League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

I Need Help Making an Anti Tanking Rule

By raidergreg69 - League Admin
6/01/2021 1:28 pm
I am openly asking everyone for any suggestions about possible anti-tanking rules. Earlier this season, Oklahoma went like 8 games without a true kicker on the roster. Now we have Arizona playing the worst of their 3 rookie QBs, a guy whose accuracy will never be higher than 31. There is no good reason for Brian Carmichael to not be playing under center increasing his play knowledge. That will hurt down the line if you decide to try to win in the future.

I have no idea what I can do to stop this, other than point it out publicly. I get why people would tank, but tanking affects everyone, even teams not on the schedule. As we come into the playoff stretch of the season, teams facing a tanking team clearly have an advantage, knowing they can rest any player with a hangnail and still win.

I don't like it one bit, it's pretty weak IMO. It's not much different than those who want to use exploits to game the system, only it's in reverse. You're gaming the system to gain higher draft collateral.

I have been in a position to tank in a few leagues, most recently with this team https://gm-football-league.myfootballnow.com/team/26. Last season I was 2-8 after 10 games, in position for a top 3 pick before winning 4 in a row, falling out of the top 10.

Maybe I'm just wired different, but I would like to find a way to prevent tanking.

Re: I Need Help Making an Anti Tanking Rule

6/01/2021 1:34 pm
Please don't bring up real life NFL. The Jags and Jets tanking for Trevor has nothing to do with our game here. MFN may be an NFL simulation, but they are different enough in too many aspects, even in our playoff scenarios, that makes that argument invalid.

I'd also like to keep the discussion to ways to prevent/discourage tanking. If you support tanking or don't have a possible solution, just say that or nothing at all. Thanks in advance.

By setherick
6/01/2021 2:26 pm
The biggest reason that I don't care about tanking in MFN is that you have no idea what the draft class is going to look like until the end of the year. It's a gamble to possible draft the best **** of the crapheap.
Last edited at 6/01/2021 2:27 pm

By Dogboyuk75
6/01/2021 2:55 pm
think you calling him out is punishment enough plus like seth says might be draft class full of olinemen or DTS and you dont wanna ber wasting 1st pick on someone thats not a difference maker.
aslo very hard to police i mean starting QB with accuracy of 18 is easy to spotbut if its gameplanning wise might be harder to notice,i think if he doesnt up his game fire over PM and if he doesnt respond or give you reason for his strategythen maybe making an example of tanking coach by firing them will put off anyone else from doing same

By slowtospeak
6/01/2021 6:15 pm
I am playing out the string, but I am *not* tanking. The only reason I won't just cut everybody and start over is because that strategy has worked so badly for me in the past. I can't imagine anybody willingly taking on these insane contracts, but accruing a big pile of dead cap is a non-starter, too. Perhaps I could get some wins off of people who actually *are* tanking.

6/01/2021 6:18 pm
slowtospeak wrote:
I am playing out the string, but I am *not* tanking. The only reason I won't just cut everybody and start over is because that strategy has worked so badly for me in the past. I can't imagine anybody willingly taking on these insane contracts, but accruing a big pile of dead cap is a non-starter, too. Perhaps I could get some wins off of people who actually *are* tanking.

There is a difference, nothing wrong with playing out the string, starting new players to see if they are any good, etc. The main problem I have is that Arizona has a possible future star at QB in Brian Carmichael, yet he is playing others who are clearly not ever going to be anywhere as good as Carmichael. There is no good reason for that at all.

By PrivateSnowflake
6/02/2021 8:37 am
I don't think there needs to be a tanking rule. Now if tanking becomes a trend or he's playing OT's at CB, then it's your right as Commish to remove that owner from the league (and I think the league would demand it).

I would however, require each team have a kicker/punter playing. LB's kicking FG is too much.

6/02/2021 10:02 am
Each team is required to have a kicker and punter, it's just an unwritten rule because it's common sense. That's why I was wigging out when Oklahoma didn't have a kicker, and I was so close to booting him for that reason, then he signed one and used him.

There isn't much I can do about tanking, other than outing them in public and/or booting. I am not booting Rialto because Arizona has a boatload of draft picks next year, so I expect him to try and win then.

I'll probably just keep posting here and being a smart *** in the blog, posting his scores like Bell 61 Tankers, I mean Wranglers 0.

I am sure I've missed other teams tanking, mainly because they aren't so obvious about it and I'm sure someone will tank again. All I ask is to not be so obvious about it in the future.

By Cjfred68
6/02/2021 11:54 am
I've given this plenty of thought over the years and never come up with a legimate solution. Requiring owners to have players play their true position like QB, K and P is enforceable but no matter what steps you take, there are simply too many ways to tank.

Looking at Arizona's roster.....they couldn't win if they wanted too. They have a QB and RB on offense and 1 CB and a WLB on defense......thats all folks!

Rialto is a good owner but even he isn't capable of getting a win out of that mess!!

By vcr5150
6/02/2021 12:38 pm
PrivateSnowflake wrote:
I don't think there needs to be a tanking rule. Now if tanking becomes a trend or he's playing OT's at CB, then it's your right as Commish to remove that owner from the league (and I think the league would demand it).

I would however, require each team have a kicker/punter playing. LB's kicking FG is too much.

Currently, the Wranglers have 2 kickers on their roster ..... a pretty good one, and one that is hot garbage. Any guesses which one is starting?
Last edited at 6/02/2021 12:38 pm