The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Poll: Advance Notice for Hiring Coaches?

Should our league require that the opposing coach be given notice if you intend to hire one of his current coaches?

No, notice should not be required
Yes, notice should be required

Re: Poll: Advance Notice for Hiring Coaches?

By tribewriter
4/15/2018 6:05 am
SunBlaze22 posted on the league chat a few days ago that he was upset because another coach (me) had hired one of his position coaches, Keith Aguirre, as offensive coordinator for the New York Stars. We exchanged PMs, and his argument against this was two-fold. First, he never hires a coach from another team because he sees this as bad form. Second, he wanted to receive notice of Aguirre leaving and thus have the opportunity to hire a replacement. Otherwise, all of the desirable candidates could be gone without SunBlaze even knowing he has an opening on his staff.

I thought perhaps we should address SunBlaze's concerns on a league-wide basis.

The lack of notification built into the game is a problem. Unless you are checking your staff during free agency, there is no way to know you have a vacancy.

SO we could address that issue by requiring advance notice.

OR, is this practice unsportsmanlike and do we need to prohibit hiring any coach from another team?

AND, how much notice should be required? If I make this offer at 1 a.m. and the SIM runs an hour later is that enough notice for the opposing coach to prepare an offer to a potential replacement? Or, do we need to require 24 hours notice to properly warn coaches who only check their PMs once per day?

Similar to the last potential rule change, we may need to discuss whether a change is needed at all, then decide which change we will vote on, then vote on that issue.

By Pernbronze
4/15/2018 7:10 am
Voted no, just like in real life when theres a promotion available coaches take it. And they only get warning that its possible not that it will happen just like in this game. If there were same level issues (QB coach to QB coach with a raise), I could understand but with it based on promotion no. Its just part of the game. I think giving notice just gives too much advantage to the team he's on and can seriously screw the team(s) trying to sign him.

By Loftusranger
4/15/2018 7:32 am
I was going to ask exactly how much difference does a position coach make?

I was also guilty of a poach so I have been thinking about this. A system of notice would be interesting but will it change anything? -there will still be a merry go round of coach finding and poaching. I think that I agree with Pernb that notice may not help.

However to me, replacing an OC/DC can be harder (and more annoying) and leads to most of the poaching so could you just have a blanket ban on poaching to replace the OCs and DCs but leave everyone as fair game if you are replacing the HC.
If your OC or DC retires (or if you are fed up with them) you then have to promote from within and go to the unemployed coaches to fill the positions.

Just a thought.

Last edited at 4/15/2018 7:37 am

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/15/2018 7:39 am
tribewriter wrote:
The lack of notification built into the game is a problem. Unless you are checking your staff during free agency, there is no way to know you have a vacancy.

Huh? I always get a big box on the top of my league page anytime I lose a coach that says You do not have a full coaching staff like the one I have now since Memphis poached my DC to be the new Showboats HC. It's part of the game, it happens.

How would this potential rule even be enforced? If we have a notice rule and it gets violated, what then?

Not hiring coaches from other teams at all? IMO that would be a ridiculous rule. We all had our coaching staffs stocked randomly by the system which resulted in mismatched HC/OC/DC combos. For example one team may have a HC who runs west coast offense/heavy zone 3-4, an OC who likes a run focused offense and a DC who prefers heavy blitzing 4-3.

I just had my HC retire in MFN 48 and we have HC's who retire here so what's a guy to do in this situation? Promote from within, resulting in an overhaul of the playbook? Hire an unproven or unwanted coach from the scrap heap just to keep the playbook consistent?

You will be fixing one so called problem to appease a few owners while creating a whole new set of problems stemming from the "fix"

Just my 2 cents, plus tip

By Booger926
4/15/2018 9:47 am
Pernbronze wrote:
Voted no, just like in real life when theres a promotion available coaches take it. And they only get warning that its possible not that it will happen just like in this game. I think giving notice just gives too much advantage to the team he's on and can seriously screw the team(s) trying to sign him.

From This Link, which is RULES NFL teams MUST follow in hiring new coaches, each rule indicates that there must be indication.
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/10/14038902/nfl-teams-hiring-new-head-coach-must-follow-rules

So...New England KNEW before they lost the Superbowl that they were going to lose OC Josh Daniels and Matt Patricia because some one asked permission to take them from the Patriots

Superbowl Champion Eagles KNEW they were going to lose OC Frank Reich because Indianapolis asked permission to promote their coach.

Kansas City Chiefs KNEW they were going to lose their OC Matt Nagy because Chicago made it aware they were interested in him as HC

The Vikings KNEW they were going to lose their OC Pat Shumar because the Giants made it aware that they were interested in him as HC

The Texans KNEW they were going to lose their DC Mike Vrabel because Tennessee made it aware that they were interested in him as their HC.

The Cardinals made it aware that they were interested in promoting DC Steve Wilks to head coach moments after their intended Target, Shumur, signed with Minnesota, and were seeking permission for an interview from Carolina.

So, each one of this season's new coaches which came from another team had first had to seek permission for an interview, thereby notifying the previous team that they could be losing their coach. Not one of the New Coaches of the NFL was holding clandestine, secret meetings behind closed doors and bolted to the new team the moment the clock struck twelve and the ink was dry on the contract.

Even this year's exception, Jon Gruden, there was notice from the Media that Oakland was interested in him before ESPN even knew.

And even by your own quote, you mentioned that other coaches get notifications "just like in this game". Well, who have you notified that you were going to poach their coach?

By Booger926
4/15/2018 10:00 am
Also, I have no freakin' idea why a team that was / is currently successful by continuously being in the playoffs should be taking coaches from those teams which are not successful. Why, if you have been to the Conference Championship game twice in two seasons, why are you taking coaches from another team if the last coach to retire on your team was in 1974. Why did you take a new HC, OC, and DC?

By ToroTex
4/15/2018 12:48 pm
I agree that poaching is frustrating. It's happened to me one too many times.

BUT, unless there is a MFN-wide change/solution (which I would applaud), we should leave it as is...as annoying as that continues to be...

By trslick
4/15/2018 2:46 pm
Booger asked about this many moons ago with no action taken! In MFN many have said coaches mean so little to this game,so why take another owners coach! I have never taken a coach from
an owner, but have lost many and just hire the next in line. So are they something to be concerned about or not?

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/15/2018 3:32 pm
Booger926 wrote:
Also, I have no freakin' idea why a team that was / is currently successful by continuously being in the playoffs should be taking coaches from those teams which are not successful. Why, if you have been to the Conference Championship game twice in two seasons, why are you taking coaches from another team if the last coach to retire on your team was in 1974. Why did you take a new HC, OC, and DC?

What? Good teams shouldn't be allowed to improve their coaches?

By SunBlaze22
4/15/2018 4:20 pm
I'd just like to add onto the Booger's statement here.

In the NFL, coaches can just up and leave from one team to the next. I won't deny that. But at least the team the coach is leaving know to a degree that there is a possibility that the coach might be leaving. And when they do decide to leave, they usually have to tell the old team that their leaving before they actually do. They don't just one day stop showing up.

Whereas, on here, you have no indication whatsoever. You just log on one day, and bam your coach is gone and all of a sudden you have to find a new one.

So at least, don't make the argument that no notice should be required "just because it's how it works in real life/the NFL" or whatever, because that's wrong.

I'll still be fine with whatever the majority decides, but just in my opinion i'd prefer a somewhat warning or notice.