The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Three game Pre-Season proposal

By ToroTex
5/02/2018 3:12 pm
I propose we consider cutting pre-season down to 3 games next year.
I believe three games is more than enough time to evaluate new talent, playbooks, etc.

A four game span generates too many unnecessary injuries.
(At this point, two has been painful enough.)

Having a bunch of broken veteran starters is not a great way to start a new season

Re: Three game Pre-Season proposal

By Hellbringer
5/02/2018 3:20 pm
I agree!

By tribewriter
5/02/2018 3:47 pm
We did discuss this issue in November 2017 and did not arrive at a consensus:
https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/1/313?page=1#1272

We can revisit the issue if there is strong enough general support for a reduction to warrant a ballot measure.

Let's see what direction the discussion on this thread takes.

By Pernbronze
5/02/2018 5:16 pm
I like the 4 game preseason, I make full use of it and am still evaluating plays into the regular season every season as it is. To me injuries are moot as they happen to everyone with equal chance.

By AlexanDragon
5/02/2018 5:22 pm
I agree with pern ( for once.......jk ) the only upside id see is a quicker league... By only 2 sims so not really noticeable, but personnaly id be happy because it curently has about the same offseason schedule as my mfn85 team lol

By jabillups85
5/02/2018 9:38 pm
****, I'd be good with 2 games.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
5/03/2018 7:49 am
I'm in a league with only 2 preseason games and I hate it, way too short. I like having 4 preseason games as the opponents playing style will vary more, giving a better read on new players.

Imagine if we only have 2 preseason games and somebody has both Detroit and Tampa on their schedule, or any 2 top tier teams. That team's players will not likely fare very well, and you're left wondering...do they **** because of the competition or do they just ****?

There are ways around injuries, if you play with the depth chart you should be able to find someone to cover a position of need in a meaningless game, even if it's a 225 lb DE or 276 lb MLB. If you can't or won't do that, one thing I do is sign some old guy to a 1 year minimum contract, or any guy you know you will cut.

Once that player is cut, it only counts like $15,000 against the cap. Just make sure you doubt you'll ever want to resign him because doing this often makes them unwilling to sign with you in the future.

By tribewriter
5/03/2018 12:05 pm
I always bring 60 players to camp for precisely that reason. If one of my regulars gets a hangnail, I am going to sit him out. I would rather sacrifice the guy whom I signed to a one-year deal knowing full well I will cut him after camp.

By tribewriter
5/03/2018 12:08 pm
tribewriter wrote:
I always bring 60 players to camp for precisely that reason. If one of my regulars gets a hangnail, I am going to sit him out. I would rather sacrifice the guy whom I signed to a one-year deal knowing full well I will cut him after camp.

I guess I am in the minority. Only Baltimore, Washington, New Jersey and New York have 60 guys in camp. Orlando has 59. Memphis has 45.

By ToroTex
5/03/2018 12:40 pm
Pernbronze wrote:
To me injuries are moot as they happen to everyone with equal chance.

I respectfully disagree. Injuries do not occur "equally".
DEN would probably agree with me at present.

Also, from what I've experienced, older players become injured more often.
My old guys can't take too much more of this. :)

I would still like to see a 3 game pre-season but I will conform to the majority.

Shall we vote on it?