League Forums

Main - Off-Topic

Re: Need to vent (about work)

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
11/24/2019 9:43 pm
AlexanDragon wrote:
That's the risk of the job for sure! Hope you're allrigth Greg!

Thanks, yeah it's one of the risks, thankfully it doesn't happen much. Another risk is chronic tendonitis from constantly mashing pedals, climbing stairs, and getting in and out of the car so often, in addition to previous injuries (I should have been left handed as much dumb stuff as I've done to injure myself). This wreck has caused that to flare up again.

Probably should have taken Saturday night off but I felt fine at first. As the night went on, the pain started in my back, knee and ankle and got progressively worse. No point of going to Urgent Care, as I already have a prescription for ibuprofen from my regular doctor and I don't want painkillers. I know no bones are broken or muscles torn and I didn't hit my head.

I guess my car has 9 lives because my buddy thinks he can fix it.

By AlexanDragon
11/25/2019 5:56 pm
From the picture it only looked aesthetic. The radiator seems untouched so the motor didn't overheat. I'd be surprised if it was considered a total wreck.
For your pain, would you be able to get some medical assistance paid from either work or the transport association of your state ? thinking about a good chiropractor or a health specific massage person (I have no clue how to say this job line haha ) .

11/26/2019 5:47 am
It's a 2009 KIA Spectra that has been wrecked before, it's not worth much, maybe $2000. I know a guy that can fix it, parts and labor about $1300. That's for the bumper/quarterpanels which is all one piece and 2 headlight assemblies. The radiator is fine, so is the battery but my air filter box not so much. My buddy said the frame wasn't bent either.

I'm not doing anything medical, I'm not trying to milk the insurance company. I got through work tonight a lot easier than Saturday night, I'm fine.

I once almost did physical therapy for my knee/ankle after one of my injuries but if my insurance refused to pay, the out of pocket costs were ridiculous. Even if her insurance were to pay, I wouldn't want to do it. It's our busy season at work and I'm behind in MFN stuff and I just don't want to make all those trips back and forth. One thing about having a delivery job is I don't like to drive much when I'm off work.

By AlexanDragon
11/26/2019 9:07 am
raidergreg69 wrote:
One thing about having a delivery job is I don't like to drive much when I'm off work.

Of course haha !

3/01/2020 8:05 am
Been awhile since I vented about work. Not even mad, just mentally exhausted as we were extremely busy all night, all weekend. I can deal with that, but several customers were just plain stupid and/or drunk, giving us wrong addresses or passing out before we get there. I'm even used to all that, but I think there was some event in Dayton this weekend.

What event? The First Four isn't for a couple of weeks yet, and that affects our Wayne Ave store more than my store. (First Four as in March Madness...the FF is always in Dayton)

We had the Drunk Driving Competition on our streets this weekend apparently. I see bad driving all the time, but the amount of bad driving plus the amount of orders we had plus the amount of stupidity I dealt with have me ready to scream. If I still drank, I'd probably be on beer 7 or 8 now and I haven't even been home 3 hours.

The only reason I put up with this BS is money, and I usually make more the busier we get. In my area, about 95% of customers tip, even if we're running late. After midnight when the really drunk people order, I make stupid money. If I ever cut down to part time, I wanna work midnight to close.

Now it's time to blast some heavy metal, do some laundry and get something to eat from Bob Evans.

4/19/2020 10:06 am
Things have changed a ton since my last post here on March 1st. We've been open the entire time and from what I heard, the first few days of our stay at home order were slow (I self quarantined/dealt with Mom's death). Things picked up after that, and the last few weeks have been some of the best sales weeks our store has had.

A lot of food places are closing early, so we have been extra busy after midnight. We hired 2 drivers (wow, only took an f'ing pandemic to get some help) and brought back some former employees on a temp basis while they are laid off from their current job.

Cops aren't patrolling for traffic like normal and everyone knows it. Dayton drivers **** under normal circumstances and it's much worse now. I don't see as many drunk drivers, but a lot of people think they are the only one driving and I have seen multiple cars blow through red lights and stop signs like they are driving on a highway, not even slowing down. On side streets, I've almost been hit several times by people stopping in the intersection, because they try to blow the stop sign. My middle finger has had plenty of exercise lately.

Most of our customers are nice and tips are better than before even with shittier service, because they realize what's going on. We've had a few rotten apples in the bunch though, and they can ruin an entire night. We have always had a long leash when it comes to customer relations because of the number of drunks we deal with, but our leash is even longer now. So, even though I can get away with hurling a string of expletives at some drunk guy after he tells me to go F myself, it still ticks me off the rest of the night, especially when I had a string of jerk customers in a row.

One of the most frustrating things about this situation is not being able to run errands at 5 am. Our 24/7 grocery stores now close at 11 or midnight and most of the 24/7 gas stations have been closing too. I tried going to the grocery in the daytime but there were just too many people there so I've been eating out way more often.

I'm ready for normalcy again.

By Dogboyuk75
4/19/2020 1:37 pm
as long as you are safe and can earn mate thats a bonus,im unaware of your personal situation whether you have family to support or just looking out for yourself.but over the pond ive been couped up for nearly 4 weeks now spending every second with my kids,trying to home school them,keep them entertained indoors without letting them on technology all day,not earning its shitty deal but im sure im a lot better off than some people :(.
sorry to hear about your mum bud.