League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Max Contract Loophole Discussion

By Waitwut
4/07/2022 6:37 am
WarEagle wrote:
It's not a loophole, or cheating.

Where is it ever said that moving the sliders all the way to the right is the "max" contract?

Deciding to do something manually instead of letting the AI handle it for you isn't cheating.

Making rules about this is NO different than saying you can't offer more than X per year.

Any rules not defined by the game are arbitrary. Are there any rules in this league?

This is starting to get confusing. All these other things are rules for what.....? They are not loopholes or cheating because you can do it and it is not written into the game that you can't. Ai wouldn't do it but you can manually. Where was it ever said you can't line up a RB at TE? To be clear admin (in other leagues) implemented the max contract rule before. It is not a new idea or thing AT ALL. This is specifically why smirt asked about it, he knows there are varying sentiments about it.

I like where you're going with this wareagle, what is the point of any rules if you can do it?

https://usflwfl.myfootballnow.com/forums/1/2356?page=1#14460
Last edited at 4/07/2022 7:01 am

By Waitwut
4/07/2022 7:04 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
I will be honest.....at first I thought increasing future base salary in order to offer more money in free agency was genius and saw nothing wrong with it at all.

But others raised concerns so I decided to spent some time tinkering with it to see what could be done.

I don't know if anyone has been using back loaded contracts but if I could figure it out then there are much smarter people on here than me who probably have.

I will be implementing this rule at the end of season in all my leagues.

No changing of future base salary is allowed.

Must use sliders for base and bonus and can manually enter bonus.

How this is tracked???

Standard contracts increase base salary 5% every year....there is never diviation from 5%....so any contract with larger then 5% annual increase in base salary has been manually entered.

Got it?

Thanks

CJ

PS

I'm wasting my time doing this and have a big playoff game with my division rival in a few hours.

PSS

That's an excuse I'm building if things don't turn out good

Here has sample of admin using this rule in XFL

By ArmoredGiraffe
4/07/2022 8:27 am
To me it's essentially telling someone how to use their cap space. The fields can be manually adjusted so to me it was intended for users to alter contracts to their liking. The fact that you can add more money than what the sliders allow is wonky and should probably be changed, but someone somewhere will probably make another contract spreadsheet specifically for these max contracts and they will become the norm until a change happens.

I see why people are against it, but to me any rule against it would be telling someone how to run their team in regards to cap space.

By Waitwut
4/07/2022 9:43 am
It doesn't change bonus though correct? Just salary. The bonus will not increase and cannot increase greater than the slider allows??

I'm really just trying to be a devils advocate here. I have no real care which side of the barn the egg falls. I just play the game.

I also like seeing people opinions on stuff. Happy this league is willing to deal with the questions in this way. Good luck this season everyone.
Last edited at 4/07/2022 9:45 am

By Cjfred68
4/07/2022 10:12 am
Here is when it gets sketchy

I pulled up free agency and made a 6 year 75% bonus contract for the 1st player on the list

It's a 6 year/74.2 million dollar contract but 41.7 million of that is due as base salary in year 6 which means if the player is cut in year 6 then only 4.1 million is dead cap since the 41.7 is base and not guaranteed.

Essentially that means you can offer huge contracts without extreme risk which is a kinda way to cheat the system.

Here's another example, the 1st is a max contract this season....the 2nd is adjusted contract based on a max contract. There isn't much difference but enough to give the 2nd contract the edge.

Last edited at 4/07/2022 10:14 am

By Cjfred68
4/07/2022 10:20 am
And this is just plain cheating. A 6 year contract worth 61 million but it's all in year 6 as base salary so I can cut him after 1 season and only be hit with a dead cap of 907,000!!

So the question is when you allow contracts to be manipulated manually....is everything allowed???
Last edited at 4/07/2022 10:20 am

By ArmoredGiraffe
4/07/2022 10:56 am
I'll admit CJ, I did not know the extent the contracts could be modified and the first and third examples you've shown are kinda busted. Definitely deserves more thought

By Waitwut
4/07/2022 11:00 am
The biggest contact signed this year has bumps of salary of 20%, 17.5%, 15.6%, 14.2% and 13.1%

This at least feed others how to do the same.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/07/2022 8:49 pm
Message deleted because I can't read properly.
Last edited at 4/07/2022 9:42 pm

By Waitwut
4/07/2022 9:06 pm
That's not correct. The bonus is only 181400 per year times six. If cutting after year 1 the remaining 4 years excluding year 2 would be dead money in year 3.

Making year 2 dead money 181400, year 3 dead money 181400 X 4, which is less than 750k
Last edited at 4/07/2022 9:09 pm