The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

1988 Playoffs

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/28/2020 5:02 am
The quest to reach World Bowl XV begins tonight with our 4 Wildcard games. Let's take a look at the stats and see my soon to be incorrect predictions.

Cleveland Thunderbolts (10-5-1) @ Denver Gold (13-3)

MFN Point Spread: Denver -8

Cleveland: Offense 9th Defense 11th
Denver: Offense 1st Defense 10th

Playoff Record: Cleveland 2-6 Denver 4-6 (0-1 World Bowl)
Last Playoff Appearance: Cleveland 1983 Denver 1985

Head to Head: No playoff games against each other/ No 1988 regular season game

Injuries: Cleveland 6 probable, 1 questionable Denver 5 probable, 1 questionable, 1 doubtful

Prediction: Denver 27 Cleveland 21

Cleveland has won 6 in a row and they are solid on both sides of the ball. Denver isn't as hot but they have the league's best offense and a defense that ranks just ahead of Cleveland, plus they are at home. I would not be at all surprised if Cleveland pulls the upset and I do think they cover the spread. I have to pick the team with the #1 offense though.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Memphis Showboats (10-5-1) @ Southern California Sun (11-5)

MFN Point Spread: Memphis -2

Memphis: Offense 13th Defense 8th
Southern California: Offense 18th Defense 25th

Playoff Record: Memphis 17-4 (4-0 World Bowl) Southern California 2-1
Last Playoff Appearance: Memphis 1987 Southern California 1986

Head to Head: Memphis 1-0 vs Southern California in post season/ No 1988 regular season game

Injuries: Memphis 6 probable, 2 questionable, 3 doubtful, 1 Out Southern California 5 probable, 2 questionable

Prediction: Memphis 32 Southern California 17

The Showboats have won the last 2 World Bowls and Infinity is back running the team following a 13 game hiatus. Memphis is banged up but I can't pick against a team with such a great playoff record.

Re: 1988 Playoffs

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
4/28/2020 5:54 am
On to the National Conference games...

Washington Federals (10-6) @ Baltimore Stars (12-4)

MFN Point Spread: Baltimore -1

Washington: Offense 20th Defense 4th
Baltimore: Offense 6th Defense 1st

Playoff Record: Washington 4-7 (0-1 World Bowl) Baltimore 6-5
Last Playoff Appearance: Washington 1987 Baltimore 1986

Head to Head: Baltimore 3-0 vs Washington/ Split 1988 regular season

Injuries: Washington 6 probable, 1 doubtful Baltimore 2 probable, 2 questionable, 1 Out

Prediction: Baltimore 19 Washington 16

Washington would love nothing more than to get back to the World Bowl after losing to Memphis last year but division rival Baltimore stands in the way of that. The Stars have won 19 of 30 regular season games against the Federals, and an additional 3-0 in the post season. Baltimore has the top ranked defense but Washington is 4th, so the offensive difference plus the historical data lead me to pick Baltimore.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Orlando Renegades (11-5) @ Tampa Bay Bandits (11-5)

MFN Point Spread: Tampa Bay -6

Orlando: Offense 3rd Defense 22nd
Tampa Bay: Offense 10th Defense 16th

Playoff Record: Orlando 2-2 Tampa Bay 6-7 (0-2 World Bowl)
Last Playoff Appearance: Orlando 1978 Tampa Bay 1986

Head to Head: Tampa Bay 1-0 vs Orlando/Split 1988 regular season

Injuries: Orlando 7 probable, 1 questionable Tampa Bay 3 probable, 2 questionable, 1 Out

Prediction: Orlando 33 Tampa Bay 27

Three weeks ago, Tampa Bay seemed headed for a BYE week but 3 losses in a row dropped them down to #4 seed. The Bandits needed tiebreakers to be named division winner and Melvin Driggers has thrown 10 INTs during the skid. Orlando's 3rd ranked offense will surely take advantage if Driggers keeps impersonating Jameis Winston.

By Infinity on Trial
4/28/2020 7:57 am
I'm not liking my chances here ...

By Cjfred68
4/28/2020 12:37 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:

I see 8 players that definately need to sit it out. The good news is you may get 3 more players back if you win....unless you get even more injuries in the Wildcard game.

I actually enjoy situations like this....where your team is banged up and you have to make due with who you have healthy. This is when the importance of quality depth and versatility comes into the equation.

I have little doubt Infinity will make this a close game either way.

Edit to add:

Funny to see Lambert Happy.....he is livid with me....dont know why??? Dudes won 3 of the last 4 titles!!!!
Last edited at 4/28/2020 12:40 pm

By Infinity on Trial
4/28/2020 12:45 pm
Cjfred68 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:

I see 8 players that definately need to sit it out. The good news is you may get 3 more players back if you win....unless you get even more injuries in the Wildcard game.

I actually enjoy situations like this....where your team is banged up and you have to make due with who you have healthy. This is when the importance of quality depth and versatility comes into the equation.

Edit to add:

Funny to see Lambert Happy.....he is livid with me....dont know why??? Dudes won 3 of the last 4 titles!!!!

I actually enjoy the challenge, too, but not during the playoffs. You're right about the importance of depth. That's what separates the upper tiers of owners.

It would help if my fill-in had more than 5 DL active. You put a guy on the field every single down, including ST, and you're asking for an injury cluster.

By Cjfred68
4/28/2020 12:50 pm
Infinity on Trial wrote:
Cjfred68 wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:

Edit to add:

I actually enjoy the challenge, too, but not during the playoffs. You're right about the importance of depth. That's what separates the upper tiers of owners.

It would help if my fill-in had more than 5 DL active. You put a guy on the field every single down, including ST, and you're asking for an injury cluster.

Yeah its gonna to tough but you have won back to back titles. I'm glad you are back in the league but I wouldnt feel bad if you get knocked off either..lol

Good luck and maybe we will meet again in the playoffs

By Infinity on Trial
4/28/2020 12:53 pm
I'm certainly giving it my best shot. If it doesn't work out, I'll look forward to what I can do with this defensive front next season. Just need to add a talented WR (or four).

By CrazyRazor
4/28/2020 4:24 pm
For the 1st time in a long, long time - We both hope to beat each other tonight...... Good luck, 4343. If it's not a blowout by either team, expect a GG post from me. It's long overdue, even for bitter rivals.

By Mcarovil
4/28/2020 7:05 pm
Melvin Driggers approves of these predictions.

By Cjfred68
4/28/2020 7:31 pm
Congrads Greg...that's a nice playoff run that was snapped this season. I'm sure you will be back next season.