The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1981 USFL/WFL Hall of Fame Ballot is Up!

By tribewriter
1/01/2019 12:57 pm
Today we begin voting for the first class of the USFL/WFL Hall of Fame. You will be receiving a PM which contains links to the Survey Monkey ballot and to the web page that contains detailed information about the candidates.

I know this has taken a while. If you need to re-familiarize yourself with the Hall of Fame guidelines, they are in this post:
https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/1/829?page=1#3932

I want to say a few things about this first ballot.
1. I have grouped the candidates by position, but you can vote for as many players as you wish, regardless of position.
2. There are relatively few OL and DL. This is because their careers are longer and most of the league's best OL and DL are still active. So the number of candidates there is likely to grow.
3. There are more WR and DB candidates because their careers are shorter and some of the league's best have already retired.
4. I did add All-Pro selections to the player stats, but I don't think those are a valid measuring stick of a player's career. They just indicate one outstanding season. Arizona's Curtis Scott, for instance, was perhaps the best triple-threat player in league history, but was never voted All-Pro because there were other players at his position(s) who had better stats in that particular season. Having said that, MLB James Kelley was All-Pro three times, which is quite a feat.
5. The player pages are linked from the web page, so you can do a more detailed statistical comparison if you wish.
6. Some coaches chose not to nominate a player or to even respond to my call for nominations. That is a shame. The Hall of Fame committee did attempt to fill the ballot with other deserving players. However, if you know of a Hall of Fame caliber player who was left out of the voting, that player can certainly be nominated again for the Class of 1982.

Re: 1981 USFL/WFL Hall of Fame Ballot is Up!

By Smirt211
1/01/2019 1:18 pm
Voted.

Quite the inaugural ballot. :)

By CrimsonWolfZ
1/01/2019 1:26 pm
Voted

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
1/01/2019 1:59 pm
I'm in the middle of voting now and just wanted to say that I hope the kicker on the ballot gets zero votes. It's not that I'm against a K making it on the ballot, or even making it in the HOF, but if one does, I would expect a FG % >90%, or at least high 80's.

By ToroTex
1/01/2019 2:07 pm
voted

By SunBlaze22
1/01/2019 2:53 pm
Voted, though I may say that I think it's insane to vote for anyone who doesn't have any All Pro nominations. Maybe that's just me though.

1/01/2019 3:00 pm
Voting is almost done, just have to hit the OK button but I want to share my ballot first. These are all very good players on the ballot, except for maybe the kicker, so I looked up everyone's stats trying to split hairs.

I'm only voting for 6 players of the 24 listed.

QB Voted for Agustin Crook. Robertson was a fine QB, but compared to Crook I felt he wasn't HOF worthy.

RB Voted for Curtis Scott. Moore and Collins just seemed too pedestrian to me to vote for. I mean they both were at 4 ypc or less while Scott was 6.2. Total TD's factored in as well, 67 TD's in 6 years is HOF worthy in my eyes.

OL Voted for Charles Bukowski. This position almost requires one to look up their stats. I did, and what I found in the tackles allowed section pushed me to vote Bukowski. He allowed only 75 tackles on 2196 run blocks and just 16 penalties. Reece had 500 MORE run blocks and allowed 3 times as many tackles (222) with 38 penalties. Jackson was more similar to Reece, so only Bukowski got my vote.

TE Only 1 on the ballot and I did NOT vote for him. Never had a 1000 yard season and just 1 season with more than 3 TD's.

WR Voted for Santiago Smith. I'm not going to discuss each WR on the ballot but I will say IMO Smith was clearly better than the others. I'm a big TD guy on HOF voting and someone averaging 13 TD's a season grabs my attention.

K NO! I'm not even going to look at a kicker with less than 80% success and probably will not vote for any kicker unless they're over 90%.

DL Did not vote for Frigo. He started out on a HOF pace but his last 2 years were empty stat years.

LB Did not vote for Kelley. I like that he only missed 1 game in his career, and he was consistently very good, but I didn't vote for him because I felt he missed too many tackles and had too few sacks/int's.

DB Voted for Leon Crisman and Corey Garcia. All 7 DB's on the ballot are very good but Crisman and Garcia got my votes for consistency. I really liked Crisman's 11 INT's his final season and Garcia had at least 3 INT each season.

I almost voted for Ronald Williams, who had 3 pretty good seasons. Only 3 though, not enough IMO. Alston's first 2 years had him on the HOF track but his last 3 derailed that IMO. Dickey was solid but with just 10 INT in 7 seasons, I could not vote for him. Ellis had too many seasons with a high catch % for me to vote him in. Nothing on Litchford's card caught my eye positive or negative, he was middle of the pack amongst these 7.

By cyclonelomax
1/01/2019 3:08 pm
voted, really cool feature

1/01/2019 3:13 pm
SunBlaze22 wrote:
Voted, though I may say that I think it's insane to vote for anyone who doesn't have any All Pro nominations. Maybe that's just me though.

Nothing wrong with that if that's how you feel, just glad you voted. Everyone should vote however they see fit. I posted my ballot because I'm on the HOF committee and want to be open about my thoughts on the subject.

By Hellbringer
1/01/2019 3:41 pm
Voted