Detroit turnovers, including nine interceptions and those turnovers meant Houston began seven offensive drives inside Detroit territory. Rookie CB John Rogers had five of those interceptions. The Wheels' QBs were a combined 20-for-58 passing. The Gamblers led, 27-10, at halftime and never looked back. Gamblers QB Tony Dean fired three TD passes.

Houston's victory over Detroit was a costly one, as star RB Mark Lambert suffered a foot injury that will leave him at only 32 percent effectiveness for the World Bowl. WLB Edward Mayberry and CB Robert Sokol will also sit out the World Bowl. New Jersey will be without two of the league's best offensive linemen, RG Steve Niehaus and RT Elvis Presley, as well as RDE Carlos Zambrano.

New Jersey has won two of its three regular-season games against the Gamblers, including a 32-30 decision in 1983. MFN has the Generals as a 1-point favorite in the World Bowl.

By eyeballll
8/05/2019 9:51 am
Good game, Fred... It got hard to watch for me, I'm not going to lie. Temples couldn't seem to figure out which team he was playing for! It was one of those games... Good luck in the final!

By Cjfred68
8/05/2019 11:36 am
Gg eyeballll.....I went in thinking I had a good defensive gameplan but never expected 9 interceptions. CB Rogers is a rookie who was CB3 all season and I moved him up the depth chart for the game. 5 INTs in a playoff game has to he a record

By Cjfred68
8/05/2019 11:57 am
This definately falls under...."Be careful what you wish for". My first season in the league taking over a very good team built by Setherick and maintained well by OffensiveTaco. My main contribution has been retooling the secondary by drafting a cornerback, strong safety and free safety. I added some additional depth at RB and Oline.

I wanted a shot at Raidergreg and his Generals who are making their 5th trip to the League Championship game. Well I got it and must face off minus my best playmaker. Good luck Greg, I will give you my best.

Its sorta ironic that I'm in the title game with the team Booger started and ran for 6 seasons. He never finished above .500 or made the playoffs but now Houston has made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons under 3 different owners.