The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Rule forcing GM's to use a set number of offensive & defensive plays.

By CrazyRazor
8/19/2020 11:37 am
I also love the fact that this confirms that certain GM's have done their "due diligence" in acquiring breakdowns of all of the best GM's in the MFN Universe.

THANK YOU for changing a suspicion to a bona fide truth!!!

By CrazyRazor
8/19/2020 11:39 am
Bless your precious little heart, IoT.

By Infinity on Trial
8/19/2020 11:49 am
I'm not critical of anyone's gameplan (more like envious), but I am genuinely interested in where the line is. If 15 plays are required, can you still use 1-4 plays for a majority of snaps and sprinkle in the others?

Why 15 and not 10 or 20 or 25?

Why aren't the override penalties enough?

I think we can all agree that using a single play all game doesn't pass the smell test (even if it is realistic: see 85 Bears, Tampa 2, etc.), but everybody abuses some plays on both sides of the ball to some extent. Or they lose.

Setherick and I have been very transparent about utilizing a DB of plays to guide decision making. He manages the DB, and I sometimes ask him for an output — like what passing plays have a median gain of 7 yards and 60% completions. I'm beginning to think I built better plans before the DB, but he does it to keep his SQL skills fresh.

Also, I'm not exposing any secret information about play selection here. This same information is available to your upcoming opponent through the in-game gameplanning screen.

By Smirt211
8/19/2020 11:59 am
your upcoming opponent through the in-game gameplanning screen.

The difference is it puts it out there - broadcast - in black, bold print for the entire league to digest, at once. Plus, once something is put in permanent ink on a thread it takes on more power such as Setherick touting MAN OLB Flat Zone. Subsequent to that I'd go through daily rotations and you'd see the more aggressive types attempt to mash with it. (Lucky, I think that was his name, to supply one - whom has since moved on from the game)

The thing about the database is it could start to inform decisions and it'll aid, obviously but it never goes off feel or can sense a change.

It'll be honed in on the #s, making life as hard as possible for the opponent but being beholden to not getting zapped by detouring from them.
Last edited at 8/19/2020 12:04 pm

By Cjfred68
8/19/2020 12:24 pm
Another flaw in the game!

Why does the defense always get to select its play/formation based on the offensive formation?

Because the game lacks motion!

I could easily break the huddle in a 212 formation....read the defense and send a back in motion to become a 113 set or vice versa bring a WR back into the backfield and become a 311.

Because the game lacks true audibles!

An intelligent QB could read the defense and change the play at the line of scrimmage.

Because the game lacks true no huddle game play.

An offense could get the defense they want stuck on the field by not huddling and going to a hurry up offense.

I like the 20 offense/15 defense rule being implemented. The problem is owners will still make rules where if the offensive formation is 212....they will use the 46 Heavy play....etc....which means they may select 15 defensive plays but only use 7 or 8.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/19/2020 12:25 pm
I'd be happy to discuss this issue, but if we do, I'll need people to refrain from responding to every comment/opinion. In order to come to a consensus, we need to hear all opinions, not just ones we agree with.

In previous "discussions", we've had people respond to every comment in an attempt to shout down a difference of opinion. We're on page 2 and we've only heard from 3 people, and one is no longer in the league. Please step back and let others weigh in if we're gonna do this right.

By Smirt211
8/19/2020 12:26 pm
I vented and stated my case so I'll be quiet to let others weigh in.
Last edited at 8/19/2020 12:28 pm

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/19/2020 12:39 pm
Thanks Smirt. Personally, I agree that using just a handful of plays is weak but how would I even enforce something like this? Am I going to have to go through all the game logs counting plays?

Do other leagues have a rule like this? If so, how do they handle it?

IMO, using a very limited playbook is a way to "game the sim engine" much like the punt block exploit and overriding an unblockable LB on the DL.

I work tonight, so I won't be watching this thread from 5pm until 4am. Hopefully we'll see an actual discussion instead of a ***** session.

By Smirt211
8/19/2020 1:02 pm
No rules in place on this subject.

Self-police; like a pitcher throwing at a hitter the next time he's up after bat flipping and showboating on a home run.

The angry mob on a punt block, the hitting of the board deters someone from wanting the response to repeat.

Also, there's the pissed off factor. I've already created response ideas in my mind for the next time I face him anywhere if I'm staring down the barrel of this again. (scouting wise)

Crazy Razor was onto something, refined it could work. I'd be for having attachment plays (at least and I'd be ok with 1 other play) You want to utilize MAN OLB Flat Zone and Setherick's 46 Heavy play from the Normal Defensive Set? Then 1 other play must appear vs. the 2-1-2/2 RB-3 WR or 1-1-3 set you're mashing on. It's hard to call it because so many variables but basically you'd want the GM to have to take on 1 other play besides these -30 through -75% post game familiarity plays.
Last edited at 8/19/2020 1:02 pm

By CrazyRazor
8/19/2020 1:30 pm
Self police it. Anyone can see how many plays are used by each GM when they run their gameplans.

All it would take is a quick PM to you, raidergreg, about the violation.......or a public post bringing it out in the open. I prefer the former.