League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

2009 Random Observations

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
2/19/2024 1:56 pm
Week 1 is in the books so let's see what pops out at me.

No team scored 40 points or more and all but 3 teams scored at least 10.

Washington scored 9 points, New Jersey 8 and Boston 0.

Six teams scored 30 or more...Oklahoma scored 37, Southern California scored 32 and 4 teams scored 31...San Jose, San Antonio, Birmingham, and Philadelphia.

The Southwest has 2 losses already but that was going to happen no matter what unless 1 game ended in a tie as it was divisional week for them. Oklahoma beat Houston while San Antonio beat Memphis.

6 of 8 divisions are 2-2 overall with the Southeast having 3 teams start 1-0 and just 1 team in the West won.

We only had 2 QBs top 300 yards, with Oklahoma's Raymond Settles torching Houston for 468 yards while Glenn Burns of Memphis threw for 387.

Settles also threw 3 TD passes, tying him for the early lead with John Barrios (Southern California) and George Warner (San Antonio).

Six QBs threw multiple INTs with Baltimore's Hector Bednar throwing 3. Bednar also was sacked 7 times, most of any QB Week 1.

We had 5 ball carriers top 100 yards (3 RB, 2 WR) with San Jose's Lynn McLaurin leading the way with 124 yards. Michigan's Charles Keller had 115, Houston's Randy Savage had 111, Tampa Bay's James Aguirre had 108 and Charlotte's Barry Anderson had 104.

Three runners had multiple TD runs, two were teammates. San Jose got 2 rushing TDs each from David Babin and James Valdez. Philadelphia's Frederick Martin ran in 2 scores for the Bell.

Valdez had quite the odd stat line, as he was credited with 0 yards on 2 carries with 2 TDs.

We only had 5 receivers top 100 yards, led by Oklahoma's Domenic Winstead, who caught 8 for 193 yards and 3 TDs. His teammate Donald Ramirez is 2nd in the league with 151 receiving yards, Rounding out the top 5 are Glenn Graham, San Antonio (110), Randy Schmidt, Memphis (107), and Jason Wharton, Philadelphia (106).

We had 3 kickoff return TDs, 1 each by James Peterson (New Orleans), Glenn Graham, San Antonio, and Rodger Brown, Charlotte.

Not much went right for New Jersey in Week 1 but Bazinga, Sheldon Cooper had 4 sacks to lead the league. Three players are tied for 2nd with 3 sacks each. Kenneth Allen of San Antonio had 2 sacks and 5 hurries to lead the league in QB pressure.

Birmingham's Hiram Scott leads the league with 2 INTs. There were 26 INTs league wide and Scott was the only one with multiple picks. There were 3 Pick Sixes though, Leon Favreau (Shreveport), Charles Lukasik (Philadelphia), and Malcolm Porter (Honolulu).

Re: 2009 Random Observations

By Dogboyuk75
2/19/2024 2:12 pm
cooper was causing havoc in alot more plays than the 4 sacks hes a beast

2/22/2024 6:21 pm
It's almost time for Week 3 but there's still time to look at Week 2.

We have 10 teams off to 2-0 starts and 10 teams off to 0-2 starts. Every division has at least 1 team 0-2 and all but the West have at least 1 team 2-0.

San Antonio (65), Oklahoma (61) and Birmingham (61) lead the league in scoring.

Boston (0), Washington (12), Portland (19) and Arizona (19) are the lowest scoring teams through 2 weeks.

New York (17), New Orleans (18), San Jose (19), Georgia (19), and Charlotte (19) are the stingiest defenses in points allowed.

Houston (67), Arizona (66), and Washington (66) have allowed the most points.

The champs, New Orleans are off to a 2-0 start after defeating Pittsburgh 22-5. The VooDoo shut down the Maulers run game, allowing negative 8 yards on 20 carries while Mark Adams kicked 5 FGs.

Cleveland and Michigan have new owners but for the Panthers, the new boss is the same as the old boss. Hellbringer is back after a hiatus and his Panthers trailed krappo's Thunderbolts 17-9 in the middle of the 4th. Cleveland had just kicked a FG to take that 17-9 lead when Wesley Her returned the kickoff 101 yards for a TD. Willie Reddish converted the 2 point pass and we were tied.

Just before the 2 minute warning, Reddish was sacked in the end zone to give Cleveland a 19-17 lead. Michigan tried and converted on onside free kick, keeping the ball and Reddish threw a 52 yard TD pass to Brendan Tullis. The 2 point try failed but Michigan took the lead 23-19. Cleveland had time though and Carl Langlois led the Thunderbolts down the field. He only completed 3/6 on the drive but his 19 yard TD pass to #19 Jerry James gave Cleveland the lead, with the XP making the score 26-23. Michigan then drove into Cleveland territory before running out of time.

Last week Memphis won the turnover battle and the yardage battle but lost the game. This week they also won the yardage but 266 is not what Memphis expected. Committing 4 turnovers will do that to an offense. Shreveport only committed 1 turnover but it was costly as Irving Thornton hit the trifecta with a sack, stripping the ball out, and scooping it up and rambling 16 yards for a TD. The Memphis defense saved the day and held on after the Showboats took the lead for good midway through the 4th, 17-16.

Charlotte is off to a 2-0 start after their 20-10 victory over Baltimore. Michael Downey had a sack which caused a fumble that he scooped up and rambled 45 yards for a score. We'll find out a lot about Charlotte the next 6 weeks as their schedule toughens.

Pittsburgh has dominated the Atlantic recently, but it seems the division is wide open now. The Maulers still have talent but Hammond was the key as his system was tough to beat. Hammond is gone and so is the kicker (need to find my password for alt account) so the door is open for Charlotte or rebuilding Baltimore. AI Washington looks non competitive through 2 weeks.

Speaking of AI run Washington, Georgia had their way with them, winning 41-3. Adam Patrick wasn't sacked, which is headline news for him. Patrick threw for 358 yards and 4 TDs while getting nearly 200 yards of help from the running game, led by the 130 from Samuel Dunlap.

San Antonio easily beat AI Arizona 34-3, led by QB George Warner, who threw for 319 yards and 3 TDs. Glenn Graham had 203 combined yards, catching 8 for 89 and rushing for 114 and a TD.

Houston is a top 10 scoring team but their defense has struggled out of the gate in 2009, allowing a league high 67 points. Gamblers QB Dale Baber played well when he was upright, throwing for 329 yards and 3 TDs but the Stallions defense sacked Baber 8 times. Birmingham QB Russell Gall didn't throw for many yards but he completed 15/16 and the running game chipped in 179 yards. Birmingham took a 27-13 lead early in the 4th, then held on for a 30-25 win.

Raymond Settles threw 3 TD passes in the 2nd qtr to help Oklahoma get out to a 21-3 lead on Portland. The Outlaws allowed yardage to the Storm in the 2nd half but Portland was just 1/2 on FGs, had a drive end on downs and their last drive covered 91 scoreless yards before time ran out as Oklahoma held on for victory.

Oakland beat Florida 22-10 as the Invaders racked up 409 offensive yards. QB Domingo Robinson completed 20/28 for 270 yards and a TD, completing passes to 11 different receivers. Oakland also used 5 ball carriers to run the ball not including QB kneeldowns. Defensively, Oakland forced no turnovers and had no sacks but they also held Florida under 200 yards of offense.

Jacksonville won the Southeast in 2008 and they are off to a 2-0 start in 2009 after defeating Tampa Bay 30-10. The Bulls had 409 offensive yards with William Barron completing 25/33 for 292 yards and a TD. Defensively they shut down the pass, as Curtis Torres was 15/34, 116 yards and 2 INTs. James Aguirre ran for 125 yards and a TD in a losing effort.

Philadelphia beat Orlando 21-12 in a battle of playoff hopefuls as Joel Jasso completed 25/45, 274 yards and 3 TDs. Jasso was sacked 4 times but Philadelphia's defense had 5 sacks and an INT as the Bell got the best of the Renegades today.

Looks like this season, Smirt has decided to run over everybody instead of throwing 70-80 times a game. So far it's working as Lynn McLaurin ran for 190 yards and a TD and he leads the league in rushing after 2 weeks. I normally wouldn't type such a miniscule passing line, but those of you that have been here know how pass happy San Jose has been. Not that there's anything wrong with that but Larry Henderson completed 8/13 for 60 yards and a sack...for the entire game. That used to be 1-2 drives.

Before I go to the next game, I feel like posting that I'm in danger meme with that Simpson's kid on the bus. My Generals have San Jose on the schedule tonight and New Jersey sucks at stopping the run, we're 31st in yards per carry. The record for rushing yards in a game was set in 1974 as Philadelphia's Jose Medina ran for 305 yards against New York. Medina also had 303 against Charlotte for the only 2 300 yard rushing games in league history.

San Jose's team record was also set in 1974 when Christopher Gray ran for 239 yards against Charlotte. If I had to guess, McLaurin will have between 240-299 yards, enough to break the team record but not quite enough for the league record.

Detroit led Chicago 7-3 at the half before a wild 3rd quarter. Chicago got the ball first and punted while mark Lott was intercepted on Detroit's first 3rd qtr drive. Chicago took over on the Detroit 3 and 1 play later David Pinkerton's 3 yard TD run gave the Blitz the lead. Detroit would punt then Eric Hansen was sacked and injured, leaving the game for a bit. Alex Allen came in and threw an INT that Donald Molina thought he returned for a TD but was ruled down short of the goalline. It took Detroit 3 plays to convert but they finally took the lead back 14-10 on a short TD run by Matthew Reynolds. Alex Allen then threw another INT which led to a Detroit FG. David Pinkerton returned the ensuing kickoff 98 yards for the game tying TD once the XP went through.

Detroit took the lead for good early in the 4th when Mark Lott found Matthew Reynolds for a 21 yard TD pass. Inside the 2 minute warning facing a 4th and 10 from the Detroit 26, Chicago faced a tough decision...go for it or kick a FG and try an onside kick. The Blitz tried the latter, made the FG but the onside kick failed and they never saw the ball again, losing 24-20.

Honolulu beat Southern California 23-10 to even each team's record at 1-1. Honolulu had a balanced attack as their 3 headed BCBC (ball carrier by committee) had 155 combined rushing yards (not counting the 4th guy's 1 for minus 1). Victor Russell completed 28/33 for 228 yards and a TD. The Hawaiians defense intercepted 3 John Barrios passes and sacked him 3 times.

Through 3 quarters New Jersey led New York 17-7 and pinned the Stars at their own 7 after a punt early in the 4th. QB Jamie Orman completed 5/7 on the drive, advancing to the Generals 25 before James Luna took a handoff and ran the final 25 yards for a score. The XP made the score 17-14 New Jersey. The Generals went three and out then the Stars tied it with a FG. Vic Mackey, who finished the day with 169 rushing yards and a TD, lost a fumble which led to New York getting the tiebreaking FG inside 3 minutes to go. The Generals would get the ball back twice more but couldn't advance into New York territory and the Stars hold on for the come from behind win.

Denver beat Los Angeles 14-10 as Kevin Hillman led the Gold to victory. Hillman caught a 10 yard pass from Bryant Smith as Denver took a 7-0 lead early in the 2nd qtr. Los Angeles would cut it to 7-3 with a FG but Hillman took the ensuing kickoff 104 yards for a TD and the XP extended the Denver lead to 14-3. David Bogner had a 69 yard TD run to cut the lead to 14-10 in the 3rd qtr but the Denver defense forced the Express to punt the rest of the game to hold on for the win.
Last edited at 2/22/2024 6:39 pm

2/22/2024 6:28 pm
The bleeped word, if you can't figure it out based on context was *******. I can't believe that got censored, weak imo.

2/22/2024 6:29 pm
LOL I can't even spell it out.

Give me an S.

Give me a U.

Give me a C.

Give me a K.

What do you get? Censored.

2/22/2024 6:36 pm
I think it was a Tide commercial but I heard that word used on television. The female told her male partner he "stinks" at folding clothes but she said the other s word that got censored here.

I get not saying f-bombs, GD, sob, calling someone a Richard, etc but censoring ****?

The baby sucked his thumb.

**** out the poison.

Ok I can type sucked but not ****. What about sucks or sucking?

If you can't tell, I'm not a fan of censorship.
Last edited at 2/22/2024 6:37 pm

2/22/2024 6:40 pm
I edited the post so there are no asterisks. Lame.

I'm watching South Park where Stan nominates John Edwards for Biggest Douche in the Universe and I'm wondering if douche is allowed.
Last edited at 2/22/2024 6:47 pm

By Cjfred68
2/22/2024 7:30 pm
The new subscription models sucks but I don't give a **** if I have to pay since I've always paid but losing owners who cant/won't pay does **** the big one!!

Edit:

Confirmed you can't say **** in the forums, that sucks!!!!
Last edited at 2/22/2024 7:31 pm

2/22/2024 7:31 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
The new subscription models sucks but I don't give a **** if I have to pay since I've always paid but losing owners who cant/won't pay does **** the big one!!

Edit:

Confirmed you can't say **** in the forums, that sucks!!!!

Well ******* said haha

2/25/2024 8:46 am
Week 3 saw 5 shutouts across the league and Boston was not one of them. The Breakers came into Week 3 with 0 points on the season but they finally got on the scoreboard this week with a FG. The teams that did get shutout this week were AI Arizona, AI Washington, Detroit, Shreveport, and Charlotte. The teams doing the shutting out were Cleveland, Michigan, AI Los Angeles, Birmingham, and Chicago.

In the first 2 weeks we had just 1 team crack 40 points but it happened 3 times this week. Honolulu hung 40 on Boston, Oakland scored 43 against Denver and Philadelphia scored 61 against Southern California.

The 3-0 Club

San Jose
San Antonio
Oklahoma
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Birmingham
New Orleans
Philadelphia

The 0-3 Club

AI Arizona
Houston
Orlando
Shreveport
Baltimore
AI Washington
New Jersey
Boston

San Jose beat New Jersey 16-9 as Larry Henderson threw 2 TD passes. The Generals defense was focused 100% on the run and overall they played decent and kept New Jersey in the game. Offensively though, the Generals had their 3rd straight sub par performance and they fall to 0-3 with all losses by 7 points or less.

Cleveland improves to 3-0 with a 21-0 win over Arizona. The Thunderbolts defense allowed just 118 yards, had 4 sacks and intercepted 2 passes, including a Pick Six by James Mitchell.

Two of the three "New" teams met in New Orleans today as the New Orleans VooDoo improve to 3-0 with a 14-6 win over New York. The scoring was somewhat symmetrical as all scores except extra points were scored by guys named Kenneth. Kenneth Anderson threw 2 TD passes in the first half for New Orleans while Kenneth Williams made a pair of FGs in the second half for the (NY) Stars.

Georgia beat Tampa Bay 14-10 behind 2 TD passes from Adam Patrick. Georgia has allowed 80 or more sacks 3 seasons in a row and 76 the year before that, and they started this year by allowing 6 against Pittsburgh. The Force lost that game but they are now on a 2 game winning streak in large part because they have allowed zero sacks since that Week 1 loss. Good things can happen when your QB is upright.

Today Orlando outgained Portland 364-292, held the Storm under 2.5 yards per carry, allowed just 18/43 passing and held Portland to 3 FGs in 4 red zone trips. Orlando was a perfect 2 for 2 in the red zone offensively but they also had the game's only 2 turnovers as they lose 19-14. The Renegades fall to 0-3 but they have faced 3 playoff teams from 2008 to start the season. The schedule eases up a bit from here and if I were in the Southeast, I wouldn't forget about Orlando.

Michigan shutout Washington 21-0 as the Panthers balanced attack led the way along with solid defense. Michigan ran for 176 yards and threw for 174 while Charles Keller had a rushing TD and a receiving TD.

Detroit had 5 turnovers, 4 of them Mark Lott INTs as they get shutout 9-0 by AI Los Angeles.

It was Southwest showdown again this week as all 4 teams had division games. Oklahoma beat Memphis 24-13 behind 2 TD passes by Raymond Settles. Memphis QB Glenn Burns threw for 365 yards on 39/63 passing but that included 3 INTs as the Outlaws improve to 3-0.

Houston, we have a problem. The Gamblers defense is not playing well at all, ranking near the bottom in everything except pass attempts against. Today was more of the same as San Antonio ran for 275 yards, threw for 284. George Warner actually threw for exactly 300 but sacks took away 16 yards. Glenn Graham had a combined 209 yards, with 162 yards and 2 TDs coming on the ground. Today though, the Gamblers defense could have played great and they would have likely still lost as the offense had an equally miserable day as the defense. They did run for 5 yards a carry but Dale Baber completed just 13/32 for 106 yards and their only TD came on a Rick Rude 108 yard kickoff return.

Oakland had their way with Denver in a 43-3 win as 5 ball carriers combined for 304 rushing yards and Domingo Robinson threw 3 TD passes. Miguel Gilbert caught all 3 TD passes among his 4 for 131 yards. Defensively they held the Gold to 125 total yards.

Jacksonville beat Florida 18-3 in a game where neither team reached the red zone. Jacksonville struggled offensively, gaining just 209 total yards and allowing 5 sacks but they didn't turn the ball over. The Bulls defense intercepted Nicholas Meis 3 times and sacked him twice, once for a safety.

Birmingham beat Shreveport 28-0 in a nearly flawless game. Every Shreveport drive except one ended in a punt and the one that didn't was ended by halftime. The Stallions ran for 253 yards while QB Russell Gall completed 21/25 for 229 yards and 3 TDs and they were an incredible 13/16 on 3rd down conversions. Birmingham got the ball with 9:42 left in the game and held onto the ball until the clock hit 0:00. Philip Snyder ran for 128 yards and Arnold Griego caught 2 TD passes.

Chicago beat Charlotte 20-0 as Hornets QB Chris Miller started both halves with an INT and Charlotte missed a FG on their 3rd possession. Chicago wasn't great offensively but they did enough to put 20 on the board and that was plenty to get the win today.

Honolulu beat Boston 40-3 as they held onto the ball for 42 minutes and scored points in all 3 phases to improve to 2-1. Victor Russell threw 2 TD passes, Michael Sinclair took the second half kickoff 109 yards for a TD and Doyle Miller recovered a fumble in the end zone after a Dana Nelson strip sack.

AI Pittsburgh escaped with a 12-10 win over Baltimore, getting 9 sacks including one for a safety. Despite all those sacks, the Stars still outgained the Maulers 200-140 but kicker Tom Overton missed 2 of 3 FG tries, getting outkicked by Pittsburgh MLB James Paxton, who made 1/2 FGs.

At first glance it seems there were lots of offensive fireworks from both teams in Philadelphia's 61-35 win over Southern California, but only the Bell filled the stat sheet. Southern California kick returner Ryan Habib tied a record set in 1974 by Gregory Shea of Memphis and matched last year by New Jersey's Calvin Rose by returning 3 kickoffs for TDs. The Sun actually had 4 kickoff return TDs today as for some reason, Phillip Curry took the second half kickoff instead of Habib and he took that 101 yards for a score.

When they weren't returning kicks for TDs, John Barrios was throwing INTs, finishing with 4 on the day. When the Sun were on defense, they were getting pounded by Frederick Martin (158 rushing yards) or torched through the air by Joel Jasso (33/47, 432 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT). Jasso's favorite receiver today was Jason Wharton, who caught 9 for 213 yards and 3 TDs.