The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Is McKeon's Sacks an Exploit or Not?

Do you feel using an 89 speed 89 acceleration LB as a DE is a game exploit?

Yes
No

Re: Is McKeon's Sacks an Exploit or Not?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
6/30/2020 4:05 am
Last week I phrased the question wrong and included too many variables, which led to me getting more frustrated than I already was from dealing with hungry drunk people/lack of sleep.

This question is all about McKeon and whether using him at DE, despite weighing 237 pounds, is an exploit or not. The more I've thought about it, I believe it is, and I'm considering implementing a rule similar to what Cjfred is using.

If anyone thinks it's not an exploit please explain. Let's all keep things civil and come up with something that's best for the league as a whole. Also, let's not get into the details of what the rule should be, I'd like to keep it to whether or not this is an exploit for now. Thanks in advance.

*BTW, any new rule won't take effect until next season
Last edited at 6/30/2020 4:07 am

By AlexanDragon
6/30/2020 5:47 pm
It's worth noting that it is being used with the same play 40'ish times a game too.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
6/30/2020 6:54 pm
Three people said it's not an exploit but I don't see any comments as to why. I wasn't planning on debating, just want to hear the other side's arguments.

By Mcarovil
6/30/2020 10:17 pm
I haven’t looks deep into it and I think Seth said he changed after our game but I don’t run deep passes and he had 0 sacks. If the majority of sacks are coming on long pass plays then too bad for the opponent. If McKeon is getting 6-8 sacks against a good team game plan with the appropriate pass plays then I would say yes exploit. I don’t have that info.

By setherick
6/30/2020 10:40 pm
I haven't update the db this week. Here are the plays that I have in the db that McKeon has had a sack against and the number of sacks.

OffensivePlay '---' COUNT(OffensivePlay)
I Formation 3WR FL Post --- 2
I Formation 3WR PA Fullback Flat --- 2
I Formation 3WR SE Post --- 2
I Formation 3WR Slot Corner Long --- 2
I Formation 3WR Slot Short WR Deep --- 4
I Formation Normal Curl & Post --- 2
I Formation Normal FL Hitch --- 1
I Formation Normal FL Hook --- 1
I Formation Normal Max Protect --- 8
I Formation Normal PA Fullback Flat --- 1
I Formation Normal PA Streaks --- 3
I Formation Normal SE Post --- 1
I Formation Normal TE Out --- 4
I Formation Power PA Flats --- 2
I Formation Twin WR Hard Slants --- 1
Shotgun 2 RB 3 WR Strong Deep --- 1
Shotgun 4 Wide Slot Curl --- 2
Shotgun Normal HB Flare --- 3
Singleback Big Waggle Post --- 7
Singleback Normal FL Post --- 1
Singleback Normal TE Quick Out --- 1
Split Backs 3 Wide WR Quick Out --- 1
Strong I Normal Quick Hooks --- 1
Strong I Normal WR Post TE Out --- 2
Weak I Normal All Go --- 5
Weak I Normal Skinny Posts --- 1
Weak I Normal WR Corner TE Middle --- 3

Note: I don't think this is an exploit any more than some of the "no plan, all Hitch" offenses are an exploit. I also need McKeon at LB, so I just cleared the 46 override.

Wells is now my LDE in the 46. Here's what I think will happen. I won't get as many sacks, but my INTs should probably go up. The reason why is that Well should still accelerate past all OL, but it'll give the QB 0.5-1 more second to throw. The QB will still be throwing under pressure on all of those long passes listed up above (and there are a lot of them)

/thread/
Last edited at 6/30/2020 10:55 pm

By Cjfred68
7/01/2020 12:10 am
In the NFL in 2019, 18 players has at least 10 sacks, 9 of those were linebackers playing edge rusher on the defensive line.

Shaquille Barrett 250 lbs
Chandler Jones 265 lbs
T.J. Watt 252 lbs
Zadarius Smith 272 lbs
P. Smith 265 lbs
R. Quinn 260 lbs
B. Dupree 269 lbs
J. Allen 262 lbs
M. Golden 260 lbs

I'm instituting a mandatory weight of 255 for linebackers to play defensive line. Clearly a 237 lb linebacker would get severly manhandled playing 40+ downs on the line of scrimmage facing linemen over 300 pounds every down.

This weight restriction will bring the sack totals down to a more normal level....Mckeon has 70 sacks but even that is light because another player on Portland has 12 sacks....I believe his name is Aiken....all 12 of his sacks are a result of McKeon whiffing on the tackle (his pass rush is 53 and tackle is 48).

This is no different then a 90 speed player blocking punts left and right....In fact Mckeon has several of those too.

To me, its about finding a balance that works without going from one extreme to the next. An 84 speed 256 pound linebacker may get 20 sacks in season but not 100

By setherick
7/01/2020 12:25 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
In the NFL in 2019, 18 players has at least 10 sacks, 9 of those were linebackers playing edge rusher on the defensive line.

Shaquille Barrett 250 lbs
Chandler Jones 265 lbs
T.J. Watt 252 lbs
Zadarius Smith 272 lbs
P. Smith 265 lbs
R. Quinn 260 lbs
B. Dupree 269 lbs
J. Allen 262 lbs
M. Golden 260 lbs

I'm instituting a mandatory weight of 255 for linebackers to play defensive line. Clearly a 237 lb linebacker would get severly manhandled playing 40+ downs on the line of scrimmage facing linemen over 300 pounds every down.

This weight restriction will bring the sack totals down to a more normal level....Mckeon has 70 sacks but even that is light because another player on Portland has 12 sacks....I believe his name is Aiken....all 12 of his sacks are a result of McKeon whiffing on the tackle (his pass rush is 53 and tackle is 48).

This is no different then a 90 speed player blocking punts left and right....In fact Mckeon has several of those too.

To me, its about finding a balance that works without going from one extreme to the next. An 84 speed 256 pound linebacker may get 20 sacks in season but not 100

McKeon has no punt blocks to my knowledge or in my database. So unless he's blocked "several" in the past two games (not downloaded or watched yet).

Waggoner has 3. Get your facts right.

4-1-ARZ 23 (5:17) Punt BLOCKED by 52-James Waggoner! recovered by ARZ-21-Ernest Meadows to ARZ 4 for -1 yards. Tackle by 52-James Waggoner. Turnover on downs.
4-13-DEN 22 (7:04) Punt BLOCKED by 52-James Waggoner! recovered by POR-95-Henry Proctor to DEN 5 for 2 yards. Tackle by 70-Lawrence Rodriguez.
4-4-OAK 31 (6:08) Punt BLOCKED by 52-James Waggoner! recovered by POR-54-Lyle Brown at OAK 23. Tackle by 76-Paul Bieber.
Last edited at 7/01/2020 12:29 am

By Cjfred68
7/01/2020 12:41 am
I knew you had blocked some punts and I did make the assumption that McKeon was involved but clearly if Wagon with his 87/65 rating got a few...Mckeon has the capability...I guess he is too tired from chasing QBs

Disregard everything I said....I made a mistake....opinion withdrawn....Seth wins
Last edited at 7/01/2020 12:43 am

By Dogboyuk75
7/01/2020 2:17 am
If engine wasn’t buggered I’d say this was fine bringing speed rushers onto line on obvious passing plays but after watching a few of his sacks and the way engine handles it ,it feels like something is broken.the way they turn their backs then turn back to engage when player is past ,and no sacks given up shown on a lot of these

By Mcarovil
7/01/2020 5:27 am
Can’t compare NFL stats and apply it to MFN. Two totally separate things other than football being the second word.
Last edited at 7/01/2020 5:28 am