The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1984 Draft

By tribewriter
6/05/2019 2:55 pm
Guys, I really wanted to do a mock draft, but I am really, really busy at work and at life. I hope things will slow down soon and allow me to get back to USFL projects, like the Hall of Fame ballot.
In lieu of that, here is a list of the No. 1 overall draft picks over the first 10 seasons of the USFL:
1983: RB Mark Lambert, Houston Gamblers
1982: MLB Joseph Totten, Boston Breakers
1981: WR Joseph Clark, Boston Breakers
1980: CB Charles Bowles, Boston Breakers
1979: WR Norman Shaw, Georgia Force
1978: SS Herbert Lynn, Philadelphia Bell
1977: LDE Alton Pastor, Michigan Panthers
1976: CB Rodney Preston, NY Stars
1975: MLB Fernando Stone, Charlotte Hornets
1974: CB Shawn Arzola, Tampa Bay Bandits (retired)

Of the 32 first-round picks in the 1974 allocation draft, 13 are still active.
The No. 6 overall pick in that draft, QB Joe Richardson, is still with the Washington Federals, still has an 88 rating, and has less than a 1 percent chance of retiring after this season.
Four players taken in the 46th round of that draft are still on active rosters: SLB Bruce Rivera, Oakland Invaders; P Bruce Kester, NY Stars; RG Daniel Dailey, Washington Federals; and TE Michael Diaz, Shreveport Steamer.

Re: 1984 Draft

By Mcarovil
6/05/2019 3:50 pm
Any guesses on who the Bandits are taking at #1???? It’s gonna be a shocker.

By Pernbronze
6/05/2019 5:29 pm
That's a pretty impressive round 46 tbh.

By tribewriter
6/06/2019 5:51 am
Mcarovil wrote:
Any guesses on who the Bandits are taking at #1???? It’s gonna be a shocker.

I can't guess what Mcarovil is thinking, but I know that low-vol, high-ceiling QBs are as rare as hen's teeth in this game. So, if I had my druthers, I'd draft Driggers. But that's just my 2 cents.

In a previous version, I might have considered RDE Hicks. But, since sacks are also as rare as hen's teeth these days, maybe the DE aren't quite as valuable.

By Mcarovil
6/06/2019 5:55 am
Yup. I don’t see the impact of DL as in the past. Given the affects on QB performance with the last few codes the Bandits have taken it on the chin with their previous all pro QBs.

Going to usher in a new era in Tampa with Driggers. Had to trade up just to make sure. Here’s to hoping he doesn’t bust......too much.

By Kababmaster
6/06/2019 5:57 am
The fastest LB with SS attributes, in terms of zone cov. I think 4.5 favours the short passing game, and giving the adjustment to sacks (the game needed), that is what I would be looking at.

For me, if this is a need for Mcrovil, Blanco or Wright gets my nod of approval.

By Mcarovil
6/06/2019 6:06 am
Oh yeah. Wright looks the part with 85 speed. I feels LBs are 2nd only to a QB in this code and they need to be able to go sideline to sideline in a hurry. Blanco is right on the edge with 72 speed.

Honestly Lawhon is right up there. He has a lot of red in some attributes that would suffer with that high vol so I think he will be a great player regardless.
Kababmaster wrote:
The fastest LB with SS attributes, in terms of zone cov. I think 4.5 favours the short passing game, and giving the adjustment to sacks (the game needed), that is what I would be looking at.

For me, if this is a need for Mcrovil, Blanco or Wright gets my nod of approval.
Last edited at 6/06/2019 6:07 am

By Hellbringer
6/06/2019 6:33 am
How much value do you put in the OL with 4.5? Since they took sacks out of the game, do you just go for strong run blockers?

By Kababmaster
6/06/2019 6:40 am
Hellbringer wrote:
How much value do you put in the OL with 4.5? Since they took sacks out of the game, do you just go for strong run blockers?

Strong OG's & RT (100 Run Blk, 70-80 strength) if you want to establish a solid ground game imho. Definitely not a position to be overlooked in a competitive league.

Going back to QB vs LB as a 1st pick.....I thhink QB needs to have all the pieces in place before he can blossom...whereas a LB with top attributes can step in and make an immediate impact....just my 2 cents.
Last edited at 6/06/2019 6:41 am

By Mcarovil
6/06/2019 7:44 am
I agree for sure but I’ve noticed with my teams it takes a QB 2 seasons to get the play familiarity to where he can play at a high level. The Bandits have been hard up for a legit QB so we basically had to pull the trigger.

The OL, that’s an interesting question. For us, I still look for decent PB with SP and ACC. Still see sacks against weak OL. Otherwise
Kababmaster wrote:
Hellbringer wrote:

Strong OG's & RT (100 Run Blk, 70-80 strength) if you want to establish a solid ground game imho. Definitely not a position to be overlooked in a competitive league.

Going back to QB vs LB as a 1st pick.....I thhink QB needs to have all the pieces in place before he can blossom...whereas a LB with top attributes can step in and make an immediate impact....just my 2 cents.