League Forums

Main - League Help

Re: I need answers

By tribewriter
8/10/2017 5:08 pm
To clarify, I NEVER go to the pages that say "offensive gameplan" and "defensive gameplan." They are irrelevant to me. Everything I do is on the "gameplan rules" page. Here is what one of my rules looks like, for another team in another league:

DAL Inside own 10, inside run
Down: First Down, Second Down, Third Down
Distance: 1 - 30 To Go
Quarter: First Quarter, Second Quarter, Third Quarter, Fourth Quarter, Overtime
Time: 15:00 - 2:00
Score: Down 29+ - Up 29+
Play Type: Outside Run: 0%, Inside Run: 100%, Short Pass: 0%, Medium Pass: 0%, Long Pass: 0%
Personnel: 1RB/1TE/3WR: 16%, 1RB/2TE/2WR: 17%, 2RB/3WR: 16%, 2RB/1TE/2WR: 17%, 2RB/3TE: 17%, 3RB/1TE/1WR: 17%

By Booger926
8/10/2017 5:13 pm
tribewriter wrote:
Your frustration with us comes from us being on different pages, literally and figuratively.

You are not using "rules." When you go to change your gameplan, you are going to the pages where "offensive gameplan" and "defensive gameplan" are at the top. When you go to the page where "gameplan rules" is at the top, THEN you can create guidelines that override what the AI wants to do.

The first sentence on that page reads:
"Here you can set specific rules that will override the settings in the general gameplan screens, as well as any other gametime coaching decisions."

That is the way to avoid being at the mercy of the AI. Override it.

My frustration comes not from the league members nor from the loss, but more from the inability to successfully execute a worthwhile game plan which I believe would have and could have been successful in the situation as prescribed. And not one owner has been successful in convincing me otherwise.

As I stated before, I would not have a problem if a team actually played what I had planned. But when my team via an AI decision chooses to ignore my plan, what am I left to do.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/10/2017 6:54 pm
tribewriter wrote:
To clarify, I NEVER go to the pages that say "offensive gameplan" and "defensive gameplan." They are irrelevant to me. Everything I do is on the "gameplan rules" page.

Gotcha, but in my experience both pages should be in sync. I don't fully understand how the rules we set interact with the sliders on the offensive/defensive gameplan screen, but the closer they are to being set the same, the better decisions my HC makes on gameday.

I'm just guessing but I think ignoring those pages is the root of the issue.

By tribewriter
8/10/2017 7:10 pm
What you are left to do is write very, very specific rules on the "gameplan rules" page to override whatever screwed-up logic the AI is using.

By tribewriter
8/10/2017 7:15 pm
You are correct in that, if no "gameplan rule" applies, the AI will default to whatever you have set on the "offensive gameplan" and "defensive gameplan" pages. It takes a while to create rules that cover every scenario.

By big_guido1983
8/11/2017 1:55 am
I don't use any rules and don't seem to have any of these problems that you're seeing. As for the worst one, #2, there isn't enough info posted for me to fully understand why your team did that. The only things I can guess at is that you didn't have pass plays available for that specific situation or the personnel formations for that down and distance. That is if it isn't just a bug. If you're using rules, that complicates things extremely.

By Otterpop
8/11/2017 2:38 pm
tribewriter wrote:
The rules just give the AI fewer opportunities to use something other than what you want. I had to write 60 of them before I finally achieved some predictability.

Wow 60 rules... I have a long way to go.

By tribewriter
8/11/2017 2:49 pm
Those rules were written over a VERY long time. Since my team was horrible, there was no pressure to get them done right away. Sometimes I would only add one rule a day. I started off with the places where the AI gameplan was the most horrible ... inside my own 10 and inside my opponents' 10. Then I added dime or prevent defenses and long-bomb offenses for late in the game. Eventually I got to first-and-10, second-and-10, etc.

By tribewriter
8/11/2017 3:04 pm
By the way, my first MFN team was the Oakland Raiders in MFN-32. They were so bad and I had no idea what I was doing. Fast forward three seasons, and raidergreg69 has that same team and they are 11-5.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/11/2017 3:42 pm
tribewriter wrote:
By the way, my first MFN team was the Oakland Raiders in MFN-32. They were so bad and I had no idea what I was doing. Fast forward three seasons, and raidergreg69 has that same team and they are 11-5.

LOL that's funny. When I first took over that Raider team, I was hoping to turn it around in 2 or 3 seasons and am surprised I got it to 11-5 already. I started the wrong QB to start the season as his fumbling and inability to avoid pass rush were problems, along with INT's. Said screw it, gonna try Torres at QB and all he did was take the job and run with it have a pretty good season.

Felt like I got a little lucky in some games, and this year's free agency was rough, missed out on my top targets. One thing I noticed about MFN 32 that is different than most leagues is the age of available free agents. I have never seen so many 10+ year vets in one list before, geez.