The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1984 Playoffs

By tribewriter
7/31/2019 5:39 am
Wild Card Roundup

Houston 31, Memphis 28: The coach-less Showboats players made a game of it, taking a 21-0 lead early on, but the Gamblers rallied to beat Memphis for the third time this season. Tony Dean's 64-yard TD pass to Bruce Edwards early in the fourth quarter put Houston ahead for good and a Charles Wallace interception with 1:51 to play sealed the victory. Mark Lambert had 83 yards rushing and 65 receiving for the Gamblers.

Denver 16, Michigan 9: Dustin Nichols' 81-yard TD pass to Corey True in the first quarter provided the game's only TD. Michigan drove to the Denver 30 in the final minutes, but a fourth down pass was incomplete due to an offensive overuse penalty. True had five catches for 146 yards. Michigan CB Timothy Hunziker recorded 12 tackles.

New Jersey 44, New Orleans 7: New Jersey celebrated the return of its RBs from injury by piling up 294 yards on the ground (6.26 per carry) in a wild-card rout. Rudi Johnson ran 20 times for 187 yards and Magic Johnson had 23 carries for 93 yards. The Johnsons ran for three TDs and Magic Johnson caught a TD pass. Stephan Labelle threw two TD passes early to open the scoring for New Jersey, which led, 34-0, at halftime.

Baltimore 42, Washington 6: The Stars beat the Federals for the third time this season and extended their win streak to six games. The Stars opened the scoring with a safety, then Jeffrey Gentry returned the ensuing kickoff 88 yards for a TD that gave Baltimore an early 8-0 lead. Darrell Trotter ran for two TDs for the Stars and the Baltimore defense forced six Washington turnovers (two INT, four fumbles).
Last edited at 7/31/2019 1:59 pm

By tribewriter
7/31/2019 5:59 am
Divisional Round Preview

Denver at Detroit: The Wheels were the No. 1 seed after a 14-2 regular season that included a 19-6 win over the Gold in Week 12. Detroit has won 14 in a row after an 0-2 start. The Wheels lead the regular-season series, 4-1, and defeated Denver, 33-3, in the 1981 wild-card round. MFN has made the Wheels a 4-point favorite.

Houston at Honolulu: The Hawaiians (13-3) earned a bye through their fourth Pacific Division title in the last five seasons. The Gamblers, who won the Southwest Division, survived a first-round scare by beating Memphis after trailing 21-0 early. The Hawaiians edged the Gamblers, 13-9, in Week 11 and lead the regular-season series, 5-1. Honolulu has never won a playoff game (0-4). MFN makes the Gamblers a 2-point favorite.

Baltimore at Birmingham: The Stallions (13-3) earned the bye via a South Division championship and a regular season that included victories over New Jersey and Jacksonville. The Stars are riding a six-game win streak under new head coach 4343. The Stars lead the regular-season series, 3-2, but the Stallions won, 29-0, when the teams last met in 1982. MFN has Birmingham as a 3-point favorite.

New Jersey at Jacksonville: The Bulls (12-4) earned their fourth consecutive Southeast Division title and a first-round bye. New Jersey's RBs got healthy and the Generals pounded New Orleans in the wild card game. Generals RB Rudi Johnson sustained a neck injury in that game, but is probable for this week. Jacksonville defeated New Jersey, 30-6, in Week 13 to tie the all-time series at 3-3. The Generals won, 23-21, in last year's playoffs on their way to a World Bowl victory. MFN makes the Bulls a 1-point favorite.
Last edited at 7/31/2019 2:00 pm

By Hellbringer
7/31/2019 11:39 am
GG Denver. I had a mind boggling 8.8 ytg on 3rd down. Good luck with Detroit, they're hot right now

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
7/31/2019 12:25 pm
Good game New Orleans, you just ran into the wrong team at the wrong time. Generals are defending champs who were finally almost fully healthy so we were gonna do this to whomever we played in the Wild Card.

Voodoo had an excellent season and there is no reason you can't do even better next year. Good luck in the offseason.

Now we're on to Jacksonville to try and get back to the World Bowl. This is our first road playoff game since January 10, 1981, so it will be a challenge.

By shavar
7/31/2019 12:33 pm
WOW,

I just got my Welcome to the big leagues **** Whipping. You played great and I see what this place is all about. It has been a fun first year and I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Good Luck to all teams left playing and congrats for making it this far

By AlexanDragon
7/31/2019 7:37 pm
Gg hellB ! Im happy my team won the important of our 2 latest matchups, i was nervous id get spanked again but this team can surprise me in a lot of ways!

By tribewriter
8/02/2019 9:47 am
Divisional Round
Baltimore 20, Birmingham 13: The Stars continue to roll under new head coach 4343, winning their seventh straight by knocking off the Stallions in the most incredible fashion. Birmingham scored what appeared to be the game-winning TD with 15 seconds to play. Stars QB Jon Snow was then sacked, leaving 10 seconds to go. On the final play from scrimmage, Baltimore ran what will forever be known in team lore as "I Formation Normal FL Hitch." Birmingham was in a normal 4-3 blitzing defense instead of a prevent or dime, plus they were penalized for defensive overuse. Stars WR Jonathan Coffey sprinted behind the secondary for an 89-yard touchdown as time expired (Baltimore added a 2-point conversion after time had expired, just to rub it in).

New Jersey 20, Jacksonville 17: Magic Johnson and Rudi Johnson combined for 84 yards rushing and 113 receiving and the Generals led from start to finish. New Jersey CB Lars Ulrich snuffed out the Bulls' final drive when he intercepted a pass at the Generals' 33 with 37 seconds to play. Jacksonville MLB Phillip Williamson recorded 11 tackles.

Detroit 17, Denver 10: The Wheels scored two TDs in the second quarter, then held on the rest of the way. The Gold got as close as the Detroit 39 in the closing minutes, but CB William Jones battled down a pass and made an open-field tackle to extinguish that threat. The Wheels limited Denver to 15 yards rushing on 16 attempts.

Houston 45, Honolulu 17: The Gamblers picked off four David McBroom passes as they routed the Hawaiians, dropping Honolulu to 0-5 all-time in playoff games. Houston QB Tony Dean found WR Gabriel Ahrens for TD passes of 80 and 44 yards and LDE Irvin Balzer recovered McBroom's fumble in the end zone for the Gamblers' final TD.

Conference Championship Preview

Houston at Detroit: The Wheels, who have won 15 in a row after an 0-2 start, are trying to earn their fourth World Bowl appearance. Detroit's players don't seem affected at all by head coach eyeballll's lame-duck status. The Gamblers, who are trying to return to the World Bowl under new head coach Cjfred68, defeated Detroit, 20-19, in last year's playoffs and beat the Wheels, 29-13, to open this season. MFN has Detroit a 1-point favorite in this one. The regular-season series is tied 3-3.

Baltimore at New Jersey: The Stars are on a serious roll under new head coach 4343, having won seven in a row and having pulled out a Hail Mary against Birmingham in the divisional round. Now-healthy New Jersey has looked every bit the part of defending World Bowl champions while smothering New Orleans and beating Jacksonville in the playoffs. Baltimore has never defeated New Jersey, losing the only previous postseason meeting of the teams and going 0-6 against the Generals during the regular season. MFN makes New Jersey a 5-point favorite.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/02/2019 11:49 am
Good game Jacksonville, we dodged several bullets in the 4th qtr. Bulls did an excellent job shutting down our running game, almost forcing a safety in the 4th qtr that could have changed the game. Best of luck in the offseason.

By hectorg93
8/02/2019 12:20 pm
GG Generals tight matchup just like I expect when I face elite managers here. No way though I get a win with 7 penalties to none but I guess thats MFN rolls, just was on the wrong side of it. LOL Good luck the rest of the way, hope you win so I can say I at least lost to the champ again.
Last edited at 8/02/2019 1:22 pm

By trslick
8/02/2019 1:52 pm
GG Cj, we played very bad!