The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Poll: Advance Notice for Hiring Coaches?

Should our league require that the opposing coach be given notice if you intend to hire one of his current coaches?

No, notice should not be required
Yes, notice should be required

Re: Poll: Advance Notice for Hiring Coaches?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/15/2018 4:55 pm
If this rule gets put+ in place and it gets violated, what then? What happens when one owner gives another owner the proper notice but the notice is never seen? Are we really going to ask our commish to pour over pm's checking time stamps? Are we also going to ask him to change coaches back to their original teams, give the contract money back, etc?

I understand the frustration of losing a coach, I just lost my DC but all I'm hearing is crying. If we are going to ask for a "problem" to be resolved, we should also come up with a solution for the said "problem".

By Booger926
4/15/2018 5:57 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
Booger926 wrote:
Also, I have no freakin' idea why a team that was / is currently successful by continuously being in the playoffs should be taking coaches from those teams which are not successful. Why, if you have been to the Conference Championship game twice in two seasons, why are you taking coaches from another team if the last coach to retire on your team was in 1974. Why did you take a new HC, OC, and DC?

What? Good teams shouldn't be allowed to improve their coaches?

Exactly!!!!!!

But tell that to the four successful teams that made it to this year's playoffs who decided to poach coaches from other teams. As if going 13-3 wasn't good enough.

Its just a case of the best getting better and the rest can just go play in another league.

So..basically its screw the Peons so TribewriterX or Another can just get better.
Last edited at 4/15/2018 6:02 pm

By AlexanDragon
4/15/2018 7:15 pm
Im too biased to vote.
As i lost my qb coach but am always looking to improve my coaching staff. Usually only poach from ai teams or inactive users tho. Which isnt the case here.

By Pernbronze
4/15/2018 10:28 pm
Booger926 wrote:
raidergreg69 wrote:
Booger926 wrote:
Also, I have no freakin' idea why a team that was / is currently successful by continuously being in the playoffs should be taking coaches from those teams which are not successful. Why, if you have been to the Conference Championship game twice in two seasons, why are you taking coaches from another team if the last coach to retire on your team was in 1974. Why did you take a new HC, OC, and DC?

What? Good teams shouldn't be allowed to improve their coaches?

Exactly!!!!!!

But tell that to the four successful teams that made it to this year's playoffs who decided to poach coaches from other teams. As if going 13-3 wasn't good enough.

Its just a case of the best getting better and the rest can just go play in another league.

So..basically its screw the Peons so TribewriterX or Another can just get better.

Because those poor teams can poach just as easy from the good teams. And the only way to stay elite or be LC is to keep getting better. You sit idle you can fall out of playoff contention in a heartbeat especially in a competitive league like this.

By Pernbronze
4/15/2018 10:34 pm
SunBlaze22 wrote:
I'd just like to add onto the Booger's statement here.

In the NFL, coaches can just up and leave from one team to the next. I won't deny that. But at least the team the coach is leaving know to a degree that there is a possibility that the coach might be leaving. And when they do decide to leave, they usually have to tell the old team that their leaving before they actually do. They don't just one day stop showing up.

Whereas, on here, you have no indication whatsoever. You just log on one day, and bam your coach is gone and all of a sudden you have to find a new one.

So at least, don't make the argument that no notice should be required "just because it's how it works in real life/the NFL" or whatever, because that's wrong.

I'll still be fine with whatever the majority decides, but just in my opinion i'd prefer a somewhat warning or notice.

Its pretty simple, if you have a good coach, expect someone to try to poach him. Yes those teams got warnings but it was that those coaches MIGHT be poached. You basically get the same thing here just by considering if the coach is reasonably high for their position. They can't really fill the vacancy until the coach is taken just like here, they can line up a candidate but that candidate will go elsewhere if they have a sooner or higher paid offer, just like here. Basically assume all your high coaches are being interviewed and problem solved, you have as much notice as IRL teams do.

By Pernbronze
4/15/2018 10:47 pm
Loftusranger wrote:
I was going to ask exactly how much difference does a position coach make?

I was also guilty of a poach so I have been thinking about this. A system of notice would be interesting but will it change anything? -there will still be a merry go round of coach finding and poaching. I think that I agree with Pernb that notice may not help.

However to me, replacing an OC/DC can be harder (and more annoying) and leads to most of the poaching so could you just have a blanket ban on poaching to replace the OCs and DCs but leave everyone as fair game if you are replacing the HC.
If your OC or DC retires (or if you are fed up with them) you then have to promote from within and go to the unemployed coaches to fill the positions.

Just a thought.

Coaches make a fair bit of difference in how fast a player grows. Playbook is critical that it matches your teams strengths and masks your weaknesses. And they also provide some small in game boosts (tiny boost to rolls going your way). Given in a competitive league like this many games can come down to whether a 50/50 pass is caught or dropped or a missed/made field goal it can often be the difference between a L or W. That little difference is a big difference in close games, it just isn't going to blow away anything statwise or anything. A good coach group may get you an extra 3-4 catches on a receiver and maybe a .3 YPC boost in a season. Not anything to wow over but like I said if that catch is at the right time or that .3 is the difference between a first down and just short it can really swing a game. I'm kind of a prime example. The seasons I was winning my division I had a good coaching group. My team got a little better but I had a poor time acquiring coaches last season and it left me with a poor coaching staff. Despite my player improvement, my team fared significantly worse due to lack of "luck".

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/16/2018 1:14 am
Unless the voting takes a major turn, poaching will stay but something that might help is to extend the free agency period by a sim or 2. I got my DC from the unemployment line but anyone who got poached this sim only has 1 chance left to replace them. This might at least alleviate some stress for the poached.

By Pernbronze
4/16/2018 3:50 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
Unless the voting takes a major turn, poaching will stay but something that might help is to extend the free agency period by a sim or 2. I got my DC from the unemployment line but anyone who got poached this sim only has 1 chance left to replace them. This might at least alleviate some stress for the poached.

This has been my complaint from short FA all along.

By Pernbronze
4/16/2018 3:53 am
Also you can kind of safeguard your coaches from being poached at week one by resigning them and giving them like a dollar raise. After a coach is signed or resigned they cannot be taken unless they are released. So this will lock in your coaches after the first sim. (This must be done every season).

By adamsneeka
4/16/2018 6:07 am
The coaching situation is not ideal but the fix needs to be at a programming level maybe the first week of free agency or last week of season is a coach extension period (veteran resigning period also imho) open to the current owner or opposing teams make an offer the current owner can see and match during the fa period. just a quick idea. Or coaches act like like players and don't sign straight away if they are high quality at the position. Not a fix for right now but until one is implemented my vote is we work with what we have.