The new user interface is in preview!

Want to check it out? Click here! (If you don't like it, you can still switch back)

League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: 1984 All-Pro Ballot is Up!

By Cjfred68
8/02/2019 1:44 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
I didn't want to bring up my team because I don't want it to look like I'm pimping my guys. The only "award" I care about other than World Bowls will be getting James Lockette in our Hall of Fame whenever he retires.

It's just a general point that in my opinion, high tackle numbers aren't a measure of how good a player is. It likely means he's the best player on a bad defense who always has to cover up the mistakes of his teammates.

When I vote, I generally look at INT's and catch %.

Agreed....In my XFL league, I have a thread which tracks single game, single season and alltime career stats for everything from passing to kicking to defense.

The top single season record for tackles after 8 full seasons is from a 3-13 team with the 31st ranked defense (153 tackles).

2nd alltime is from an 0-16 team with the 24th ranked defense (142 tackles)

3rd alltime is from a 4-11-1 team with the 25th ranked defense (139 tackles)

4th alltime is from a 3-13 team with the 28th ranked defense (137 tackles)

5th alltime is from a 6-10 team with the 22nd ranked defense (136 tackles)

By greyghost1225
8/02/2019 2:18 am
Voted

By Hellbringer
8/02/2019 3:53 am
Voted

By Jaybo911
8/02/2019 8:12 pm
Voted

By CrazyRazor
8/02/2019 11:18 pm
Voted-ed-ed-ed

By tribewriter
8/03/2019 12:08 pm
raidergreg69 wrote:
I didn't want to bring up my team because I don't want it to look like I'm pimping my guys. The only "award" I care about other than World Bowls will be getting James Lockette in our Hall of Fame whenever he retires.

It's just a general point that in my opinion, high tackle numbers aren't a measure of how good a player is. It likely means he's the best player on a bad defense who always has to cover up the mistakes of his teammates.

The rest of the league must agree with your because Tampa Bay SLB Grisby, who made 138 tackles, is nowhere near the top of the leader board with only a few hours remaining.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/03/2019 12:49 pm
tribewriter wrote:
raidergreg69 wrote:

The rest of the league must agree with your because Tampa Bay SLB Grisby, who made 138 tackles, is nowhere near the top of the leader board with only a few hours remaining.

Well Grisby had zero INT, zero sacks, and only 3 knockdowns in 73 passes defensed with basically 70% catch allowed (69.9 actually). There were other LB's with better stats imo.

By OffensiveTaco
8/03/2019 11:13 pm
Voted

By Mcarovil
8/04/2019 7:48 am
Are you still upset by boy Grisby broke the tackle record last year and again lead the league this year ? :)

raidergreg69 wrote:
In the middle of voting now, and I just want to make a point I may have made before.

IMO high tackle totals are overrated. The whole goal of a defense is to get off the field as quickly as possible, so I really wish tackles could be broken down like catch allowed %.

For example: (made up stats)

MLB A: 120 tackles, 1 INT, 50.8% catch allowed in 1200 total defensive plays

MLB B: 95 tackles 1 INT 50.8% catch allowed in 850 defensive plays

Without the information of total plays available, player A likely will get more votes even though player B was a more efficient tackler.

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
8/04/2019 11:33 pm
Mcarovil wrote:
Are you still upset by boy Grisby broke the tackle record last year and again lead the league this year ? :)

raidergreg69 wrote:
In the middle of voting now, and I just want to make a point I may have made before.

IMO high tackle totals are overrated. The whole goal of a defense is to get off the field as quickly as possible, so I really wish tackles could be broken down like catch allowed %.

For example: (made up stats)

MLB A: 120 tackles, 1 INT, 50.8% catch allowed in 1200 total defensive plays

MLB B: 95 tackles 1 INT 50.8% catch allowed in 850 defensive plays

Without the information of total plays available, player A likely will get more votes even though player B was a more efficient tackler.

Still upset? That would imply I was upset in the first place, which I wasn't. I didn't even know who had the tackles record, nor do I care. I'm just glad it's not a Generals player with that record because that would mean my defense is on the field way too long.