The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Rule forcing GM's to use a set number of offensive & defensive plays.

By Smirt211
8/20/2020 7:49 pm
I went back and looked to remind myself. You took the game by the throat at the beginning vs. me, which is rare. 1/8 of the game and a touchdown to put me behind the 8 ball. 1st 7.5 minutes of the game; setting the tone.

It played out atypical for me but also you're one of the lone GMs whom can get these sustained drives on me. You're good...!!!

By setherick
8/20/2020 7:58 pm
I was going to comment to an earlier response that I don't care about how many points I score. These are my KPIs:

1) Overall Defense
2) First Downs
3) Time of Possession
4) Passing Defense
5) Sacks
6) +/-

If I can win 4 of those 6 categories, I can usually win the game.

By Smirt211
8/20/2020 8:01 pm
Your offenses churn on 2) and 3). If you're doing it against me, it must be consistent against everyone.

Games vs. you play out the same: low scoring, battle to the end and hope to survive and unlike 99% of my games I lose out on the play count.
Last edited at 8/20/2020 8:01 pm

By hollyhh2000
8/21/2020 8:53 am
I do understand and second the intention of a rule but imo this will only work when implemented in the engine as a bonus for the opposing team as they don't need any time to figure out the opposing playcall.

However, this is tricky, especially on the defensive side.

Lets say we agree to use minimum 5 plays on defense and I call 100% Goalline Offense, the odds are pretty good that I "hold" my opponent below that threshold.

What should he do? use dime against goalline?

By Smirt211
8/21/2020 8:59 am
It's an eyeball test. That would be fine.

By Smirt211
8/21/2020 9:04 am
Here's what we can't have. A Fat Cat kicking out 2 defensive plays to spread out over many sets, which each being used for 30+ times a game. I'm not digging in to get an exact #. Not only that...the Fat Cat is using 2 defensive plays which do not get an over-use penalty but conversely with each usage - hits up the opposing offense/GM with escalating negative familiarity.

Now if I came with a 2 play offense: FL Hitch and HB Flare (short pass) and brave heart'd at him my plays would be hit up with interceptions and over-use, sacks and failings by mid-way into the 1st and definitely by the end of the 1st Quarter.

The Fat Cat runs the 2 defensive plays every single game - racking up familiarity at insane rates which to sum it up come playoff time: we're f***ed.

The kicker is it's a 100% cribbing and not even home boy's original idea which also = Yikes!

*Explanation: I say Fat Cat only in terms of the style of play giving the utilizing GM the Life of Riley with no risk while enjoying it with a Cheshire grin.

Last edited at 8/21/2020 9:05 am

By Cjfred68
8/21/2020 10:32 am
I get the frustration involved in this but unfortunately this isn't a rule that can be implemented or enforced.

Unfortunately, this game was designed so the defense had the final say via rules to pick the defensive set used versus a particular offensive formation.

I've played over 150 seasons combined in MFN and I can remember games where the sim had me run the same defensive play all game....it usually resulted in a blowout lose but something within the sim engine combined with my rules created an infinite loop for the same defensive play.

You can select 15 defensive plays every game and the results will vary somewhere beyween 1 and 15 plays being called on defense. 1 is an extreme result but its happened and 15 is almost just as extreme...you usually end up somewhere around 8-10.

The Only answer would be to outlaw any defensive rules and I don't think anyone wants that.

By Smirt211
8/21/2020 11:01 am
I thought about this. The thing that bothers me the most is that it's lifted from Setherick and basically used as the only thing he's doing.

If this came from his own dome or something he saw and innovative-ly put a twist on and then mashed it. I'd say, ok it showed ***** and mental acumen. I'll take the hit and shut up.

By Smirt211
8/21/2020 11:03 am
Right. I recall the recent scenario where you had to convince the sim engine fired off in error: 1 defensive play.

I forget which play.

Generally, rules are tricky. I sometimes triple check because 1 slight variance and you could over-run with it.

By CrazyRazor
8/21/2020 11:22 am
Cjfred68 wrote:
I get the frustration involved in this but unfortunately this isn't a rule that can be implemented or enforced.

Unfortunately, this game was designed so the defense had the final say via rules to pick the defensive set used versus a particular offensive formation.

I've played over 150 seasons combined in MFN and I can remember games where the sim had me run the same defensive play all game....it usually resulted in a blowout lose but something within the sim engine combined with my rules created an infinite loop for the same defensive play.

You can select 15 defensive plays every game and the results will vary somewhere beyween 1 and 15 plays being called on defense. 1 is an extreme result but its happened and 15 is almost just as extreme...you usually end up somewhere around 8-10.

The Only answer would be to outlaw any defensive rules and I don't think anyone wants that.

This is where the reputation of being an upstanding GM comes into play. I mold my plays & my rules based on past results. I continuously evolve my gameplans when I notice a "hiccup" in play usage.
I haven't done it in a while, simply because I am exhausted from this code. It's become mundane & uninteresting.

I agree with all that say we need a fresh change.