League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1991 Offseason Talk

By Smirt211
10/08/2020 6:13 am

1988 Preseason Game 1: 166 injuries

Yep, see...before the conditioning sets in. Bam, bam, bam.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
10/08/2020 6:14 am
1988 and 1989 averaged just over 130 injuries a week in preseason

So far in 1990 and 1991 we average 96.6...big difference

10/08/2020 6:15 am
It comes out to 1 less injury per team per week, which overall isn't a big difference but it certainly lessens the burden

By Smirt211
10/08/2020 6:17 am
I knew it had to be because the leagues with the 100% injury setting I kept having to say this isn't worth it or screw this as I was getting set for Regular Season Game #1.

Private-75 - I got ravaged. NFFL - it was a minefield of inactive/active gymnastics with no League Admin still in place. That was an easy Red Nose err Button day. Easiest abandon I ever hit.

Edit: I think 100% dings the players harder though. Deeper injuries such as questionable or a 4 week probable vs. 75%.

Last edited at 10/08/2020 6:18 am

10/08/2020 6:33 am
That's one thing I did not look at, the severity of the injuries and I doubt I will. Even with the filter set to list only injuries, I went back over 120 pages of transactions and I don't think I wanna do it again.

Reducing the # of injuries from 4 per team per game to 3 per team per game seems sufficient to me. Keep in mind these are just averages, so we'll always have outlier teams that get hit hard and others whose medical staff can take the preseason off.

If I were to change this rule, I would want to do a sliding scale where the slider is set low for preseason game 1, then increase it for game 2, and increase it again for game #3, working our way toward 100 for Week 1 regular season.

That being said, I like the way it currently is and I'm not actively looking to change it. That would be up to the league owners, if enough want to bring it up for a vote again, I can do that.

Last edited at 10/08/2020 6:35 am

By Cjfred68
10/08/2020 2:15 pm
I'm fine with whatever anyone wants.

I'm glad the drop from 100% to 75% made a difference.

In all honesty, I hope I never hear about injuries again. No setting, not 0% to 200% would make everyone happy. Injuries are a part of the game and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't but everyone deals with them.

10/08/2020 3:00 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
I'm fine with whatever anyone wants.

I'm glad the drop from 100% to 75% made a difference.

In all honesty, I hope I never hear about injuries again. No setting, not 0% to 200% would make everyone happy. Injuries are a part of the game and sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't but everyone deals with them.

Well you'll have to ignore my post when I announce the injury slider change tomorrow. Our last preseason game is tonight so I need to put the slider at 100 tomorrow.

By Cjfred68
10/10/2020 2:03 pm
The Houston Chronicle

September 3rd, 1991

The regular season is just a few days away and QB Tony Dean is entering his ninth season and eighth as starter. Where once he was the cocky young quarterback on a veteran team, he is now a veteran on a team full of younger playmakers. His offensive line is full of seasons vets and his defense is led by a speedy core of defensive backs and a veteran group up front on the defensive line.

We sat down with Tony Dean to ask him about the upcoming season and his expectations.

Q. Had do you rate the teams last 2 seasons?

A. Really if you look at it, its been 4 of the last 5 seasons we didn't win the division and ended up falling short in the playoffs. We won the division in 1988 and won it all. The emphasis this season is to win the division. That will give us the best shot to get where we wanna go.

Q. 9 of the last 12 seasons have seen either the Gamblers or the Showboats win it all with the Showboats having the edge 5-4. Does that drive you and this team?

A. Its my belief that the 2 best teams in the league reside in our division. That's means we have to focus all our efforts on beating Memphis in the regular season and getting home field advantage in the playoffs. Recent history has the Showboats with the advantage and we, as a team need to change that narrative.

Q. You have a shot to reach 40,000 yards passing and 350 TD passes this season. Do you focus on where you stand historically in the league?

A. I dont focus on those numbers daily, I try to focus on each game, half, quarter and play as they happen. If I continue to succeed in that focus, at the end of the day, I will get where I want to be.

Q. Where is that?

A. When I hang up my cleats, I want to be considered the best to have ever played this game. To reach that goal, I need to continue winning and adding titles to our teams resume. With team success will come individual accomplishments.

Q. You have a young core of playmakers on this team. How does it feel to be the elder statesman on offense?

A. Yeah, I'm getting older but this younger players keep me energized and excited for what we can accomplish as a team going forward. But remember, I have a veteran group on the offensive line and they let carry the mantle of veteran leaders. Without that solid line, none of us can put up the numbers or points we need.

Q. Is it title or bust this season?

A. Our team has positioned itself so that we have a chance each and every season to compete for a title. That is our sole goal entering each season and this season is no different, so yes its title or bust!

By Cjfred68
10/11/2020 3:47 am
Good Luck everyone in the upcoming season! Great league, Great owners and Great League admin and Great League admin assistant.

By Mcarovil
10/12/2020 7:34 am
With all this complaining about injuries, did anyone look at the number of plays that the injured player participated in and if there is a correlation to high # of plays to injuries?

I know a lot of owners who have a player listed at multiple positions and STs. Just curious. I don’t care. We rarely get injuries despite the settings.