League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Max Contract Loophole Discussion

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/07/2022 9:16 pm
Waitwut wrote:
That's not correct. The bonus is only 181400 per year times six. If cutting after year 1 the remaining 4 years excluding year 2 would be dead money in year 3.

Making year 2 dead money 181400, year 3 dead money 181400 X 4, which is less than 750k

Lol I got the columns backwards. Why is the bonus on the left? It's always on the right when I look at it.

By Waitwut
4/07/2022 9:20 pm
Not sure. I think the example just has a lot of contrast between values haha. That's a **** of a contract that would look good on paper but bad in practice.

By Cjfred68
4/07/2022 10:05 pm
Waitwut wrote:
That's not correct. The bonus is only 181400 per year times six. If cutting after year 1 the remaining 4 years excluding year 2 would be dead money in year 3.

Making year 2 dead money 181400, year 3 dead money 181400 X 4, which is less than 750k

It's 907,000 in total dead money total if you cut him year 2....it's just semantics....181,400 in year 2 and the rest in year 3.......that's not the relevant point!

The point is you can offer veterans big money without ever actually meaning to pay them which wins you a free agent bid via a quirk in the contract system.

I know dozens of ways to game this sim which I don't use because it's not a fair tactic....in my opinion....but others have no problem with it.

The bottom line is do I chose to use anything allowed by the sim to gain an advantage? Personally, I set my own limits but everyone has different feelings so if you allow everything then everything becomes fair game.

Even these balloon contracts have limits which means there is a cap to what you can offer but everyone needs to know what these limits are if free agency is to be fair and equitable.

4/07/2022 10:16 pm
I think the best way to make things as fair and equitable as possible without making rules is to fully expose things like this so anyone can use them if they choose. I could make rules and kick people out if they break them, but then we have to deal with AI making bad contracts.

I would love to make a rule to curb this without having to resort to booting someone, but nobody has come up with anything. I'm still open to suggestions on that end.

By Cjfred68
4/07/2022 11:08 pm
As a fellow league admin....I'm all for no rules.....if the game allows it then so be it....4.6 has zapped the fun out of it so I say anything goes.

I'm even to the point where if someone wants to lose and wants there RG to punt and MLB to kick FGs then let em!

If somebody thinks getting the #1 overall pick makes that much of a difference then let em go 0-16 and lose 50-0 every game. No 1 player is worth that and I'm never drafting #1 overall so what do I care.....have fun losing is what I say....tank for Tua! How did that turn out? Too soon to tell but if he can't get it done this season.....Tua has no excuses!!!!

After creating the Death & Destruction League where there are no rules and no injuries....I have zero headaches as an admin!!!!

Just my 2 minute rant for the day and my opinion amounts to nothing in the end. It's Greg's league and it's great and I will follow whatever rules he makes.

7/04/2023 7:09 am
I was asked if this was legal this morning, so I scanned this thread and found we had a vote that ended 9-7. Since I prefer about a 2:1 ratio for changing/making rules and we found no other punishment besides banishment, it's allowed.

Since someone asked, I would assume they're gonna use it so I'm trying to give fair warning.

By Rialto
7/04/2023 11:03 am
Where is the loophole when everyone can do the big offer ?

By Cjfred68
7/04/2023 11:51 am
Rialto wrote:
Where is the loophole when everyone can do the big offer ?

It's not so much about opportunity and more about knowledge that Max contracts can be manipulated.

I started but haven't completed a help guide in my XFL league. It does include a guide on increasing the Max contract with pictures.

https://xfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/4/1129?page=1#9505

Knowledge is power

By Rialto
7/04/2023 11:53 am
... i have made one big offer ... we will see if I get him.

By Cjfred68
7/04/2023 1:35 pm
How much is the offer for?