League Forums

Main - League Help

Re: I need answers

By eyeballll
8/12/2017 1:26 pm
First of all, I have no idea why the AI is calling runs when you have it set up to pass, and it's not right.

That being said, this has become a discussion of rules vs gameplan 'matrix'. Since there are a number of new owners here, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I've been doing this for a while, and I dabbled with both the matrix and the rules, and I've settled on a decent combination of both.

Offensively, I primarily use the matrix in conjunction with 4 rules.

1) I throw long on 2nd and long.
2) I run the ball inside my own 5 yard line
3) I go for it on 4th and 1 between the red zones.
4) I go for it on 4th down inside the opponents 3 yd line, instead of kicking a field goal.

I experimented with rules for different situations offensively, especially when behind in a game, but I didn't have too much success, so I went back to setting up my gameplan the way I liked it. I sometimes adjust what I do on 1st down, depending on my talent (or lack thereof,) but it mostly stays as is.

Defensively, I run exclusively on rules. It's really hard to do, it took me about 3 hours of concentration and frustration, but I managed to do it pretty well. If anyone wants to know details of what I did, pm me. It works really well, I'm happy with it.

2 things are very important when setting rules: make sure not to overlap rules (it creates a conflict that the AI often screws up,) and make sure you're using enough plays with your rules. I've seen guys really overuse plays by not setting up rules properly, which is unfair to other owners.

I am in awe of Tribewriters accomplishment of using rules for every situation, that is mindboggling and intimidating to me! But you don't have to do it that way, you can just have a few rules for specific situations, they work very well...

By tribewriter
8/12/2017 5:06 pm
Totally true, eyeball. I first started using rules just for the situations in which the AI was consistently letting me down.

By Booger926
8/12/2017 5:45 pm
If this has truly become a conversation of "Rules vs Game Plan Matrix" then let it be so. But at the time being, the main topic is "WHY did this happen?"
Please begin a new thread if we, as owners, would like to debate our rules vs the matrix.

By tribewriter
8/12/2017 6:43 pm
JDB said it looks like a bug. So it happened because of a bug. That's why.
Last edited at 8/12/2017 6:44 pm

By Smirt211
9/03/2017 1:43 pm
Booger926 wrote:
If this has truly become a conversation of "Rules vs Game Plan Matrix" then let it be so. But at the time being, the main topic is "WHY did this happen?"
Please begin a new thread if we, as owners, would like to debate our rules vs the matrix.

I'm not even going to front but the change over to matrix vs. rules conversation was far more fascinating and informative.

Things happen in the game. Nitpicking to the nth degree and being disappointed will drive you crazy.